WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Love the non-solar (battery powered) aspect of this watch. I find solar alarm tones to be practically useless except in very quiet environments. Plus, it's good to open up the case and lubricate the gaskets every year or two so that water resistance doesn't fail.

As long as Casio doesn't price it in the absurd, I think this is a good model.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Must have at least one of these. Are these models JDM? If not will they be hard to buy?
It looks amazing, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on G-Shock UK and G-Central.

I can't see these being JDM, this sort of release should be world-wide, but likely staggered.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Working in the Semiconductor industry, I got to find me one of these.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
I've been around the circuit board industry since I was a wee lad. My dad sold plating machines and my grandfather was on the lamination side. I now run my grandfathers business making lamination tooling for circuit boards, been in business since 1977. Circuit boards are in my blood and this is exactly my jam.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
That's a valid point. But a whole new case design and material just for that? It'd be much easier (and more durable than even the carbon core) to just have some small metal inserts molded into the case for the inserts to sit in. Kind of like how they do with the new combi bracelet.
cc is their latest tech and marketing/selling point and one of the very few marketed advances in case construction, why wouldnt they start using it on more models?

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts
The quick-release lever to change bands and bezels is probably the best thing that Casio has come up with this year.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is the first "regular" square that I've wanted outside of my old DW-5000-1JF. Hope that I can get one.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: quick release springbars, I had one strap with them on a different watch and ended up returning it. The protruding knob on the springbar ended up digging into my wrist from time to time when the watch rotated during wear. They're clever and I was excited to try them, but the diminished comfort lead me to pass.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Re: quick release springbars, I had one strap with them on a different watch and ended up returning it. The protruding knob on the springbar ended up digging into my wrist from time to time when the watch rotated during wear. They're clever and I was excited to try them, but the diminished comfort lead me to pass.
Very interesting, I've wondered about that myself. Is there anything stopping us from swapping them with regular springbars on this square though, or any watch that uses them for that matter?

My only experience with quick release springbars is with steel [that which we don't name] bezel & band sets. The experience wasn't pleasant. When fitting them to screwback cases, upon removal I found that the pin on the opposite side of the quick release 'handle' would always bend because there was no leeway allowing the pin to move freely enough in the lug hole. I've seen quick release springbars with handle mechanisms on both sides, which would alleviate this problem, but casio's only have the one handle -- I'm skeptical if they'll ever work without issue.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts

Slightly off-topic:
Apologies about the dirtiness of the watch 😅 This is my most worn watch. Casio could learn a thing or two about quick release mechanisms from Samsung. Keep it small and minimal.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Very interesting, I've wondered about that myself. Is there anything stopping us from swapping them with regular springbars on this square though, or any watch that uses them for that matter?

My only experience with quick release springbars is with steel [that which we don't name] bezel & band sets. The experience wasn't pleasant. When fitting them to screwback cases, upon removal I found that the pin on the opposite side of the quick release 'handle' would always bend because there was no leeway allowing the pin to move freely enough in the lug hole. I've seen quick release springbars with handle mechanisms on both sides, which would alleviate this problem, but casio's only have the one handle -- I'm skeptical if they'll ever work without issue.
You certainly can swap them for a traditional spring bar. I do that with my Citizen Promaster diver, which is on a Barton Elite strap that comes with QR spring bars. However, being an ISO 200m rated diver it has larger-than-normal size spring bar ends, so the Barton spring bars didn't fit tight and rattled around about. I took them out and just reused the stock spring bars. I wear my watches snug so they don't move on my wrist and I've never noticed the pin digging into me at all.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A carbon case and bezel tells you just how robust the movements themselves are - they need very little protection. Carbon case and bezel aren't going to do much at all for shock protection. Similar to the full metal squares.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts