WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch purchases have dropped off significantly for me but I do still buy the occasional things. My vintage purchases nowadays are restricted to pretty special things like the NCC 404. I just got another new to em watch yesterday. It took more than a month to reach me. It got to within two kilometres of me and then mysteriously traveled 3200 kms east, before being sent back to Europe before finally making it into my hot little hands.

Anyway here it is:

Two, count 'em, two boxes.

There's a surprise...it's a Diastar. A somewhat uncommon one with Diastar cufflinks.

P8072723 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8072733 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P8072737 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The eight digit reference number means that it is no older than 1972, but probably not much newer. The Diastar 1 had all but disappeared by the changeover to the eight digit reference numbers. The Diastar 8, 8/1 had replaced it as THE Diastar in 1968. Furthermore, a flat crystal Diastar in the 1970s is virtually unheard of.

These things alone are enough to pique my interest but there is an even better reason for me to have bought this.

Here is the Diastar 1 with it's cufflinks alonside the 2012 50 Years of Diastar LE and it's cufflinks.

The 50 Years boxes are even similar.

thanks for looking!

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is a beautiful watch , must have one eventually.
It certainly is amazing the journeys our watches can go on when travelling via Canada Post. I had one take two days from Europe to Eastern Canada and six weeks travelling hither and yon to make to BC.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Nice grab Henry, I love the cuff links with the stones in, are they diamonds?
Whoever had this set when new was a gentleman of good taste and the same can be said of their present owner

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a beautiful watch , must have one eventually.
It certainly is amazing the journeys our watches can go on when travelling via Canada Post. I had one take two days from Europe to Eastern Canada and six weeks travelling hither and yon to make to BC.
I have had that happen more than I care to think about.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a nice looking watch. And with that hard metal the case will look minty for decades to come.
This Diastar 1 makes 14 Diastars in my collection. In total I presently have around two dozen tungsten carbide including Rado Balboas, Elegance/ Royal Elegance and various Louis Rossels. My oldest is one of the very few surviving unnumbered Diastars dating from the first few months of 1962.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Matt. No, I think they are just brights. They are not Swarofsky crystals either, as they do not have a reflective backing. These are my third pair of Rado cufflinks. As well as the exclusive set that came with the 50 Years of Diastar I have another set

HCn by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

All three sets are tungsten, the oldest are clearly shaped like a Diastar, the 50th Anniversary ones have a rotating anchor disc and this set have ceramic inserts. It's nice to see Rado keeping them relevant to their brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts