WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Everyone,

Not trying to violate the spirit (or rules) of this forum, but I thought that although the new Bathys Damascus watches will be assembled in Solothurn (and therefore will be "Swiss Made), the readers of this forum would be happy to know that these very special cases are being made near Stuttgart.

In a very labor-intensive process, a gentleman named Herr Schneider will hand-forge each piece of the 512-layer stainless Damascus steel, and then we'll CNC mill the cases from the blocks he make. Each block takes 8 hours of hand forging! All of this design and production is German.

I wish I could be a bit more specific, however I'm a little afraid that some of my competitors will copy us if they learn where exactly we're doing all this. These will be the world's first production Damascus steel watches. Because very few people can forge stainless Damsacus, no one has made these before Bathys.

We'll be debuting the Damascus Timepiece at Baselworld 2009.

And before I sign off, I want to say Aloha to Jorge Schauer...he came to our party a couple years back and is a really nice guy.

Cheers! - John @ Bathys

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Stainless Damascus watch parts were/are also made by a Swedish watchmaker since last year.
I should say the steel itself is made by a Swedish knife maker (Gustafsson), for use as parts for watches made by his friend the watchmaker (Sjogren).

The watches are called "Gustafsson o Sjogren", you can read the announcement in the "Watch News" fora, from 29th September 2008
Sweden 1 - Germany/Bathys 0 !
:-d :-!

(I recall a watch manufacturer (Prim possibly?) made a ladies watch with the case in Damask steel.)

It is quite easy to make the steel. The process has been known for many Centuries. Labour intensive - yes, very.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Actually, renowned knife maker (and watch maker) Allen Elishewitz has been making watches with Damascus cases for several years.
Score: Allen E +1:-!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Actually, renowned knife maker Allen Elishewitz has been making watches with Damascus cases for several years.
Score: Allen E +1:-!
I bow my humbled head in shame....

I will check Mr Elishewitz products out!
Texas +1 !

Edit: HA!!! Mr E uses Swedish Damask steel!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hey, Mr Gustafsson makes some gorgeous Damascus, and he is also a world renowned knife maker.:-!
Here's one of Allen's hand assembled watches:

Sorry to say that neither the watch nor the pics are mine!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Awful lugs, but the rest is fantastic!
No watches are for sale at this moment, according to the site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts