WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was going to congratulate but it seems you are not in love with it so I won't force it.

If I were you, I'd return it immediately and move on with my life. Its not for you, its a great watch but doesn't sing to you and that's really fine.

You can't bring yourself to like something. You either do or don't.

I love mine the most and will always remain with me.

And no these are NOT hard to sell ;)

View attachment 16115154
That’s a Skyfall Aqua Terra. Those are not difficult to sell. I would imagine that the regular ATs are more difficult to move.

·
Premium Member
7,747 Posts
Yeah, I'm returning it. Not going to put up with a crown that is so difficult to grip or operate. Certainly not at that price. I loved everything else about it. Definitely bummed. Very few watches with that combination of size, applied markers, lume, WR, and premium movement.
I get your other points, but I don't understand how the crown thing is a problem, though. You set the time once, screw it down, and only mess with it if either the power reserve is dead or DST. That's like wanting to return a car because the oil filter is in an annoying place.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I was going to congratulate but it seems you are not in love with it so I won't force it.

If I were you, I'd return it immediately and move on with my life. Its not for you, its a great watch but doesn't sing to you and that's really fine.

You can't bring yourself to like something. You either do or don't.

I love mine the most and will always remain with me.

And no these are NOT hard to sell ;)

View attachment 16115154
As you should keep that… your AT8500 is the pinnacle of the AT line. Over the last 14 years of collecting, the only watch I truly regret selling is my “Skyfall” AT8500. They never show up on the used market either!
Why Omega deviated from this design is beyond me..

• brushed bracelet
  • non-tapering crown
  • date at 3 o’clock
  • polished date frame
  • vertical lines on the dial

Recipe for a true winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Titan II

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yeah, I'm returning it. Not going to put up with a crown that is so difficult to grip or operate. Certainly not at that price. I loved everything else about it. Definitely bummed. Very few watches with that combination of size, applied markers, lume, WR, and premium movement.
Wise choice, it wasn’t going to grow on you.
I’d suggest finding a like new SMP - the blue, black, or white are outstanding. You’ll save loads buying second hand too but getting it in mint condition.

Reactions: pdaigle

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I get your other points, but I don't understand how the crown thing is a problem, though. You set the time once, screw it down, and only mess with it if either the power reserve is dead or DST. That's like wanting to return a car because the oil filter is in an annoying place.
There's also those pesky short months.

Sometimes I wear a single watch for weeks on end. Others I wear for a few days then switch to the next. In those phases, watches run down and I need to wind and set the time and date again when I pick them up again a week or so later. This could mean using the crown a couple times per month. Because the crown was so difficult to work, I didn't have a good feel for the threads and whether they are running freely or not. This increases risk of cross-threading or stripping the crown, as it's harder to tell if I'm having a hard time because my fingers are slipping or because something is wrong with the threads (yes, I know the back-threading trick to mitigate cross-threading). I had to grip the crown through my shirt to fully screw it down because I simply could not get a grip on it with my bare hand (and made my thumb sore while trying). I could loosen it again without issue, so there wasn't a problem with the threads on that watch.

Watches are meant to be worn and used. The controls should be ergonomic and certainly should not cause the user pain when used.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Wise choice, it wasn’t going to grow on you.
I’d suggest finding a like new SMP - the blue, black, or white are outstanding. You’ll save loads buying second hand too but getting it in mint condition.

SMP is too big for my small wrist. If they ever make a 39mm, I might be tempted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's a bummer alright, but you made the right decision. A watch with a crown that is painful to use is not a watch worth having, and you'll be reminded of that every time you use it.

I too had a watch about ten years ago with a crown that was painful but for a different reason. It was Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Pilots Watch. This is a large 44mm watch with a big crown. The crown was easy to use and the watch looked great on my 7.5 wrist, but the problem was the crown would bite into the back of my hand whenever I bent my hand back. So much so that I developed a sore spot on the back of my hand that would return every time I wore the watch. I tried to put up with it but it's amazing how often a person bends their left hand back throughout the course of a day. I finally threw in the towel and sold it, at a loss of course, a few years later knowing that I should have returned it for the purchase price right away and purchased something else.

And to top it off, after I bought the watch but before I sold it I read a review in Watch Time magazine in which the author mentioned the same issue. I remember thinking, "Great, NOW you tell me." Lol.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good call. If you’re not in love with it now, you won’t be anytime soon. I love my AT, but if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. If you’re spending that much money, you should be really happy with it. Keep looking. The right one is out there. Maybe look at a Ball Fireman Victory. Similar style, great lume, large crown, cool heritage, and less expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've been in a situation like OP and I flipped it. It was an expensive watch and the crown was 'grindy' and difficult/unpleasant to operate. As silly as it may be, at that point it became a matter of principle. I paid X thousand for a luxury watch and I expect it to be smooth as butter, the fact that it's not is a flaw. Some people turn a blind eye and some don't

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Hmmm. I think that the OP was just uncomfortable with spending that much. Once you get used to it, you will see that the quality is there.

It’s much like a car. The Christopher Ward is like a VW GTI, and the Omega is an M4.

The GTI is a *****in’ car, but after you drive the M4, you’re not going back.

·
Registered
Omega Aqua Terra 41mm
22 Posts
Any more details on the defect and symptoms? Time and date setting were fine. The crown is popped out enough in positions 1 and 2 that I can actually get some purchase on the knurling and get some traction, plus less resistance than winding. Unscrewing it felt OK once I got it un-snugged and is easier than screwing it back down, again because there's very little resistance. I can't get very good purchase when winding because the crown is so close to the case in that position that I can't actually get much of the knurling and there is some resistance in the winding (not quite as much as a 2824/SW200, but it's there). Screwing it back down is difficult for the same reason. The crown winds as you screw it down, so you have resistance from the mainspring plus whatever little resistance in the threads and there just isn't much traction, so you're pinching super hard for grip and that is in turn uncomfortable/painful due to the shape of the crown. Made worse if your fingers have any sweat or oil on them whatsoever.

I've heard similar complaints about other watches with cupcake crowns (Monta), and I get it now. Not the most ergonomic design.
Sorry, can't remember any more details. It was either on this forum or on another that has the brand name in its title.

·
Registered
Omega Aqua Terra 41mm
22 Posts
  • brushed bracelet
  • non-tapering crown
  • date at 3 o’clock
  • polished date frame
  • vertical lines on the dial
Funny, I prefer the unframed date and it being positioned at 6 o'clock, the horizontal lines with their thin-thin-thick pattern and the recessed, tapered crown. And I like polished center links! 🤷‍♂️

So there's at least one person that likes the current models better: me! Good I bought a newer one :giggle:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
That’s a Skyfall Aqua Terra. Those are not difficult to sell. I would imagine that the regular ATs are more difficult to move.
They certainly are. I never expected to get a great price for mine but most dealers just said no. Not even a "we have several in stock so we could offer you 30% on what you paid" etc etc. It was a hard pass. Even my AD didn't want to take it back which was a first.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hmmm. I think that the OP was just uncomfortable with spending that much. Once you get used to it, you will see that the quality is there.

It’s much like a car. The Christopher Ward is like a VW GTI, and the Omega is an M4.

The GTI is a *****in’ car, but after you drive the M4, you’re not going back.

How dare you compare the beautiful AT to an ugly M4! Seriously, BMW used to make really handsome cars and now they seem locked in a battle with Lexus for who can make the ugliest.

I'll admit, there was some sticker shock, but if the crown hadn't been near impossible, and painful, for me to use, I'd have kept it. Like I said before, I second guess practically every discretionary purchase. I left the plastics on my last watch for at least 3 days while I deliberated on whether or not to send it back. It's been my most worn watch the past 2 years and arguably my favorite. The adage "if you aren't 100% sold the minute you see it, you should send it back because you'll never be happy with it" doesn't apply to me.

And if I later decide that maybe I can live with a crown that hurts my fingers to operate and that I have to use the bottom of my t-shirt to get enough grip to seat the crown (imagine seeing the person next to you on a plane do that while trying to set their watch to the current time zone...), I can always buy another one.

·
Registered
Omega ATs, Railmaster, Hamilton, Alpinists
9 Posts
How dare you compare the beautiful AT to an ugly M4! Seriously, BMW used to make really handsome cars and now they seem locked in a battle with Lexus for who can make the ugliest.

I'll admit, there was some sticker shock, but if the crown hadn't been near impossible, and painful, for me to use, I'd have kept it. Like I said before, I second guess practically every discretionary purchase. I left the plastics on my last watch for at least 3 days while I deliberated on whether or not to send it back. It's been my most worn watch the past 2 years and arguably my favorite. The adage "if you aren't 100% sold the minute you see it, you should send it back because you'll never be happy with it" doesn't apply to me.

And if I later decide that maybe I can live with a crown that hurts my fingers to operate and that I have to use the bottom of my t-shirt to get enough grip to seat the crown (imagine seeing the person next to you on a plane do that while trying to set their watch to the current time zone...), I can always buy another one.
OP, as others have touted, you might consider looking for a 2nd Gen AT with the vertical stripes. Doesn’t have the conical crown, yet still a great movement. Grey market options for one still NIB exist and you’ll save some $$. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OP, as others have touted, you might consider looking for a 2nd Gen AT with the vertical stripes. Doesn’t have the conical crown, yet still a great movement. Grey market options for one still NIB exist and you’ll save some $$. Just a thought.
The thought has crossed my mind. Looking at Chrono24, not seeing many LNIB out there (at least in the US, not going to deal with international greys, customs, etc). The 8500 models are rather thick, though. The magnetic resistance also had huge appeal to me. IIRC, the only year the 38.5mm 2nd gens had an anti-magnetic movement was 2016.

·
Registered
Omega ATs, Railmaster, Hamilton, Alpinists
9 Posts
The thought has crossed my mind. Looking at Chrono24, not seeing many LNIB out there (at least in the US, not going to deal with international greys, customs, etc). The 8500 models are rather thick, though. The magnetic resistance also had huge appeal to me. IIRC, the only year the 38.5mm 2nd gens had an anti-magnetic movement was 2016.
Might focus on the >15,000 Gauss model, although I know it’s not 38.5. It’s black instead of blue, but it has that killer yellow and black second hand. I really this this is a future star in the collectible market, tbh. Ref. 231.10.42.21.01.002 but perhaps the size kills it? My apologies, if so.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Might focus on the >15,000 Gauss model, although I know it’s not 38.5. It’s black instead of blue, but it has that killer yellow and black second hand. I really this this is a future star in the collectible market, tbh. Ref. 231.10.42.21.01.002 but perhaps the size kills it? My apologies, if so.
Yes, size kills it. Small wrists...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts