WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wonder why though. I understand the logic of making the divers watches out of submarine steel, but why make the DK series out of it, whilst the DC7* are made using instrument steel? Unless it's down to magnetism and the DC7*'s has to make use of a faraday cage like the ice hardened watches. Also they are going to have to make 3 different bracelets to ensure the colour match.
Maybe the DK series is submarine steel because its also 200m water resistance like the divers. I have A DS30 and a DA46 both on bracelets. Even though the DS30 bracelet is submarine steel it looks like the clasp is ice hardened. You can tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyone seen a review, a youtube video, or just more photos of these watches yet? I'm eager to see something that can help me judge the thickness in real life.....I've been keeping an eye out but not seen anything yet.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,699 Posts
Anyone seen a review, a youtube video, or just more photos of these watches yet? I'm eager to see something that can help me judge the thickness in real life.....I've been keeping an eye out but not seen anything yet.
Well, the DC7x was announced a month ago, estimated delivery time is 5 weeks. I doubt that watches have already been delivered which explains that there are no reviews yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm expecting them to wear very similar to the DC5x range - they're 1mm wider and 0.8mm thicker - I have a DC76 on order, so will comment as soon as it lands.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, the DC7x was announced a month ago, estimated delivery time is 5 weeks. I doubt that watches have already been delivered which explains that there are no reviews yet.
You're politely saying "stop being so impatient", and you're right :D

I thought delivery time might be faster within Europe, but yeah, hopefully see some reviews fairly soon

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm expecting them to wear very similar to the DC5x range - they're 1mm wider and 0.8mm thicker - I have a DC76 on order, so will comment as soon as it lands.
Thanks, it's particularly the thickness of the caseback that I'm curious about. I have a Longines 7750 based chrono that has what is to me a very "bulbous" caseback, from the hand side of my wrist it becomes quite obvious. It looks like Damasko have gone with a thicker case and a thinner caseback which I'm hoping will be less obvious, even if the total thickness is similar. But I notice all the promotional shots are taken from an angle that minimizes the caseback, so it's hard to tell.....

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Those looks pretty dang nice!

Maybe next we can hope for a brightly colored Dsub chrono with a gmt and bracelet w/ ratchet or glidelock clasp?

Sorry, I know I'm dreaming

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This would be a phenomenal watch! But if we can dream it, can’t they make it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My yet to be delivered DC86 had a delivery time of 4 weeks, 3 months later I'm still waiting........

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I ordered a custom DC76 four weeks ago - no word since. Last time I ordered a custom watch from them, it was about 7 weeks, and that was before the insanity of 'Brexit'...
Out of curiosity could you say what you ordered? I have read very little about being able to make custom orders with Damasko but I’m sure they would be able to change hands and colors pretty easily?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Out of curiosity could you say what you ordered? I have read very little about being able to make custom orders with Damasko but I’m sure they would be able to change hands and colors pretty easily?
I ordered a custom DC56 earlier this year. They can definitely swap hands, including to different colors. The cost was based on how many hands I had swapped, but they were upfront about it all. Took about five weeks from order to delivery to US.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Orange chronograph hands.

I find it mildly puzzling that Damasko don't make it clearer. If you look it at it from the watch maker's perspective - if they have the required parts in their parts-trays - and they fit - they can do it. So, many hands are interchangeable for different colours and shapes, some dials too, so long as they fit in the case, bezels are interchangeable for insert and grip, and for a few designs (like DC80 and DC70) the 'handedness' of the crown can be swapped from right to left. That much is safe to assume.

What I believe they don't do is to do truly bespoke stuff - like one-off dial colours, unique hands designs, one-off caseworks etc., because manufacturing of this sort only make sense if you are tooling-up for a production run.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I find it mildly puzzling that Damasko don't make it clearer. If you look it at it from the watch maker's perspective - if they have the required parts in their parts-trays - and they fit - they can do it.
Might be tough for retail relationships? Shop can’t stock a totally customizable range, and might not want to stock “base” models if the manufacturer holds out direct orders as the way to go?

Plus if you’re going to offer that, you probably gotta build out and maintain a whole customizer function on the website.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Orange chronograph hands.

I find it mildly puzzling that Damasko don't make it clearer. If you look it at it from the watch maker's perspective - if they have the required parts in their parts-trays - and they fit - they can do it. So, many hands are interchangeable for different colours and shapes, some dials too, so long as they fit in the case, bezels are interchangeable for insert and grip, and for a few designs (like DC80 and DC70) the 'handedness' of the crown can be swapped from right to left. That much is safe to assume.

What I believe they don't do is to do truly bespoke stuff - like one-off dial colours, unique hands designs, one-off caseworks etc., because manufacturing of this sort only make sense if you are tooling-up for a production run.
Agreed all around. Seems like good business to promote the ‘have it your way’ at least as far as having parts that fit on hand. Nonetheless I’ll wait a bit longer to see what comes out and then perhaps order a custom something or other.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Might be tough for retail relationships? Shop can’t stock a totally customizable range, and might not want to stock “base” models if the manufacturer holds out direct orders as the way to go?

Plus if you’re going to offer that, you probably gotta build out and maintain a whole customizer function on the website.
... as someone who has worked on ecommerce sites, I have to say most watch companies have pretty poor websites. They can barely manage "filter by dial size" let alone a customizer.

(And curiously it doesn't correlate to high vs low end either, there are some brands that could fund a website with one watch sale that still can't manage to list all their watches under a set of filters....)

So yeah, I think it makes sense for Damasko to ask people to email them for customization options. But a static page with some example photos of custom models they've made in the past shouldn't be beyond them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The version with the sundials is really nice but in partial to the DC5x and DC6x. Maybe they’ll receive a movement update in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm slightly curious if Damasko can make an orange similar to what Fortis uses. A darker than normal orange, Fluco orange i think it's called? Sort of a burnt orange would be nice. I've never been much of a fan of the color they selected for the orange Dsub, too light for my taste. Guess i'm just picky lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
... as someone who has worked on ecommerce sites, I have to say most watch companies have pretty poor websites. They can barely manage "filter by dial size" let alone a customizer.

(And curiously it doesn't correlate to high vs low end either, there are some brands that could fund a website with one watch sale that still can't manage to list all their watches under a set of filters....)
HEARTILY agree with you - watch websites in general are incredibly bad, lots of Web 1.0 design, lots of incredibly slow-loaders, utter lack of logic to structure, truly dismal images (usually a single face-on CAD render!), or no images at-all, little or no technical information...

And yet, tiny companies like Dekla can manage to produce a basic configurator for their watches!

I suppose it's symptomatic of the entire industry never having dragged its collective head out of a 1970s mindset - it's an anachronism in all the wrong ways.

Yeah, bypassing dealers and ordering direct is a bugbear in this and a lot of other retail. I sold hifi for a living for a few years, but was shafted repeatedly by manufacturers and wholesalers who were all jumping into direct-to-customer ecommerce back then. As soon as it happened my stock became unsaleable, some of it I couldn't even get wholesale prices for - some is still in storage!

Now though, as a customer, I'm in a unique situation because our nation's economic suicide-pact called 'Brexit' means I now have to pay a large premium for imported goods and run a high risk of being taxed each time those goods re-cross national borders for things like repair! Consequently, I have ordered my custom DC76 via a dealer so that I have local support and warranty backup. He was more than happy to handle such an order.

·
Registered
91 Posts
61 - 80 of 82 Posts