WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my new Christmas watch, the Casio MDV-106, which I have been enjoying a lot since I opened it. I had been looking for a Sub homage type watch, as well as a quartz grab and go weekend watch, and this was the perfect combination. For the price (my wife said she picked it up for less than $60 shipped) it really is a surprisingly nice watch and I have to say I'm generally very impressed.

The fit and finish is nice, I love the bezel with the nicely polished markings, and the click feel is tight and solid. The case feels nice and solid, and the dial has an interesting satin sheen in the light. My second hand doesn't hit the marks exactly, but I have read of others that do, so it seems like the luck of the draw. I do like the red tip though, which stands out nicely. The screw down crown is a nice feature, and adjusting the time and date is easy, and standard. The lume starts out bright, but fades quickly on my watch and isn't very readable after a few minutes. I haven't tested with a long charge in sunlight yet, but I will.

The bracelet is decent, it is light, which I didn't think I would like at first, but is growing on me. It rattles a little bit, but doesn't feel like the links anywhere are loose or likely to fail. I like the button deployment of the clasp instead of a fingernail-snapping clip. It pulls the odd hair, but it hasn't been doing that on a regular basis so it doesn't bother me. I'll likely put it on a nato soon to try that out in any case.

Casio MDV 106 007.JPG

Casio MDV 106 012.JPG

Casio MDV 106 015.JPG

Casio MDV 106 017.JPG

Casio MDV 106 028.JPG

Casio MDV 106 032.JPG

I would really like to try my hand at some simple modding with this watch, and I think it would look killer with some plongeur style hands. If possible, maybe a dial swap, but I'd be content with the hands at this point, I just don't know where to start. I'm not sure on the details of this movement, the hand sizes, or what would fit as a replacement. There is a lot of info out there for modding Seikos, but I haven't found anything for Casio quartz models. I did see pics from WUS member lyxbaever who put plongeur hands on an MDV-102, but that's about it. If anyone has any ideas on where to start (Yobokies? MCWW?) I'd love to hear them. I'll update if I get anywhere with this project, and pics of the result!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been doing some more research, and I found a few combinations I like so far, if any of them will fit this watch.

Yellow minute hand, red tipped seconds (pic photoshopped slightly & courtesy Yobokies)
Yobokies Yellow Red.jpg

This MCWW red plongeur minute hand looks pretty great as well...
MCWW Modded red.jpg

Or maybe something totally different like this Yobokies lime green
Yobokies lime green Plongeur.jpg

I think ideally I would like to source hands lumed with C3 for the brightness and longevity. And since the original hands are silver (chrome?), I might want to see about getting a coloured minute hand, silver hour hand, and maybe retaining the original red tipped seconds hand in silver. There are a lot of good looking options out there, and being new to watch modding, it's a bit overwhelming at first. I love the idea of it though, since I can't seem to leave other things un-tweaked (car, computer, speakers, house). This just gives me another outlet for my tinkering. I have gone ahead and ordered some cheap tools from eBay to get me started.

Reactions: ZM-73 and abax_312

·
Registered
472 Posts
I really like it! The only thing I would do is put it on a rubber strap as it would match the dial - but to each his own!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like the lime green minute hand.
Your second pic, with the red minute hand is even better, but only with the red-on-black bezel.
All IMHO off course ;-)

I've never opened up a watch myself, so maybe I'm saying something strange, but if you open up the case anyway, I would try a relume as well...

Good luck with it! Looks like a very nice watch, especially for the money.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

GGN, my idea right now is to put it on a Maratac Bond Zulu strap, but I think I'll try a Maratac Elite as well.

puchelaar, that red is really speaking to me, and I think that might be my first choice now (even without the bezel). :)

·
Banned
121 Posts
I am glad you liked my modded casio, it neded a more high visibility hour hand.

I think the hour hand hole was 0.7 mm so it might be hard to find a suitable ploprof hand from the usual sellers, i got mine from a butchered dive watch with ETA movement that i killed in a liquid filled watch experiment.

However not all hope is lost Ofrei do have some ploprof looking hands in the correct size, what you might have to do is paint and relume them yourself since i think they only had chrome and white hands. painting is no big deal remove the lume put the hand on a tooth pic the toothpic in some styrofoam and buy spray paint in the colour you want. Lume paint can be found @ ofrei to but for cheap lume i recomend a ebayseller called glow4u2

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply! It looks like a bit of a setback, but I'll check with Casio to see what they say about the movement and hole sizes (if anything), and maybe I'll get lucky. The Ofrei hands you PM'ed me are a good start, but not quite as cool as the one you used in your project so I think I'll keep searching. I'm not giving up yet...

Reactions: fmadrid

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi just joined this forum looks good! I came across it whilst searching for casio mods. I have a mdv 106 and its a cracking piece, another one worth looking out for is the mtd1064, they arent much more than a mdv 106. I had one for a while and its superb, decent size & the luminescence is fantastic lasts 6 -8 hours on mine with a minimum charge, unfortunately the casing got "crushed" on mine, so i transplanted it into an old rotary chronospeed casing i had lying about, it has chronograph buttons on it, but the mtd isnt a chrono, so they are redundant, looks rather nice though. :)

2012-010.jpg 2012-012.jpg 2012-013.jpg 2012-014.jpg

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice transplant, unkle... I don't know how you crushed the case, but if the movement survived intact, it must be pretty robust.

I tried calling Casio for more information, who were essentially useless. I was told that they didn't issue replacement parts for this model, because it was too low end. It was more efficient for them to just ship out a new watch instead of attempting a repair if something went wrong. The couple people I talked to had no idea what size the holes in the hands were, or how to get in touch with someone who would at the supplier. It looks like I'll just have to take mine apart and measure with a micrometer or something to figure out what size I need.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
How to remove the hands from the movemeNt?

·
Registered
13 Posts
not much help i know OJ, but i messed about with the hands on mine, and found that a few of the sekonda models i had fitted perfectly, although i dont know what size they are:think:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I see they went more of a Rolex Submariner homage look this time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How to remove the hands from the movemeNt?
I'm not actually sure, Triton, as this will be my first attempt at modding a watch, but there are lots of tutorials around the web. I assume it will be something like: remove caseback, remove crown, take movement out of case, use hand puller to remove hands... but I'll let you know how it goes when I get around to actually doing it.

not much help i know OJ, but i messed about with the hands on mine, and found that a few of the sekonda models i had fitted perfectly, although i dont know what size they are:think:
Thanks again unkle... any extra information helps at this point, so I'll file that away and if I come across any sekonda info, it might apply here too.

I see they went more of a Rolex Submariner homage look this time.
Yep, pretty well done affordable standard Sub homage with the case, dial and bezel, with subtle differences. The most obvious difference to me are the hands, which is good because I've never really been a fan of the Mercedes type hour hand. Of course, I would still like to swap these ones for a nice plongeur set, which is the source of my current frustration. They really aren't too bad though. If I can't get a new set to work, maybe I'll just settle for a relume with BGW9 or C3.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little update, but no huge progress yet. GGN pointed me to a link in another thread (on a Spanish forum) that showed the Casio 2784 module actually uses a Miyota 2115 movement, which does in fact use hands sized: 70/120/17. I am still waiting on my tools, but when they come in I'll open the case to confirm. Then once I have definite hand sizes, I can keep looking for a nice set of plongeurs with good lume. Even if I can find something with smaller holes, I assume they could be drilled out to fit... maybe?

Reactions: beached

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It looks like there really aren't many readily available options for hands in this size. Frei does carry some (Luminous Hands Hole Sizes: Hr 0.70 Min 1.20 mm) although no plongeurs like I had hoped. I'm considering ordering a few pairs since they are at least very reasonably priced, and am kind of thinking about...

MDV-106D-1A1V.jpg MDV-106D-1A1V - hands mod 1.jpg MDV-106D-1A1V - hands mod 2.jpg
Original.........................................................Mod style 1...........................................................Mod style 2

Now that I see it in a photoshop, I am getting kind of partial to the last one. If I can't find proper plongeurs, this might be the way to go.

Edit: Hmmmm, shipping from Frei is pretty expensive to Canada, especially for a set of $4.00 hands (which I would have to pad to fill the minimum order of $20)

·
Registered
185 Posts
For what it's worth; I like the last version (mod style 2) best as well.

The second version (your mod style 1) feels as 'wrong' as the original to me (though inverted in a way); in the original the style of the hours and the minutes hands feels different from one another. In 'mod style 1' it's slightly better, but still too different (all IMO of course). The last one feels the most balanced to me.

Whichever way you go; good luck and happy modding! I don't have any self-modded watches, but I'd expect a watch to feel very special after modding it yourself...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mod style 2 is really good looking - same style of hands as used on the Seiko Spork, which is a marvel of readability.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, that's still my favourite as well, but the OP said he can't get those in the right size. Same for the red ones.
'mod style 2' looks like a viable alternative though.

1 - 20 of 575 Posts