WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I might have to. Like I said, I took the risk and saved enough on the purchase so that if something went wrong, I could send it to omega to fix and still come out ahead. Knew it going in. Still doesn't make it any easier though. But the alternative is having a watch that keeps erratic time whenever I use it for anything more than arm candy. Don't want that.

Guess it's time to give omega a call. I'd rather do that than send it back to joma.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I might have to. Like I said, I took the risk and saved enough on the purchase so that if something went wrong, I could send it to omega to fix and still come out ahead. Knew it going in. Still doesn't make it any easier though. But the alternative is having a watch that keeps erratic time whenever I use it for anything more than arm candy. Don't want that.

Guess it's time to give omega a call. I'd rather do that than send it back to joma.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
like I posted before, that watch should clearly be in the shop by now.
explanations put forth for what is happening are, as far as I know, correct, but for a couple of seconds +/-, and on a rare occasion when all the stars line up to create that effect,
there's nothing to remotely justify that much deviation on a walk.
just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste any more time wondering.
I disagree with this 100%. Gaining 7 seconds on a 30 minute walk would be totally normal if his arms are swinging like he’s power walking or jogging.

Plus he’s already said the watch is keeping good time otherwise, so it’s the walking not the watch. And on his 30 minute “fast walks” he consistently gaining the same amount of time too (7-8 seconds).

For the record, I see old lady’s moving their arms like they are running while their legs are actually moving in a fast walk everyday. Not saying the OP is an old lady... lol! Just that without you seeing a video of him walking you can’t disqualify it being caused by him and it would happen to any mechanical watch if so.

OP, your watch is 100% fine. We already told you this and explained why. I don’t know why you refuse to accept it you can google it and see it’s common instead of wasting your time reaching out to Omega.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I have a timegrapher and honestly, it sets my mind at ease with my watches.

My OP 39 started gaining minutes a day at random. Popped it on my timegrapher, amplitude was very high. Went to the Rolex AD, told them about the amplitude. Watchmaker popped it on his timegrapher and said, "Yes, I see your point. No reason to regulate as it is running hot. Let's send it in to have it fixed." Without my timegrapher I probably would still be scratching my head as the watch seemed to be fine the majority of the time.

As for the Co-Axial 8900, I use a lift angel of 38 to get a more accurate amplitude reading.

Just my novice opinions/recommendation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks Bigin. I tend to agree. I know it's the walking and the arm movements. I don't swing my arms wildly but they do work back and forth in a fast rhythm because i walk pretty fast. If the watch didn't keep near perfect time (gains less than a second a day otherwise) I'd be more convinced it's the watch. I just didn't think an auto would be that sensitive. It's kind of frustrating but I do understand. I tend to agree that if I can omega, they're going to want me to send it in and pay for a full service. And I might still have the same issue when it's done.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I disagree with this 100%. Gaining 7 seconds on a 30 minute walk would be totally normal if his arms are swinging like he’s power walking or jogging.

Plus he’s already said the watch is keeping good time otherwise, so it’s the walking not the watch. And on his 30 minute “fast walks” he consistently gaining the same amount of time too (7-8 seconds).

For the record, I see old lady’s moving their arms like they are running while their legs are actually moving in a fast walk everyday. Not saying the OP is an old lady... lol! Just that without you seeing a video of him walking you can’t disqualify it being caused by him and it would happen to any mechanical watch if so.

OP, your watch is 100% fine. We already told you this and explained why. I don’t know why you refuse to accept it you can google it and see it’s common instead of wasting your time reaching out to Omega.
since the day I got in university, there haven't been many days I haven't walked 5 to 8 kms 5 or 6 days of the week,
most of it in over 30 minute segments, at a fast pace for someone who, 23 years later, still works out 3 or 4 days a week.
I got my first 'real' watch in my early twenties I think, an oris TT1, eta,
from them on, I've worn them every day, through anything,
many etas, tuned up etas, iwc, zenith, JLC and GP in-house's, omega 2500 and 8500,
a friend who sometimes comes with me wears a sellita that only runs properly when fully handwound,
and yes, a watch usually running 1/2+- would suddenly show 2/3 more seconds deviation out of the blue, but not once in my life has any of them shown a 7 seconds deviation in 30m.
op's is a certified /tested everything movement, fresh out of the press, and not only does so, but also does it consistently.

it's not the theory I'm contesting, it's how great the deviation is.
his watch, his call, but, if it were me, I wouldn't let warranty period pass without having it checked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thought I would update this thread. The watch consistently gained time in my walks where my other two watches (bond seamaster and moon watch) never missed a beat. Called omega and they said it shouldn't do that. So, I sent it in and on my dime, had them service the watch since that's what they recommended. Received it back yesterday and went for a walk today wearing the watch. Yep, it gained 3 seconds on this 30 minute walk. So disheartening that a new movement watch can't do what two other older movements can do. Keep consistent time. I know some say it's normal, but omega said it's not and two other omega watches I own do not do this.

So, it's off to call omega and see where we go from here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is definitely weird. I walk fast as well and I see no gain. Though my watch gains about +2 seconds every day (still within METAS).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
An update. Just received the watch back from Omega after sending it back twice. The first time was a full service and the watch still ran fast during the walks. Talked to Omega and sent it back again. They said they did a partial service this time and sent back these parts that I assume they replaced this trip. Haven't tested it yet to see if it still gains time on my walks, but can anyone identify what these parts are and why they might have replaced them this time either for the first time or why they might not have the first time?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's basically the biggest innovation that Omega is using in your watch. You'd have to get a loupe and magnify it to see if there's something wrong with the escapement and why it might have an effect on the rate while speed walking. So the escapement would include the escape wheel and the pallet fork. Really I should have said it's your pallet fork and the escape wheel. Perhaps the jewels in the pallet fork are bad. My guess is that they've chewed up the escape wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK, well the verdict is in. Worse now that even before. Took it for a walk this morning as normal and in that 30 minute period the watch gained 20 seconds. Twice I've sent this watch to Omega with an explanation of what it was doing. Neither time have they been able to correct an issue they say shouldn't be happening. I can only conclude that this new technology movement is not as stable as a 60 year old movement in my speedster pro or the 25 year old (1120) movement in my seamster pro. Neither of them exhibit this problem.I am quite disappointed in Omega because of this and will probably never buy another. I am not happy with the performance of this new co-axial movement that can't do what a 60 year old movement can. Harkens to making a change in movements to sell more watches, rather than because it's really better. I don't see it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts