WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a not too detailed (and short) look at the watches POTUSs have worn and how they're designed to give off a common man feel when in reality, they are anything but common.

Watch This | National Review Online

I was always thought it looked out of place when I saw Clinton wearing that digital ironman (or casio, I don't remember).

Thought?

The bit about Mitt Romney at the end is priceless, even if his watch is not!

Reactions: avusblue

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
So? There's a lot of rich people who have old cheap cars or buy clothes from Walmart.

The reason why in the US the president can't wear fancy watches is due to the stupidity of us wanting a president we want to have a beer with. We would prefer our president to pretend to be the guy at the bar drunk off his a$$, rather than have someone who is thoughtful and intelligent. We'd rather have our president worry about the price of milk (while whining about the subsidies that let us have cheap milk) instead of worrying about foreign affairs. There's a bit of schizophrenia in American politics that force people to pander. At least the president isn't standing in line on launch day for the newest iPhone.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So? There's a lot of rich people who have old cheap cars or buy clothes from Walmart.

That's exactly why I titled the thread as I did; to point out the hypocrisy. We all know Clinton is a serious WIS, but he wore the ironman. The sillyness of it was exactly my point.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Yes...You can identify the "looser" Presidents by their watches.
It is so obvious.....Not a one can keep the job for very long....:roll:
We need one with style and the ability to hold a job...:-d

Reactions: Donf

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
I agree that it's sad ericans would rather have a Joe six-pack type leader than someone who actually isn't afraid to portray themself as a smart leader. I want the Prez to act and dress like a rich/smart guy, I want a leader who is able to make critical decisions and have a strong ego (which is necessary for the job). Wearing a nice watch and looking like a CEO is fine with me!

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
He should dress for the job, and that means looking sharp and professional, IMHO.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
I've decided to make a 5,000th post "In Before the Lock" memorial photo and sit around at 4,999 for a couple of days waiting for the epic moment.

This is where my mind goes when I'm procrastinating to avoid work that I hate.

Sorry for the hijack, but I would have to agree that Presidents and candidates do silly stuff when it comes to presentation of themselves as a reflection of their values. It's laughable, really.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
People may think it is ridiculous that heavily followed politicians wear modest watches, but when Moeldoko wears a Richard Mille the press jumps all over him.

It's a lose if you do, lose if you don't.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
From the article:

Bill Clinton, who is something of a watch fiend (owner of a customized Rolex, a Jaeger-LeCoultre, an Audemars Piguet, a Dubuis, and more), infamously wore a digital sports watch for most of his presidency. He doesn’t do that anymore, because he doesn’t have to pretend to be a man of the people.
New respect for Clinton! For owning the upper-tier watches, not for the faking-it part.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Who, apart from a select few on these forums, actually cares what watch they're wearing?

It's a disservice to a large portion of the electorate to assume they aren't interested in policy.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
People may think it is ridiculous that heavily followed politicians wear modest watches, but when Moeldoko wears a Richard Mille the press jumps all over him.

It's a lose if you do, lose if you don't.
What it suggests is: Moderation. Nobody expects a person of means to ostentatiously wear a cheap watch, and many would think it condescending. (The modest-but-wealthy wearer of a cheap watch because that's the watch he wants to wear does so un-self-consciously and without ostentation.) But neither are they expected to wear something excessively showy. The Rolex Presidents of the past have different connotations now, as tastes have changed, but there are still any number of fine watches of discreet styling that would attract not a whiff of comment. Washington carried a watch made by famous French maker for which he paid 27 pounds, which is about $4000-5000 today, to the extent that equivalencies can be guessed at. Such a watch today would cost ten times that, but such is the nature of how we pay craftspeople versus how they were paid in the 18th Century.

For example: An RGM 801, which is as American as apple pie but still an extremely worthy watch. Not showy, and not likely to attract attention to itself, but if it does, think of all those American workers under Roland's employ who benefited from the purchase, etc.

I suppose one could wear the current Gallet Flight Officer, which is more expensive than the RGM but (much) less than a Rolex President. And there's plenty of precedent for that one.

Rick "or, for that matter, a Vulcain Cricket, but even a Memovox would not attract too much attention" Denney

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
In the 2016 presidential elections, I want all the nominees to wear the biggest ugliest AMERICAN Invicta Russian Diver and, to show their patriotism, change the name to Freedom Divers and to show the russkies how powerful we are that we can take over something like that and demand they be made in the USA, preferably in their district of choice.

At least doing something like that would make half the field more logical and rational than they otherwise would be. :-d

Honestly, I think it's amusing that we make a fuss about these things. It's a watch. Just think of how much more expensive a woman's jewelry would be if she were only allowed one type her whole life?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The President is an actor, and the clothes and watch are props. This is of almost all of them in the modern era, too, btw.

So few people ever stop to think, this guy has the launch codes. Why do we want anyone other than the most extraordinary individuals? Because Americans have as much pride as anyone else, but ours is tied so strongly to our individuality that when success is concrete rather than abstract, it becomes an insult. Which is why Americans love bankers but hate bankers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I can honestly say that I have never once noticed a watch a politician is wearing. And to be honest it would have to be something very noticeable and unusual to be seen, like a 50mm monster of some kind. And as they normally are pictured in suits that isn't really an option.

But having said that they are basically in the business of keeping the public sweet and if people want to have some mistaken belief that a man who has been elected on the back of a multi million dollar campaign is genuinely a blue collar ordinary joe type then more fool them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A funny related story.

A Local liberal senator in my area Gary Peters did a campaign commercial talking about how frugal he is wearing shoes with holes in them and a tattered sweatshirt, but if you look closely at him in the beginning wearing a suit you can see a two toned Rolex Datejust under the cuff.

If you can't see it in that vid, the Datejust is VERY clear in this one

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I agree that it's sad ericans would rather have a Joe six-pack type leader than someone who actually isn't afraid to portray themself as a smart leader. I want the Prez to act and dress like a rich/smart guy, I want a leader who is able to make critical decisions and have a strong ego (which is necessary for the job). Wearing a nice watch and looking like a CEO is fine with me!
Bunga Bunga parties and all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts