WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any difference with the New Automatics and what is traditionally a mechanical watch?
I was told by my jeweler that I should avoid an automatic since I wear my watch ALL the time and swinging my arm is not good for Automatics.
Im not looking for an antique, but a new or fairly new watch.
She suggested I stick with Quartz, or Kinetic, as they can take more abuse?

Any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Find a new jeweler, I guess she does not sell mechanical watches. :roll:

You can not overwind an automatic mechanical watch, they have a clutch for that purpose. Handwound watches are a different case, you can overwind them if you don't stop winding when the spring is fully wound. This requires that you use too much power though.

I was told by my jeweler that I should avoid an automatic since I wear my watch ALL the time and swinging my arm is not good for Automatics.

·
Registered
14,659 Posts
It doesn't sound like your jeweler has any idea what they are talking about.

Quartz by nature is more rugged and has fewer parts, but mechanicals and autos are also very tough and are built to be worn on a daily basis. In fact it's all the moving of your arm that powers the watch.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Well I suppose it's a matter of opinion. I think a good Quartz is probably more durable than most mechanical watches... but you're certainly not going to damage an automatic by wearing it too much and swinging your arm. LOL. Thats actually pretty funny...

Sounds more to me like your jeweler doesn't know anything about mechanical watches...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Is there any difference with the New Automatics and what is traditionally a mechanical watch?

Thanks, Mark
Automatics are meant to be swung all the time, that's how they wind themselves.

And automatic watches are mechanical.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the help. She did have automatics though. I was looking at the Tag Link, and then she asked if I played golf, I said yes and I also keep my watch on ALL the time, so thats when she said that I would like the Tag since it WASNT automatic. Then she said that they always advise against having an automatic if you play golf, or be willing to take it off while playing, cause they can be damaged while swinging.
Any idea what she might have meant by that statement?

Thanks again, Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the Tag is a quartz!
But my question is...............Am I unwise to buy an automatic? I have found some others that I like that are automatics, but I cannot figure out what she meant?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
And people say it's hard to find good help these days ;-)

All fun aside, basically, mechanical watch movements use a spring ("mainspring") as a power source. In a manual (hand-wind mechanicals) that spring is powered by winding the crown: hence, manual. In self-winding (automatic mechanical) watches, that spring is powered when you move your wrist: hence, automatic, and are on purpose made that way to be worn. In terms of "toughness", depends on the watch and its function/purpose. In general, and broadly speaking, some mechanical movements are made ("finished") to be "pretty" (like dress watches-form over function per se) whereas others are made to be tough (sport/tool watches-function over form per se). Mechanicals require servicing every so often to remain in good working order. Most manufacturer's recommend a service every 5 years, though some easily go 8-10 years. (Note: same as you change your engine oil when it comes to your car, but with modern oils being what they are today, don't need to service your car that often either, depending on the car and how of course you use it, etc.).

Quarz are powered by batteries. They are convenient--as in, set it and forget it, changing out the battery as required to keep them running. There are some quality quartz out there, others not so much. Cheap quartz burn out and die.

Hope that this helps, and welcome to WUS! You already know more about it now than say your jeweler. :)

Cheers

BTW, if we're talking about golfing, then the Tag Heuer golf watch is a great choice, if that's the one you're looking into. This, because it's super light on the wrist, barely notice that it's there at all, and therefore won't interfere with your swing !

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
gentlemanonabicycle said:
Yes the Tag is a quartz!
But my question is...............Am I unwise to buy an automatic? I have found some others that I like that are automatics, but I cannot figure out what she meant?

Thanks, Mark
IMO she have you sage advice. I am a dedicated(read frustrated) golfer and I never wear an automatic while playing. I think the damaging force that she referenced was shock during impact of the club-ball-earth, more so than the swing itself. There are some members here who golf while wearing automatics and report no problems, I simply do not take the risk.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Thank you all for the help. She did have automatics though. I was looking at the Tag Link, and then she asked if I played golf, I said yes and I also keep my watch on ALL the time, so thats when she said that I would like the Tag since it WASNT automatic. Then she said that they always advise against having an automatic if you play golf, or be willing to take it off while playing, cause they can be damaged while swinging.

Thanks again, Mark
Don't know about golf but I play tennis, go on motorcycle rides, and shoot guns with my automatic on. No problems.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
768 Posts
An automatic is a mechanical

Quartz = longer power reserve (typically three years) and better accuracy (typically 15s / month). No sweeping seconds but doesn't need to be constantly worn.

Auto = sweeping seconds but shorter power reserve (typically 38~42 hours) and less accuracy (typically 10s / day). Needs to be worn / set frequently or you need a winder.

As for playing golf, I just wouldn't wear a mechanical. At least not during drives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was told by my jeweler that I should avoid an automatic since I wear my watch ALL the time and swinging my arm is not good for automatics
:rodekaart Lol, this made my day!!!! Some funny stuff.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts

Thanks, Mark

Thanks again, Mark
Wait a minute here, you never mentioned golf in the initial post.....

That make a difference.

Some say golf hurts mechanicals, many say it doesn't. In any case the advise is not unreasonable.

I personally do not wear a watch when I golf.... messes up my swing.....

·
Registered
676 Posts
And if your jeweler try's to tell you a quartz is a mechanical, an easy way to tell the difference is by looking at the second hand. On a quartz watch, the second hand will tick once a second. On a mechanical, the second hand sweeps (typically, they beat 6 or 8 times a second). There is an exception, however, the Bulova Precisionist is a quartz that sweeps, and they make dead beat mechanicals that tick once per second, but the overwhelming majority of the time, like 99% of the time, the rule will hold true. Let us know what you get!

And as to golf, you're totally fine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, all the quartz that I like, are all too expensive. So Im going for the 450.00 Seiko Automatic SARB035. Best looking of what I like, and I figure I can ruin 5 of them instead of buying a 3K Quartz that I like.
I wish I could find a 400-1k Quartz that I liked so anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Mark

1 - 20 of 39 Posts