WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today is a good day! My new kona Hoss (for the beefier rider!:-d) arrived as did a white ICERC band bezel set from bbtiesto!

Already had a ride on the bike and it feels great!

The bezel was a bit stiff to swap but it's on and a bit of silicon grease alleviated some of the buttons sticking ( anyone else had that problem?)

On a slightly disappointing note I also ordered a yellow ICERC band/bezel set but only the band was in the package. Hopefully bbtiesto will believe me and send a replacement.

So 1 Frog 3 looks! Cheaper than a new one anyway!

Nice of the dog to arrive in time to get in the picture!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Holy Frogman!!!!!! You must be grinning from ear to ear Hoochy.. :-!:-!:-!

Beautiful bike and beautiful new/old watch..... :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,590 Posts
HI Hoochy,

Those Frogman bezels are indeed very stiff. I was a bit suprised myself when I took of the jelly red bezel of mine once. Of course the bezels are not made to be changed a lot. It looks great!

Your bike looks awesome. It looks you have enough travel on the fork. Is it adjusted to your weight? I have mine a little over adjusted, there I like an almost stiff fork. I have also Hayed Brakes. I immediately recognized the same disks as I have.

I bought myself a light set recently. You probably have the same problem with early darkness there in England;-) There I work during the day, I ride a lot in the evenings. I have also ordered a higher T-Boneand a Helmet Mount. I am probably upgrading it later with an extra Evo X (10 Watt, 60 Lux).

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Some great kit Sjors!

I mainly use the bike for fun rather than commuting and I work shifts so Im often off during the day, it's the first decent bike I have had ( althought it's far from top of the range!)

I haven't adjusted the forks yet but they seem about right.

bbtiesto has already replied and is sending the missing bezel tomorrow! Can't wait to go out now for some serious riding! Went to Grizedale forest in the lake district last week which was great, and also prompted the need for a new bike!

Nice to see a bottle of Guinness in your pic, haven't had a Guinness for ages!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
what forks do you have on the Kona, i presume they are cable disc's? how do you rate them? and also thats my fave Frogman! |>

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Very nice gear Hoochy!
Sjors, how do you park your bike if you have to lock it up somewhere? Does all that stuff come off easily? Or do you just not leave your bike alone at all?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,590 Posts
Hi TTT,

My Cube is never left alone! I sometimes got comments when I take a tea on a terrace, but actually when I take it out, it stays with me all the time! I took it with me on a pretty exclusive terrace lately, but I and my cycling buddy were allowed to park our kike in the front of the building next to our table.

I was watching an interview with Bart Brentjes (Olympic and several times World Champion XC MTB). The interviewers were suprised riders take their bikes on their hotels rooms... I actually would be suprised if they didn't. Those bikes are not only worth 5 times my bike, but they are also customized to their riders measurements and wishes.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you mean? Kona's are very available in England. It only took 3 days to arrive as well! Excellent service.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How do you mean? Kona's are very available in England. It only took 3 days to arrive as well! Excellent service.
I didn't know that, actually. I hear Kona and I still think 'small, Pacific North West company'. Great bikes, just didn't realize how large they'd gotten.

I'll still take an Orange, thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
nice. I really like some of the Kona designs (Hoss included, though I'm a lightweight), but the relatively tall standover on most of their bikes keeps me away. your hoss has a BB height of approx 12.4" yet standover on the medium is 31" -- and it's got a 100mm travel fork.

I assume you got the stock bike? If so, that fork looks nice, i've always wanted to try a maz dj 2. and the deore xt shadow r/d looks very streamlined and lightweight

do you dirt jump?

enjoy that bike!

oh, here's my bike: 2005 Jamis Dakar XC basic frame, I transferred almost all components over from my Iron Horse hardtail (needed new headset, f/d, seatpost, some cables...). In my area, eastern US, the tight singletrack is full of rocks, roots, and sheer drops to stream-side, so full suspension keeps the rear end planted during the hair raising stuff ;-) (my fork and r/d don't quite compete with yours, but they get the job done!)

cheers

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
. your hoss has a BB height of approx 12.4" yet stand over on the medium is 31" -- and it's got a 100mm travel fork.
I'm very much an amateur looking at getting back into riding. I used to ride a lot in my teens. I'm not entirely sure what your above quote means regarding bottom bracket and stand over height? Is that good or bad?

Today was my first jumping in some time and that was high enough, quite an impact on landing although maybe thats technique. The forks seem ok but tend to drop out when you leave the ground, causing a bit of a nose dive if you don't pull the front up. Incidentally doing just that caused a rather spectacular wheelie landing crash!

Be interested in any tips you have regarding suspension or technique.

And apologies for going off watch topic. If it helps I was wearing a Suunto Vector!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
does the fork have any adjustments? eg: damping/rebound/pre-load? these may solve your fork making a clunk noise. remember, just sitting on your bike should cause your fork to dip by about 25-30% you can test this by putting a tie wrap on your fork, near the seals.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Nice bike! I've been looking into a bike for freeride and test rode the Kona Stinky delux with the D.O.P.E. system (floating brake) and the bike rides very nice. I like Kona's suspension system although not a true four bar linkage they are very realiable and tough.

If my wrists were only a little bit bigger, the Frogman would be my watch of choice for rides! :-!

Heres my little toy...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nice bike! I've been looking into a bike for freeride and test rode the Kona Stinky delux with the D.O.P.E. system (floating brake) and the bike rides very nice. I like Kona's suspension system although not a true four bar linkage they are very realiable and tough.

If my wrists were only a little bit bigger, the Frogman would be my watch of choice for rides! :-!

Heres my little toy...

beauty, who needs a stinky when you've got that. how do you like that Pike, I've heard great reports. wanna trade ;-) and you're in california, mtb heaven, cheers

·
Registered
783 Posts
beauty, who needs a stinky when you've got that. how do you like that Pike, I've heard great reports. wanna trade ;-) and you're in california, mtb heaven, cheers
haha well this is a do all bike, its can't take anything bigger than a 6ft drop. Something I want to exceed with my next bike around 15 foot drops and up.

The Pike is a fantastic fork, Mines is a coil version because I prefer coil forks. The plus side to this is that it has a 20mm through axle making it very stiff, since I got this bike I've been riding 5 times faster than on my diamond back.

California has great places to ride although recent fires have caused a major problem. True mountain bike heaven is at Whistler in Colorado... thats where all the superhero bikers go to show off in a new video.:-!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts