WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on the two shades of blue in the 2017 AT? I haven’t had a chance to see the lighter blue but does it look grey under certain angles or just a light blue?

I’m looking for a GADA watch to wear for travel and for semi formal occasions. Here is my current rotation:

Bond Seamaster 2220.80 – my general purpose watch, and my first foray into luxury time pieces. I bought it before I got married and have worn it for every occasion from beach parties, to job interviews to weddings. It’s the most comfy watch I have. I find though that the shape of the bezel and the bezel itself don’t make it suitable for other straps and I just cannot see it looking good without the bond bracelet. Over the years of moving around, I’ve lost the receipt for this and with border services being strict lately, I wouldn’t take this watch travelling outside the country anymore since I cannot prove that I paid duties on it. Considering I’ve owned this watch for almost 7 years, it is still in great shape with no dings or scratches on the case/bezel and only minor scuffs on the links and clasp from desk diving.

Seiko Presage SARX049 – my designated dress watch. ‘nuff said.

IWC Portuguese 3714-45 (white dial, gold numerals) – my “dressy” chronograph and latest acquisition. I love the design despite not really liking chronographs, but it does dress up and dress down well. Only major cons are a lack of date window, and the leather strap doesn’t make it a very summer friendly watch especially when travelling to somewhere warm. The biggest thing I love about this watch is that to a non-WIS, IWC is not very well known so people don’t know I’m wearing an expensive watch. I’ve actually gotten less compliments on this watch than my Bond Seamaster which to me means its quite understated and discrete.

Which would you suggest be a better GADA watch that can also outfit various types of straps from leather to nato. I have fairly slender wrists, but I’m willing to get a 41.5mm watch due to the lug width being compatible with my current rotation

220.10.41.21.03.001 – I’m guessing this is the successor to the skyfall watch. It looks blue, but might look too similar in blue to my current Bond seamaster and I also don’t like how it looks black in some angles.

220.10.41.21.03.002 – The dial looks lighter, which I prefer, but since I have not seen this in person I do not know if its actually blue or more grey than blue. My major concern I have with this is that the dial color looks more trendy and less of a timelessness to it, and that it won’t age well.

The other question is, do you think the AT creates too much redundancy in my current line up? I feel like it does but the AT is way too nice to pass up. It’s just too bad they don’t make the opaline with silver indices anymore.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Bond Seamaster 2220.80 – Over the years of moving around, I’ve lost the receipt for this and with border services being strict lately, I wouldn’t take this watch travelling outside the country anymore since I cannot prove that I paid duties on it.
Hmmm.. How is this a problem? If you're wearing the watch while traveling and going through customs, I don't think they would even be asking about it. I wear mine all the time when I go overseas, never had a problem. And I don't keep the receipt with me too. It's probably in the box, but I don't go around traveling overseas carrying the box with me.

My blue AT with my 2220.80 SMP....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks for a side by side pic!

Not sure what the rules are for SG, but in Canada, the customs officer can actually question jewelry or other high value items we have and the burden of proof is on us to show that we possessed this item prior to leaving the country. If not, we could end up paying duties and penalties. Low risk especially considering I travel with my wife and daughter now and we generally are not the type that would get flagged. But there is always a remote chance and all it would take is one customs officer in a bad mood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts