WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yo Mike, yea i felt that the mvmt is too pricey for this watch as much as its a limited release.

hence, im getting the SDGM001 this 23rd nov, will post some live pics here on 26th for sharing.

will be getting my alpinist sarb017 and the new Orient gmt WZ0071DJ as well.

Japan rocks...plus jpy yen dropping everyday, its a pretty okay deal.

Cheers

Is it wrong that I want this watch? I love that dial but at nearly$1,400 on the bay I just have to pass, with the 6R movement the most I could go on this is probably half that.

·
6,972 Posts
Pretty expensive at ~US$900/MSRP for a 6R15, stainless steel cased watch though.

But it does have sapphire glass and Diashield coating, so might be worth considering if the finishing levels are as per usual Brightz levels.
The "street" pricing is not bad at all. Pre orders on Rakuten for the SDGM001/003 is $68,000 JPY = $585 USD @ today's rate:-!

I'm really looking forward to some "real" photos:)

Cheers
Shannon

·
Registered
13 Posts
The MSRP for the standard and limited editions seem much closer (+33%) than the actual street prices (+100%). :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Because the way Seiko perceive demand and how the shops perceive it is different.

Its more or less the same thing with most releases.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't realise the differential would be so big. I really hope it will come down over time. If it doesn't, I'd like to pick up a standard version, although I can't decide between the two - they both seem great for different reasons, in the absence of a detailed review / video.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The MSRP for the standard and limited editions seem much closer (+33%) than the actual street prices (+100%). :(
If youre genuinely interested in the limited editions, shoot Katsu an email. His price for the standard edition is very similar to street price but his price for the limited ones are much better than anything you will find at the moment.

Personally, im awaiting at least a watch tanaka video before i pull the trigger. A review would be best.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yo Mike, yea i felt that the mvmt is too pricey for this watch as much as its a limited release.

hence, im getting the SDGM001 this 23rd nov, will post some live pics here on 26th for sharing.

will be getting my alpinist sarb017 and the new Orient gmt WZ0071DJ as well.

Japan rocks...plus jpy yen dropping everyday, its a pretty okay deal.

Cheers
I also ordered SDGM001, from Rakuten..

How did you manage to find Orient Star GMT? I don't see it anywhere..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally, im awaiting at least a watch tanaka video before i pull the trigger.
I'll probably do the same. Their videos are dangerous - my last purchase was mainly due one of 'em.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Is it wrong that I want this watch? I love that dial but at nearly$1,400 on the bay I just have to pass, with the 6R movement the most I could go on this is probably half that.

If you had described that watch to me, I'm sure I would have thought it hideous: It's not at all to my taste. But looking at that photograph, all I can say is that I want one. That dial is amazing.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
If you had described that watch to me, I'm sure I would have thought it hideous: It's not at all to my taste. But looking at that photograph, all I can say is that I want one. That dial is amazing.
That's exactly my take, Roman numerals, gold plate, shiny black croc band, maroon dial I would've said that sounds like the ugliest watch in the world, yet I love it and want one.

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
SEIKO BRIGHTZ SDGM008 - it's not quite selling the dial, but at least they're real images as opposed to rendered ones.
Thee pictures are much better, I definitely do not like the "Azabu Tailor" written on the display back, I don't know who he is and really don't want it on my watch. And while I really like the look it doesn't seem to my eye (just from the pictures) to be finished much better than my SARBs, with the same 6R movement I couldn't pay a grand for this watch.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Has anyone purchased the SDGM001 or SDGM003?

With the YEN at 118, they are under $600.... just wondering if it's worth 2X a SARB003?
That's the question. Hopefully someone will post a full review soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's what I wrote on another forum:

Hi Gents and Ladies,

Spent a few days in Japan travelling with my in-laws, very nice weather and I was lucky to have 30 minutes to myself for some watch shopping. Everytime when I travel Japan I make it a mission statement to buy 1) some Japanese Whisky and 2) a Japan made watch, and fair to say mission accomplished!

A magnificent view of the "Golden Temple" in Kyoto

I didn't have any watch in mind before the trip, and was pleasantly surprised to come upon a new released by Seiko. It belongs to their "Brightz" series, sort of their domestic middle range line of watches targeting the "salary men/women", i.e. me. Like other Seiko series, they come in a variety of movements and specs, funky quartz (solar powered, radio controlled etc.) and automatics (3 handers and chronographs).

I picked a simple 3 handers with date, model no. SDGM001, a simple 3 handers measuring 48.6mm×40.5mm×11.5mm. Bit large for a business watch for some and I would prefer it to be 38-39mm instead. Seiko has introduced some new technology, named as "Comfitex", literally meaning comfortable technology (I guess) in some of their new watches. To my surprise, they are very practical upgrades, and basically 3 things: 1) Super-clear-AR coating on sapphire 2) "Diashield"/ diamond shield processed stainless steel case and bracelet and 3) some kind of anti-dirt treatment on the lens.

I was blown away with the AR coating, extremely good quality and on par with the best I have seen (like Brietling good). The "Diashield" tech is yet to be tested, it is suppose to protect the steel from scratches but I don't usually throw my watches at brick walls anyways. Similarly for the anti-dirt treatment, put my thumbs on the lens and it is still "dirty", so not so magical. As mentioned, the AR coating was the most impressive.

Style-wise, 2 line texts (Seiko + Automatic), applied indexes, non-numbered chapter ring, sun-burst effect champagne dial and blue steel second hand.

The bracelet is comfortable, similar with the one on my GS but with a 3-folded clasp, sizing shouldn't be a problem for those concerned as there are half-links.

I have thoroughly enjoyed wearing it for the past couple of days, but it is not without flaws, to name a few: 1) the movement is only the so-so 6R15 (accurate to 25+/- seconds per day) and obviously not decorated 2) for god knows reason Seiko decided to decorate the crown with cabochon, bit pointless and borderline vulgar and 3) the lug width is 21mm!!. A picture of the crown:

The suggested retail price is around USD900, which is expensive, however street price is around USD700-ish which is more reasonable for this kind of watch. I admit I have got a good deal, afterall I did get it in Japan....

So is it recommended? Certainly so if you can live with the flaws listed and looking for a watch of similar style. Is it better than the original cocktail time? Quite subjective and I would personally say yes. Is it a Grand Seiko? Hell no, but the case, crystal and finishing are all very good quality. I do believe this to be a good example of higher-end Seiko.

The standard version comes on both Champagne and black dial, and a run of limited editions of 500 each there are also blue, maroon and silver dials to choose from, these special box sets comes with 3 straps (but no bracelet) and double in price, IMO definitely not worth the premium. I knew we like blue-dial so here's a photo:

Finally, to those who are interested to know more, here's a link to Seiko's website (in Japanese): ?????????????????????????????

Oh, did I mention whisky?

:D

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very nice Aifo! Thank you for your thoughts. Could i please ask for some comparison pics to your GS?

Also, please tell me the caseback is not seethrough. I love the 6r15 but it is nothing to drool at! I would be so glad it the normal versions had it covered.

Sorry for the numerous requests, but i would also love a few more pics of the dial. Your picture makes it look extremely creamy. Is that a clear representation? Does it appear more white in other lighting situations?

Thanking you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hai Fred,

More than happy to address your questions. Sadly the caseback is transparent.... I hear your groaning and share the same thoughts.

The dial is pretty champagne-ish in general, a shot under daylight should be more accurate:

Don't have a comparison shots with the GS now but I do have one with the original cocktail time:

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
Aifo - thanks for your posts they are very informative. The fact that the bracelet has half links has probably sold me on it, I don't mind the crown, I would prefer a simple signed stainless one, but I wouldn't stress over it.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts