WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I have an old Jenny built Caribbean 1000 that needs a new crown (and stem).
Does anyone have an idea on where I might be able to source a correct one?

Its a good looking watch that deserves new life. :)

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi Peter,

A close friend of mine in Oz has started his own online shop for watch parts. He and I have discussed at length the possibility of finding a good screwdown crown for my vintage SUB 300 Sharkie, a crown that bears a passable resemblance to gen. He shows some of his inventory here, but he has a lot more waterproof crowns than this and I and confident he has something that will look very nice, and will be waterproof. Give him a shout, and see what he can come up with. Looking over his inventory, I found one that looks nearly identical to the gen piece, with two case tube thread depths to pick from. It's a nice assortment to draw from.

Contact Alan here: Assortments - Crowns. - Watchbitz watchmaking tools and supplies

Good luck,
Nanuq

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, Nanuq. :-!
I will send Alan a mail and see if there's some that will look good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Many thanks, Nanuq. :-!
I will send Alan a mail and see if there's some that will look good.

+1:thanks

I checked out that web site and finally found proper instructions for my waterproof tester:-!

He has a good assortment of supplies and tools at fair prices.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You won't find a more honest guy to deal with either. Mention my name and he'll probably raise your prices ten percent too! :-!

I was looking for a replacement screw-down crown for my SUB 300 Sharkie and he sent his supplier's documents showing the selection. I found one that looks just like the original crown, minus the DOXA lettering. He can even provide two case tube lengths, for a thick or thin case sidewall. Bernie was working a project on his SUB 300 and when he's finished he's going to measure the case wall thickness for me, and I'll know which crown/tube to order.

·
Registered
570 Posts
SUB 300 or 300T? I have an empty 300T case I can measure. It has the sailboat caseback. 11899
Just in case it's approximately 7.22 mm. The measurement was taken across the tube to the threads inside the case. About 3.65 eyeballed across the case.
Measurements taken with a General brand digital caliper.

Probably not much help. I aim to please...just not a good shot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's a SUB300, no "T". Alan has a long and a short crown tube, by which I'm referring to the length of the threads that penetrate the case itself. I'm sort of leaning toward the long one; I know it would be better and stronger if there's enough meat there to thread into.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Are the tubes threaded? After looking at my 300T with a loop my tube only goes about half way into the case and I see no threads from the inside of the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts