WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking when I was writing this thread, how long have I wanted a Damasko! It feels like forever but of course on a forum there's a date for everything. In September 2015 I made a thread saying that my next watch would be a Damasko, asking for advice and here we are!
As it turns out I haven't bought myself a watch for 7 years since I bought my Nomos Orion. Funnily enough I did buy a DS30 but it was for my brother in law.
I really wanted to buy a beautiful mechanical watch that I could wear at work without having to worry about scratching it all over the place. My work has always been quite rough and I needed something that could take a beating whilst still functioning really well and looking great!
That could only be one of two brands right? Sinn or Damasko and when it came down to it I just saw the DC56 being the best fulfilment of my needs.
Loads of research, travelling for hours to see them and try them on, I realised that the DC56 would suit all my needs and better yet I could customise it to be just how I wanted.
I went through Chronomaster which was a great experience, would highly recommend to anyone.
I asked for all the chrono hands to be orange and I also asked for the slim minute and hour hands like the Dc80. The orange chrono hands felt like the right choice. I'm a huge German car fan and have always loved the purposeful VDO gauges with their beautiful orange hands sweeping the black dials.
When the watch turned up, there had been some miscommunication and it had DC66 hands! Neal at Chronomaster got back to me after the weekend and said they were arranging to change them but by then I had fallen in love with them and decided to keep them. They are very much a part of Damasko whilst the slim hands look a lot more generic.
I really love this watch. The colour of the steel, the way it shimmers, its beautiful. The sharp lines of the case make it look like the proper instrument that it is. The clarity of the dial, its so stark with nothing there that doesn't need to be.
As an engineer it's clear that this watch was designed by engineers, form over function and that really appeals to me.
I have to say, the orange chrono hands just look fantastic, I am surprised that this is not a factory option from Damasko. But who knows, maybe it will be in the future!
I'd just like to say thank you to all of you. You helped encourage me to get my watch, without this forum it is unlikely that I would have! I'm very proud to finally have a Damasko of my own and be a part of the community!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Congratulations, looks great with the orange hands- think the DC80 hand may have looked a little lost on that model, and would have blended into the sub-dials etc..

·
Registered
297 Posts
I love your customized DC56 - in fact it looks pretty much that I would like my future customized DC86 to look like...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Really love this. Great idea to get all the chrono hands done. Wonder if something like this would work on the white dial DC57? Congrats on yours!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
H-u-g-e congratulations! b-)

I got myself the monochrome DC56 this week and I have a very concrete idea, how impressive and special this watch is.

I love the tone of orange Damasko uses, I wish they would make a 3-hander in the style of the DC80 with an orange second hand, which would surely make me buy another Damasko.
Was it a choice to keep the running second white, if I may ask? The orange hands on your personalized DC56 look simply fantastic, a beautiful accent yet so discreet that they perfectly blend in with the overall muted and technical appearance. Really wow!

May you have big fun long time and btw, I like your very effective collection! |>

Cheers!
Bernd

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations, looks great with the orange hands- think the DC80 hand may have looked a little lost on that model, and would have blended into the sub-dials etc..
Yes that's kind of what I thought as well after seeing it with these hands.

Really like your customized DC56. Congrats.
Thanks Mike thanks for all your help!

Really love this. Great idea to get all the chrono hands done. Wonder if something like this would work on the white dial DC57? Congrats on yours!
I bet it would, the DA43 looks awesome!

H-u-g-e congratulations! b-)

I got myself the monochrome DC56 this week and I have a very concrete idea, how impressive and special this watch is.

I love the tone of orange Damasko uses, I wish they would make a 3-hander in the style of the DC80 with an orange second hand, which would surely make me buy another Damasko.
Was it a choice to keep the running second white, if I may ask? The orange hands on your personalized DC56 look simply fantastic, a beautiful accent yet so discreet that they perfectly blend in with the overall muted and technical appearance. Really wow!

May you have big fun long time and btw, I like your very effective collection! |>

Cheers!
Bernd
Thanks! If its just hands then I'm sure thry could modify something for you.
Yes I chose to keep the seconds hand white as I wanted white time hands and orange chrono hands.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Thanks! If its just hands then I'm sure thry could modify something for you.
I absolutely wanted the monochrome, restrained look of my DC56 and wouldn't do a change. Yours is just so sexy! :)

Yes I chose to keep the seconds hand white as I wanted white time hands and orange chrono hands.
I thought 'Why not all subdials with orange hands?', but that makes total sense! |>

Cheers!
Bernd

·
Registered
762 Posts
Fabulous piece. Mine has a custom-blue chrono seconds hand, and I did think about trying to do the totalizers also, a la the Omega FOIS, but the costs added up pretty quickly. Love the orange and the watch, of course, is a classic. Still my favourite Damasko chrono. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Awesome watch! At one point I had a stock DC56 (along with a Sinn 103 St). One thing that I noticed when comparing those two chronos of mine - the chrono hands on the Sinn were visually different than the time telling hands. They all had arrow tips on them, whereas the time hands were straight ends. The stock DC56 I had did not have this differentiation. Aside from the flieger style hour & minute hands, all the rest were straight hands.

Had I had a DC56 like yours, I likely would have kept it! I love when the chrono specific hands are different than the time telling hands.

Damn you, now I'm thinking of a DC56 again!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome watch! At one point I had a stock DC56 (along with a Sinn 103 St). One thing that I noticed when comparing those two chronos of mine - the chrono hands on the Sinn were visually different than the time telling hands. They all had arrow tips on them, whereas the time hands were straight ends. The stock DC56 I had did not have this differentiation. Aside from the flieger style hour & minute hands, all the rest were straight hands.

Had I had a DC56 like yours, I likely would have kept it! I love when the chrono specific hands are different than the time telling hands.

Damn you, now I'm thinking of a DC56 again!
Yes the Sinn 356 also has those hands.
Get a DC56 and make it your own!

·
Registered
Damasko DB2
85 Posts
yes! I think I prefer some of the Sinn styling (particularly on the chronos that use the red/orange hands). So this is pretty much perfect. I might want to swap in baton hands and then this is 100%. Sorry to resurect an old thread. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Beautiful

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That looks fantastic!

The custom orange hands give the watch real character and the satisfaction of knowing it is yours.

I too was debating about sword hands vs baton hands for my DC80, but I already have a Sinn EZM 1.1 and EZM 10 with baton hands so, I thought it would be best to differentiate a bit. I am happy with my choice now that I have it in hand.

Using separate colors for the Chrono functions is truly the best way to go. I say this after 31 years of military and commercial flying experience.

I know that Damasko is a small shop, but they are positioning themselves well by giving us WISs what we want. It is real value added. There is a lot of competition out there, and Damasko can carve out a niche by continuing to go the extra mile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts