WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My next purchase will likely be some sort of GADA, everyday watch. In my humble collection, I have divers, a good chrono, a couple of vintage pieces, a dressy or two in there.

I'm circling around the BB36, but wondering what I'm missing that's out there

My thinking:
No date 3 hander
great lume (my seiko divers have spoiled me)
36-38mm, 46mm L2L max, (less would be better for my preferences)
100m* WR
$2500 max
Open to anything really, micros, whatever.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
Stop circling and strike. Sure there are plenty of other contenders but the BB has captured your interest and that counts for a lot in my book.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is WUS, where people think they need at least 1500m WR for a daily driver.

Reactions: jmariorebelo

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
0.1m or 1/3ft WR isn't difficult to achieve for even vintage piece. :)

Perhaps, you want SLIGHTLY higher WR rating? Yes, WIS tend to err in more but you appear to have gone extreme in the other way.

Reactions: Bob1035

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0.1m or 1/3ft WR isn't difficult to achieve for even vintage piece. :)

Perhaps, you want SLIGHTLY higher WR rating? Yes, WIS tend to err in more but you appear to have gone extreme in the other way.
oof, you got me there. Fixed.

Stop circling and strike. Sure there are plenty of other contenders but the BB has captured your interest and that counts for a lot in my book.
You are probably correct!

·
Premium Member
36,256 Posts
BB is a great all around watch , IMHO.
If you like it get it and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It has a date at 6 o clock, but folks seem to like the Monta Triumph. 38.5mm diameter, 46.5 L2L.
I have a BB36, and it's a great watch. If that's the one you're drawn to, you probably won't be disappointed in it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
BB36 is the best option if you don't want a date IMO. An alternative could be a Damasko DK 30 (46.5 L2L).

Alternatives with a date:
  • Formex Essence
  • Sinn 556
  • Monta Noble (47 L2L)
  • Norqain freedom 60 39mm

Go with Tudor :)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I'll second the Monta recommendation. The BB36 is nice but you're paying a premium for the Tudor name - the watch is pretty basic. I have nothing against paying a little extra, I own a Tudor and love it but the feature set on the Monta is superior, especially if you step up to the Atlas - fully applied markers on the dial, a GMT complication and one of the best bracelets on any watch under $5k.

EDIT: I just noticed I ignored some of your requirements - the watch has a date and four hands. I hate being that guy but there it is. The Monta Noble is a three hander. If you can put up with a date, I'm guessing you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My next purchase will likely be some sort of GADA, everyday watch.
No date 3 hander
great lume (my seiko divers have spoiled me)
36-38mm, 46mm L2L max, (less would be better for my preferences)
100m* WR
$2500 max
I've thought about this space a lot myself. I think you'll be happy with a BB36, but some other things to think about, for at least $1,000 under your budget:
  • Halios Universa or Fairwind -- 48 mm L2L but it's pretty sweet and I've seen it look good on a 6.25" wrist.
  • Sinn 556 -- 38.5 mm technically, but there are a few dials that are dateless -- Mother-of-Pearl (light or dark, but not in the US), Blue, & Brown (plus a Grey LE from 2016 on the secondary market).
  • Lorier Falcon -- 36 mm with acrylic crystal.
I have a Universa and the lume is nearly as good as my SKX007 (which is the best I've seen). Shopping experience with Halios can be a bit rough since it's a one-person show and the passion there is watch design not the sales experience. If you're willing to go up to a 40 mm case the Halios Seaforth fixed bezel might be worth a look.

I don't have direct experience with the Sinn 556 or Lorier Falcon. 556 lume looks a little weak in photos but that H-Link bracelet looks really sweet to me. Lume on the Falcon was described by Worn & Wound as "BGW9 lume ... applied [...] with a nice heavy hit. Turn the lights out, and you get a nice teal blue glow."

Good luck with the decision. You're going to love that Tudor. :)

Reactions: Bob1035

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That for all the replies! The 556 is definitely on my radar, and I have plenty of other ideas now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts