21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
not really. Lug to lug is the same .
Let's look at the numbers, keeping in mind that smaller is better for me:

diameter: 41 vs 43.30 = DC7 wins
lug to lug: 49.7 vs 50.4 = DC7 edges it
thickness: 14.6 vs 13.9 = DC8 edges it (note that DC7 is 13.7 without crystal)
lug width: 20 vs 22 = DC7 wins
weight: 89.50 vs 103 = DC7 wins

DC7X is clearly a smaller watch. Will be interesting to see the real life comparisons. Hopefully won't have to wait too long for the YT videos.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let's look at the numbers, keeping in mind that smaller is better for me:

diameter: 41 vs 43.30 = DC7 wins
lug to lug: 49.7 vs 50.4 = DC7 edges it
thickness: 14.6 vs 13.9 = DC8 edges it (note that DC7 is 13.7 without crystal)
lug width: 20 vs 22 = DC7 wins
weight: 89.50 vs 103 = DC7 wins

DC7X is clearly a smaller watch. Will be interesting to see the real life comparisons. Hopefully won't have to wait too long for the YT videos.
your math looks good. I got DC82 on the way- naturally gonna be biased , though I was a little worried about the size of DC8x at ~50LTL. This new dimension of DC7 isn’t enough for me to justify a change. Now If this DC7 came in at 47-48 lug w/bezel then I would have had a real moment of pause. I almost went with u50 (because perfect size) ,but the toyish look didn’t wow me , also to me SINN is becoming a little overrated, compared to Damasko.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmm I really want a center-minutes chrono but I wish the 72 had a bit more flair. Surprised at no colored hands. I might bite on a white dial later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm I really want a center-minutes chrono but I wish the 72 had a bit more flair. Surprised at no colored hands. I might bite on a white dial later.
I would send an e-mail to Damasko and ask for the specific type of colored hands you are looking for. Damasko offers a wide array of customization options, that are not listed on their website - give it a try...

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
I am struggling to understand some elements of Damasko's strategy.

They are putting in-house movements in the three-handers, substantially raising the price without any appreciable performance increase.

Now they appear to be on the way to doing away with the use of ice-hardened steel, a material which has distinguished them from their direct competitor.

They also seem to be experiencing supply shortages and long wait times for some products.

I understand that arguments can be made for these, e.g. ETA availability, corrosion susceptibility of ice-hardened steel, and COVID impacts, but part of me wonders if Damasko is losing its way and departing from the formula that made it so successful.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One thing that I am not getting: somewhere I can imagine that the iron case isn’t used to make it a bit cheaper. On the other hand, the DC80 is only 200 euro’s more. The difference between the DC66 and DC56 is bigger, the only difference being the bezel. Is this case there is not only a bezel but it also lacks an ice-hardened case and it has lost its improved magnetic resistance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
As far as I am concerned I appreciate the „performance increase“ the A26 brings along.
The entire automatic unit was newly developed at Damasko and a new efficient bidirectional pawl winding with 2 ceramic ball bearings to increase winding efficiency was added.
Components made of brass which are commonly known for 2824, 2836 failures have been replaced with hardened steel parts. The balance bridge seems to be a robust part as well.
The components will ensure longevity: They are hardened, free from wear and do not require any lubricants or oils.
I see the price increase justified by the raised quality and longevity of the movements.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
You can always order colored hands. That's one of the reasons I love Damasko.

Reactions: 4hour

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
As far as I am concerned I appreciate the „performance increase“ the A26 brings along.
The entire automatic unit was newly developed at Damasko and a new efficient bidirectional pawl winding with 2 ceramic ball bearings to increase winding efficiency was added.
Components made of brass which are commonly known for 2824, 2836 failures have been replaced with hardened steel parts. The balance bridge seems to be a robust part as well.
The components will ensure longevity: They are hardened, free from wear and do not require any lubricants or oils.
I see the price increase justified by the raised quality and longevity of the movements.
This.
As bolded above --- with the durable A26 series, you can hand-wind them with no damage, unlike the ETA's. IMHO, ETA movement brass gearing that can be damaged by 'hand-winding' is a terrible design to begin with. I, at some point (IF I ever owned an ETA, which I will not), would eventually get fully hand-wound out of habit. Ooops! I do not need to add that to my worry list.

So happy that Damasko decided to create their own durable movement, and the increased cost and features of the A26 (IMHO) are more than justified, as Mr. Stuffler has indicated.
And besides -- With Damasko you always get MORE than you pay for anyway, so I for one do not care if the costs increase. I will always gladly pay for quality; it is almost always worth it.

Reactions: Tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
So true. My next one is going to be a DK30! Was just referring to the differences between the DC70 & DC80. Overall I like the way that Damasko is going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested what Damasko will do with their 3 hand models, like the DA36.
Will they also use this new steel and increase the size to 41?
Will there be a choice in the future between this steel and the ice hardened steel?

My dream watch would be:
  • Same case design as the DA36, but in 41 or 42
  • domed glass with inner AR only
  • Not automatic, but hand wind, with their inhouse movement. Power reserve of 72 would be great, but 50 hours is also ok
  • no day on the dial, only the date
  • a power reserve indicator on the dial

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
Will there be a choice in the future between this steel and the ice hardened steel?

My dream watch would be:
  • Not automatic, but hand wind, with their inhouse movement. Power reserve of 72 would be great, but 50 hours is also ok
The current H 35-1 is with small seconds at 9 and date at 3. Theoretically it is possible to add a power reserve indication to the H 35. However, an added power reserve indication would lead to an unbalanced dial. Maybe the H35 should get a center seconds hand. That would ask some technical changes. Even if Damasko adds a power reserve indication to the H 35 the price of such a watch would increase significantly. The DK105 was about €3000, a modified movement H35 to your specs would be €3500 - €4000. But as you said, it is just a dream.

·
Registered
9 Posts
However, an added power reserve indication would lead to an unbalanced dial
Not necessarily. If you look for example to a PAM, with also small seconds at 9 and date at 3 and power reserve at 4/5
But this is for sure just my personal taste

The DK105 was about €3000, a modified movement H35 to your specs would be €3500 - €4000.
If I compare it to the new DC76, which is at 3.380, it should have a similar price level or a bit lower.
Because it has no chrono, no automatic, but a power reserve instead. So I would expect something between 3000-3300.

But of course, I agree, Damasko has to do some R&D and it depends how often they can sell such a watch

·
Registered
235 Posts

My dream watch would be:
You and I have nearly the exact same dream, though the DK105 is really close to my dream watch already (as Mike points out). I am hopeful that they modify the style of the DK105 with a model in a more blasted finish. I am all in on handwound movements while also adoring Damasko's finishing techniques. The ritualistic winding of the movement keeps it charged at the exact same intervals every day which aids in accuracy. So, wanting to stay with Damasko limits my options. Laco has a similar matte finish but their flat lugs do not wear well and they use the HW 2801, and now probably an okay substitute.

If the A26 movement proves to be a solid auto, with handwound ability for when my wrist movement can't adequately keep up with charging it, then I may have to go that route. Their new pawl winding system in the A26 may be so efficient that there is no need to hand wind it.

If that be the case, I would like to see a 41-42mm version of the DK30. Just a simple 3 hander with date in a size not suitable as a unisex. I love the bezel action and function of the DA46 and my old DK14 but the day of the week on the dial just killed me. With that said, a larger, bezeled watch with the face design of the DK30 would also be a dream watch. If either of these occur, I will immediately sell my two Unitas movement watches and own one Damasko.

My 21 year old Panerai with the 6497-2 is so accurate and simple. But I miss a date window and I miss the look of a Damasko. I also love owning a watch that no one knows what it is...save for the people in this forum.

Damasko truly is cutting edge on the engineering, or over engineering side. "The difference between something good and something great is attention to detail". Mr Damasko could use that person's quote for his company's slogan...

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
Not necessarily. If you look for example to a PAM, with also small seconds at 9 and date at 3 and power reserve at 4/5
But this is for sure just my personal taste

If I compare it to the new DC76, which is at 3.380, it should have a similar price level or a bit lower.
Because it has no chrono, no automatic, but a power reserve instead. So I would expect something between 3000-3300.

But of course, I agree, Damasko has to do some R&D and it depends how often they can sell such a watch
Dream price, imho. The „naked“ H35 is € 3000 (DK 105, 42mm ice-haedened case). With another added complication and center seconds hand it can‘t start at €3000 as you would expect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dream price, imho. The „naked“ H35 is € 3000 (DK 105, 42mm ice-haedened case). With another added complication and center seconds hand it can‘t start at €3000 as you would expect.
I want the DK105 as it is but with a power reserve on the back. A few other watches put the PR there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You and I have nearly the exact same dream, though the DK105 is really close to my dream watch already (as Mike points out). I am hopeful that they modify the style of the DK105 with a model in a more blasted finish. I am all in on handwound movements while also adoring Damasko's finishing techniques. The ritualistic winding of the movement keeps it charged at the exact same intervals every day which aids in accuracy.
100% agree!
I was a few times in their shop and tried the DK105 and wanted me to want it.
But for my wrist the lugs are to straight and I want a more toolish flieger design and other indexes...
But I really like the movement and Damaskos technologies

As I said, it's not absolutely necessary to change the seconds.
But maybe you are right... allow me to dream ;-)

For now I'm still happy with my customized DSub1 and I still own a 15 year old DA36, which looks like a new one.
I hope they will bring a few more new models and then...

21 - 40 of 82 Posts