WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this new 'G'.

Really, really liking this watch. It is the simplest 'G' I have ever bought being a straightforward three hand watch with no date even. I liked the idea of just having a classic setup as a complete contrast to the multi functions of my other 'G's.

I believe the MRG-121T was the favourite 'G' of Sjors at one time so that must be quite a recommendation.

Here are some pictures.

Nice box.

New in box. Nice!

It is the only MRG that is IP coated and that made it very attractive to me as like the smooth black look. No other black MRGs were issued until the DLC models.
I had a new battery installed (it takes a CR2025) and the gasket greased as the watch was dead when I received it. Now everything is done for a few years I hope.

Lovely signed crown.

Limited Edition signed caseback. Don't think many of this model were ever made. This seems to be No 846.

A few wrist shots.

Finally it has a superb lume effect.

The watch feels lovely on the wrist. It is 45mm wide and 50mm to the lugs and 16mm deep to the back protrectors, so it is large without being huge. Being titanium it is nice and light which I generally prefer in a watch. It has a left handed crown but that is no trouble for me as I am ambidextrous and wear my watches on my right hand anyway.

This is quite a rare model in the West as it does not appear to have been issued here and seems to be Japan only. It does not appear on the Casio Watch Perfect Search site

I have seen this model up for sale on eBay for some stupid prices but I got a good deal on it given its rarity.

Of course this is the Eric Clapton edition and the full model number is MRG-121TEC-1A.

Mitch

·
7,405 Posts
Re: New Arrival. MRG-121T

This is an absolutely great find. Enjoy it and wear it in great health Mitch :-!

·
Registered
9 Posts

The lume uses battery?If not,it is really practical,especially if lighting is poor:-!:-!:-!!!!!!!!!
I have a hard time understanding why Casio refused to incorporate EL or LED into the high end analog-only models: Oceanus, MRG, Edifice..there are quite a few of them I like a lot but the lack of "active" illumination is killing me. :-|

·
Registered
279 Posts

I have a hard time understanding why Casio refused to incorporate EL or LED into the high end analog-only models: Oceanus, MRG, Edifice..there are quite a few of them I like a lot but the lack of "active" illumination is killing me. :-|
I agree, but for me, I want to see EL.

I thought that was EL on the OP's watch.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I agree, but for me, I want to see EL.

I thought that was EL on the OP's watch.
Yes, that is EL. Casio's logic is like: Nooo! Lum is totally enough for night viewing, putting LED or EL on a high end watch makes it wayyy too cheap!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Awesome MR-G, Mitch! ;-)

Cheers,
MountainMike

Cheers Mike.

Yes the quality of Casio's MRGs is amazing for the price. Any Swiss manufacturer would charge you many times the price for the same watch.

Some further things about the watch.

It has a screwdown crown. I am not sure about screwdown crowns in general as it gives the watch another point of failure with crossthreading or crown stem failure. Also of course you could always forget to screw it down fully with horrible consequences for its WR.

However the MRG has a very smooth and solid feel when winding and unwinding unlike some highly priced Swiss watches I have encountered which have had a gritty sorty of feel and gave you the feeling the crown stem was going to fail sometime soon.

A sign of the quality of manufacture and care in QC of the MRG is that the 'G' in the signed crown lines up exactly when the crown is fully screwed down. Very nice! b-)

It has a very solid machined titanium clasp nothing stamped here. The clasp is also nicely signed again with Eric Clapton's initials.

Another interesting thing is that the minute hand moves continuosly as in mechanicals not in the 15 or 20 second jumps as seen in other analogue MRGs. I suppose this takes more battery power but the CR2025 has a fairly high capacity and the modern MRGs are all solar and try to save juice wherever possible

All in all this looks better in the flesh than in the pictures it has a real quality and classy feel and look.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Truly an awesome MR-G, maybe the rarest! I'm glad you aren't afraid to wear it.

out of curiosity, did you get it via Yahoo Japan? I saw one for a good price but didn't follow the auction.

Wear in good health, it's a stunner!
Neil

1 - 20 of 32 Posts