WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Orient is one of my favorite brands - if not THE favorite one. I was kind of disappointed with the lack of Orient blogs, compared to how many Blogs discuss Seiko and Citizen... so I started a new Blog.

I trust that posting an invitation to visit and follow my blog does not break any of the forum rules... It is not a commercial endeavor and I have no intention to monetize it. My day-job (which unfortunately is totally unrelated to watches) keeps me fully occupied and well compensated. The blog is more a way to let out some creative steam, discuss some topics concerning Orient from a personal perspective, and hopefully have some readers join in the conversation.

The first post discusses the Orient GM, I hope you find it interesting! I'm happy to get any comments and feedback.

So please visit https://orientplace.blogspot.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for creating a very interesting blog! I definitely enjoy reading up on the history of watches. I honestly have not met many people that know about Orient watches, but that’s also due to many of them just reaching for the ideal name brand or mall sold watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi everyone!

Orient is one of my favorite brands - if not THE favorite one. I was kind of disappointed with the lack of Orient blogs, compared to how many Blogs discuss Seiko and Citizen... so I started a new Blog.

I trust that posting an invitation to visit and follow my blog does not break any of the forum rules... It is not a commercial endeavor and I have no intention to monetize it. My day-job (which unfortunately is totally unrelated to watches) keeps me fully occupied and well compensated. The blog is more a way to let out some creative steam, discuss some topics concerning Orient from a personal perspective, and hopefully have some readers join in the conversation.

The first post discusses the Orient GM, I hope you find it interesting! I'm happy to get any comments and feedback.

Eran, maybe you could possibly help me identify this Orient? I have heard it called the multi eyes or the sky, but have absolutely no history on it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eran, maybe you could possibly help me identify this Orient? I have heard it called the multi eyes or the sky, but have absolutely no history on it.

This is ref. CET05001B and there was a white version ending with W. From around 2009. back then, Orient USA were running a contest for naming them, so maybe multi eye was the winning name...? Who knows, I did not see any announcement, but that really is the common nick name.

there were also later versions like FET0x001 with a larger case.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi, nice Blog and article on the GM. I learnt something new, thanks.
The CET05001B that islander009 posted reminds me of the modern Defender, which I really like (I own the cream dial version).
Cheers, and best of luck with your endeavour.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is very encouraging.

I will add comments to this thread when I'm posting new articles, I will try to keep it interesting - I appreciate your support and please keep following!

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is ref. CET05001B and there was a white version ending with W. From around 2009. back then, Orient USA were running a contest for naming them, so maybe multi eye was the winning name...? Who knows, I did not see any announcement, but that really is the common nick name.

there were also later versions like FET0x001 with a larger case.
Thanks for the info Eran!!

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Kudos to Eran on the blog. Orients were my first autos. Have bought and sold many since but still have a couple including the discontinued Equalizer. One of the few I've seen with a "Cyclops", screw down crown, 100m WR and solid link bracelet. They probably didn't get their development costs on that one either. Nice to have a place to look up info on Orients besides the typical search. 20180423_164420_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi everyone!

I love your passion and will definitely be checking out your page from time to time. I started with bambinos (I had 3) and my daily driver is a Ray II. Theres no stopping now haha

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I have posted a new article today. It's about Royal Orient, discussing the possible reasoning behind its termination by Orient. I hope you find it interesting, and of course - looking forward to your opinions on the topic!

https://orientplace.blogspot.co.il/2018/04/royal-orient-rest-in-peace.html
Another good read. I think lack of marketing is a big part of their demise, but in my opinion, an equally big part of their demise is the fact that Royal Orient did not have any unique, memorable, or exciting designs. If you make a merely nicer version of an already under-the-radar and frankly neglected sub-brand like Orient Star, nobody is going to notice. In spite of the lack of marketing, and Orient is better these days than Seiko at marketing, they could have been successful if they just made a hit. Hodinkee and every WIS would jump through hoops to get a cool watch specifically because it is difficult to get and JDM. Royal Orient is also a good brand name too. Better than Grand Seiko. It's a shame the company didn't have more vision.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi again. Today I posted a different kind of article - it's a roundup of three nice and not very common Orients now available online (on eBay, Yahoo, and one private seller). I wonder if this sort of blog posts is interesting? I know personally I like to browse such posts on other online forums, which is why I tried to do the same. If feedback is positive I might post updates once in a while.

https://orientplace.blogspot.com/2018/04/catch-of-day-orients-for-sale.html

·
Registered
964 Posts
Excellent. A review on the Orient AAA Swimmer would be great. I like those orange ones, but they are rare and the ones you do find are expensive
and often times too much 'restored' for my liking.
Cheers

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent. A review on the Orient AAA Swimmer would be great. I like those orange ones, but they are rare and the ones you do find are expensive
and often times too much 'restored' for my liking.
Cheers
Oh I know those AAA's you are thinking of... those over-polished pieces that look good in pictures on Chrono24 that sellers post in hope of getting some wealthy inexperienced buyer to pay a couple grands for a watch worth maybe 300 dollars... I hate those so much.

Anyway, I don't currently have a swimmer to review, maybe at some later time I'll borrow one for this purpose; however there's a nice piece on a more current model coming up Monday :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eran, I bet you have this one in your collection

I haven't got this one... but it is lovely! at some point I plan to write about Orient's unconventional use of color... i might then ask your permission to include this photo!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I haven't got this one... but it is lovely! at some point I plan to write about Orient's unconventional use of color... i might then ask your permission to include this photo!
It's not mine, I found the image on the bay. I was just surprised to see such an odd (ugly ?) looking Orient. It's not something that I would ever wear.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts