WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GMT II finally arrived! It is in very good condition for a 24 year old watch, although it is clear the watch has been polished, albeit lightly. I'd say the original lines are 90% intact. There is slight rounding around the lugs but I don't think it detracts from the overall aesthetic too much. The underside is still razor sharp. Maybe the lugs will bother me in 6 months or whatever, for the moment I am very happy with my purchase.

Of two things I am certain: I am glad I did not go ceramic, and I'm glad I went for the licorice dial. I much prefer the dimensions and non-maxi style of the 16710. It fits my wrist perfectly. Maybe I'll get a pepsi bezel at some point in the future but I really love the understated look of the licorice bezel. Considering I own a modern Datejust, it was nice to get an older box and accessories. I was surprised at how much smaller the box is. But I was a bit peeved that it did not come with a proper watch pillow (just the outer Rolex sleeve); that's not the way I would have expected a e5000 watch to be transported. But the watch is fine, so no harm done.

Without further ado here are some pics - just so you know it happened.

Obligatory wrist-shots:

Might as well take advantage of those sweet, sweet lug-holes:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'm loving it so far. I've wanted a GMT II for years and now I have finally one! GMT's are far and away my favourite complications.

Tiagu, the watch is a 1991 model (an X-serial). I guess it's the box they used back then. But yeah, as far as boxes go... it is pretty awesome.

Interestingly, the original owner switched the bracelet out for a 93250 in the early 2000's. I'm glad it has solid end links, although it still feels slightly cheap - perhaps even less robust than some bracelets found on much, much cheaper watches (I know this is not the case). It feels great on the wrist though.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Congratulations! Like you, I too prefer the design of the prior GMT over the ceramic model(s).

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That's one sweet sports watch! Congrats on your new Rolex!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the great thing about the 16710. They're all Pepsis waiting to get out.

I can definitely see myself swapping out the black insert at some point in the future. For now though... I love it.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Congratulations on this sublime gmt !
Enjoy with care, it's an old lady =)

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael81

·
Registered
646 Posts
Lovely watch sir, congratulations, ENJOY.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm really happy with my purchase. DKS2375, I'm sure I'll go down that route at some point, although I'm still enjoying the licorice bezel quite a bit.

Franzy, your 116710 looks great; I would have considered it more seriously if I had larger wrists.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts