WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
some pics of my new historical strap.
it fit perfectly on my wrist, and of course, to the Laco B-uhr.
Very close to the original, more than other brand who made B-uhr.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't believe I missed this before. Did Laco actually stagger the lume on the numerals?!?! It sure looks like it from the first set of photos. That settles it for me: 45 mm B-Muster!

Yes! As a (returning) newbie (and hopelessly over-enthusiastic) flieger-uhren aficionado, the original, ca. 1944, Baumuster B's (Beobachtungsuhr/Observer) DID have 'staggered' luminescence. This was done, of course, per RLM/Reichsluftfahrtministerium (German Air Ministry) specifications:

IMHO, since it's 110% compatible with Laco's 1944 ORIGINAL (shown below!), this feature only heightens the allure of the OP's gorgeous 'flieger!' ...

Congrats to him on a beautiful flieger and a big thanks for posting such wonderful pix!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Yes! As a (returning) newbie (and hopelessly over-enthusiastic) flieger-uhren aficionado, the original, ca. 1944, Baumuster B's (Beobachtungsuhr/Observer) DID have 'staggered' luminescence. This was done, of course, per RLM/Reichsluftfahrtministerium (German Air Ministry) specifications:
You misunderstood my point. When I said "did Laco actually stagger the lume" I was referring to the current 45 mm Pilot. I'm well aware that the original models had staggered lume which is why I was so excited that Laco carried this design feature over to the new model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You misunderstood my point. When I said "did Laco actually stagger the lume" I was referring to the current 45 mm Pilot. I'm well aware that the original models had staggered lume which is why I was so excited that Laco carried this design feature over to the new model.
Oops - I DO tend to get carried away - Sorry! ...

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Now, that is an another superb addition to the Laco lineup!!!

Nice that they alco put a HW movement in it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
IMHO, since it's 110% compatible with Laco's 1944 ORIGINAL (shown below!), this feature only heightens the allure of the OP's gorgeous 'flieger!' ...

Congrats to him on a beautiful flieger and a big thanks for posting such wonderful pix![/SIZE][/FONT]
That B-uhr has a wrong Seconds hand. I think you can hopefully have a new one sent to you by Laco.
Does the Hour and Minute hands have a blued border? I can not see them clearly on the pic.

I can recommend Laco for a service and or repair of those Historic pieces. They do a really nice job!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
That B-uhr has a wrong Seconds hand. I think you can hopefully have a new one sent to you by Laco.
Does the Hour and Minute hands have a blued border? I can not see them clearly on the pic.

I can recommend Laco for a service and or repair of those Historic pieces. They do a really nice job!
I don't think he owns the watch in the picture. You're right about the second hand; it's a complete disaster. Isn't it remarkable how such a small detail can drastically alter the look of a watch? Whoever put the second hand on that watch is just as likely to glue mud flaps on a Ferrari.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Only if you are n obscessed nerd like me.....

You know guys, the new offerings from Laco are so goddamn good, that Laco should work a little bit harder to establish an AD chain worldwide.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Alright, this thread pushed me over the edge. I've been hunting for the perfect Flieger for a while now, and this Laco has it all for me. Just pulled the trigger. Now the waiting begins. Great looking watch! Love the hand-wind movement. I almost went for the 36mm auto version, which would fit me much better (6.25" wrists), but I didn't think it was as accurate a copy as the 42mm version; just felt too small for a Pilot watch. It will wear big on me, but it's supposed to, isn't it?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
You know guys, the new offerings from Laco are so goddamn good, that Laco should work a little bit harder to establish an AD chain worldwide.
Funny you should mention that; they are looking for distributors worldwide at the moment. Owning and managing their own AD chain would be not be a financial reality. Only a few of the luxury class brands have taken that approach. Even getting into established retail locations would be a challenge; there's only so much room in display cases and the competition is fierce.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Alright, this thread pushed me over the edge. I've been hunting for the perfect Flieger for a while now, and this Laco has it all for me. Just pulled the trigger. Now the waiting begins. Great looking watch! Love the hand-wind movement. I almost went for the 36mm auto version, which would fit me much better (6.25" wrists), but I didn't think it was as accurate a copy as the 42mm version; just felt too small for a Pilot watch. It will wear big on me, but it's supposed to, isn't it?
Great choice! :-!

As for the size debate, original navigator's watches like the Laco were 55 mm, so yes, they wore REALLY big. However, actual pilot watches such as those made by Hanhart and Tutima were much smaller and used 38.5 mm cases. In that respect a 36 mm would be closer in size. Which Baumuster did you order, the A or B?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I ordered the B-type, which is why, in part, I went with 42mm. I had a feeling that at 36mm the dial would feel cluttered and difficult to read at a glance. Also, at 36mm there is labelling (Laco, and 'made in Germany?); I wanted a sterile dial, so 42mm it was. Now, a sterile 36mm A-type! I can get on that like jam on toast!

Great choice! :-!
As for the size debate, original navigator's watches like the Laco were 55 mm, so yes, they wore REALLY big. However, actual pilot watches such as those made by Hanhart and Tutima were much smaller and used 38.5 mm cases. In that respect a 36 mm would be closer in size. Which Baumuster did you order, the A or B?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts