WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm nearly a week into owning my first Damasko, as DA44, but have noticed that the movement is extremely noisy, much more so than any other watch I own. Is this normal? I can hear it ticking sometimes even when my arm is in the down at my side position, but perhaps more worrying is that the movement itself - i.e rotor and other things?! makes a lot of noise when moving around. It doesn't sound smooth at all. What could be causing this and is there anything I should be aware of? Do you think it needs to be sent back or replaced?

Oh, I should mention though that it is keeping extremely good time - which I thought was a bit weird.

Please help advise, as if I need to send back I want to do it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't hear my rotor move,but I can hear I tick when on the wrist.
my omega rings like a bell when ticking next to my bed so that got moved
I wouldnt be worried about the ticking
Personally.
You could always just send them a email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't got an AD's response as they are miles away from where I live and it's a difficult thing to explain or take a look at without them hearing it, hence asking here if it's normal first and the knowledge on here is probably better than the AD.

I don't want to send back to them and then they send it back to Damasko and them I'm left without a watch for weeks only to have it sent back saying there is nothing wrong with it!

What was your AD's response?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haven't got an AD's response as they are miles away from where I live and it's a difficult thing to explain or take a look at without them hearing it, hence asking here if it's normal first and the knowledge on here is probably better than the AD.

I don't want to send back to them and then they send it back to Damasko and them I'm left without a watch for weeks only to have it sent back saying there is nothing wrong with it!
I have had 2 Damasko's they both sounded the same so I wouldn't worry I could also hear mine on my wrist while driving.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hmmm... I would suspect the same challenges when it comes to physical\auditory examination as well as clearly explaining the problem would exist when positing on a forum?

In my experience, I have found posting questions on a watch forum can be very helpful. However, I have learned that a phone call or email to a reputable AD can often cut out the speculation that can come from the challenges you aptly described: we can't see it, hear it, and are left to interpret your explanation.

My advice to you would be, first, since this is new watch and under warranty, contact your AD. Not to minimize the knowledge base here, but most of us are casual owners, meaning we may own a piece or so, and our experience is limited to just that. I'm not sure how many here are watchmakers. Your ad is (or should be) be an expert on Damasko watches, handles many pieces per week, and is either a watchmaker, or has one they use for inspection and repair, who is very familiar with the movement in question, and Damasko in general.

Then, you can use a forum as a sounding board to what your AD suggests, or what you think you should do.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have had 2 Damasko's they both sounded the same so I wouldn't worry I could also hear mine on my wrist while driving.

I have a DA47 that sounds like what you describe, and a DA46 that does not. But the DA47 did not start out this way, and is 6 months old, vs. the 46 that is less than 8 weeks. I sent the 47 to my AD for a stem issue, mentioned the noise. His watchmaker checked it our, adjusted the stem, and gave it an all clear. The autowinding sound is still there, so that "passed inspection" as within normal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you're saying, but mine was literally the first ever Damasko the AD had in as they have only just became an AD. They didn't know anything about them and wouldn't have anything to compare to.

Hmmm... I would suspect the same challenges when it comes to physical\auditory examination as well as clearly explaining the problem would exist when positing on a forum?

In my experience, I have found posting questions on a watch forum can be very helpful. However, I have learned that a phone call or email to a reputable AD can often cut out the speculation that can come from the challenges you aptly described: we can't see it, hear it, and are left to interpret your explanation.

My advice to you would be, first, since this is new watch and under warranty, contact your AD. Not to minimize the knowledge base here, but most of us are casual owners, meaning we may own a piece or so, and our experience is limited to just that. I'm not sure how many here are watchmakers. Your ad is (or should be) be an expert on Damasko watches, handles many pieces per week, and is either a watchmaker, or has one they use for inspection and repair, who is very familiar with the movement in question, and Damasko in general.

Then, you can use a forum as a sounding board to what your AD suggests, or what you think you should do.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I know what you're saying, but mine was literally the first ever Damasko the AD had in as they have only just became an AD. They didn't know anything about them and wouldn't have anything to compare to.
Ah, well that's new news. And unfortunate. Didn't know Page & Cooer had some competition! You may still want to let them know in case it needs a warranty repair. The more time that goes by, the more they might place this as something you did, and therefor out of warranty. Such as a hard hit, dropped, etc.

Perhaps you have experience with other auto watches, and might have a local watch maker that has experience with ETA 24XX movements? Maybe an AD for another band that used the same movement? It's a fairly common, widely used movement. I wouldn't let anyone except the AD open it up, but I would want an opinion by a good watchmaker who knows these movements as to if this is normal or cause for concern. Even if it was by email or phone call.

Personally, if it concerned me, that much, I'd send it back to the AD for a check and service if needed. Sure that's disappointed to not have the watch you paid for, but on the other hand it may be a source of continued disappointment to always wonder if something is wrong. You must have other watches?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No, that doesn't sound normal :)
Agree. Personally, I'd not be inclined to buy a $1,500 USD watch from an AD that professes complete ignorance about the watch. Seem very hands-off to me, and not a positive reflection on what kind of service I'd expect. Especially where Damasko seems to have MAP pricing: in the UK, you would pay the same from P&C, and they have been dealing in Damasko's for many years. The OP already stated no local dealer, so no advantage there; mail is involved either way. I have no experience with P&C, but I have heard all positive things about them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that's a little harsh. The person I dealt with hadn't seen one in the flesh before mine, but then being a chain store, she wouldn't have been the one who has the direct relationship with Damasko and possibly just hadn't been trained on them yet as it had literally come into stock the day before. I don't think it was ignorance - she seemed to have good knowledge on their other brands. I bought it from them as I had a voucher for money off, and had been disappointed by the lack of response to some simple questions from P & C. Agreed - P & C's knowledge is great and they were initially really helpful but I was disappointed in the slow email responses and I didn't get the answers to questions I was asking. Also, where I bought it from in the end actually had one in stock.

Agree. Personally, I'd not be inclined to buy a $1,500 USD watch from an AD that professes complete ignorance about the watch. Seem very hands-off to me, and not a positive reflection on what kind of service I'd expect. Especially where Damasko seems to have MAP pricing: in the UK, you would pay the same from P&C, and they have been dealing in Damasko's for many years. The OP already stated no local dealer, so no advantage there; mail is involved either way. I have no experience with P&C, but I have heard all positive things about them.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think that's a little harsh. The person I dealt with hadn't seen one in the flesh before mine, but then being a chain store, she wouldn't have been the one who has the direct relationship with Damasko and possibly just hadn't been trained on them yet as it had literally come into stock the day before. I don't think it was ignorance - she seemed to have good knowledge on their other brands. I bought it from them as I had a voucher for money off, and had been disappointed by the lack of response to some simple questions from P & C. Agreed - P & C's knowledge is great and they were initially really helpful but I was disappointed in the slow email responses and I didn't get the answers to questions I was asking. Also, where I bought it from in the end actually had one in stock.
Harsh? In what way. This is what you said about your AD: "They didn't know anything about them and wouldn't have anything to compare to."

Now you are saying it's the sale rep you dealt that with was unfamiliar with the brand, but there's perhaps someone else who "has the direct relationship with Damasko" and therefor might be trained on the brand?

Was all of this (the sale) done via email or over the phone? Your OP suggests you had to order it vs buying from a local store, hence it would have to go back via mail for any examination. Is that correct?

What does not seem to make sense to me, sorry, and perhaps you're doing this but just not mentioning it here, is why you do not seem to be taking a fairly basic first step with any new watch with a potential warranty issue: contact your dealer. It sounds like you have had no contract with your AD on this issue. Do I have that right?

The reason for the above (and maybe I have that wrong?) seems to be that you are assuming they can't help you, being a new AD. But you are also now introducing that there may be someone who is trained, somewhere in the back ground? Shouldn't exploring or confirming that be at least part of the action you take on this issue?

Good luck with your watch. My DA46 is my new everyday watch (will soon flip the 47, although it's an excellent piece and the while dial is a real standout, just can't justify 2 of the same watch).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
OP it's normal. I think it's something to do with the anti-magnetic cage that amplifies the sound, of both the rotor and the ticking. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whatever you do, at least inform your AD of the issue just in case there ís a problem.

I say Prius!
But kidding aside (or not?).... that is well, quite remarkable!
It's true lol.. If I have the radio off I can hear it when holding the steering wheel must reflect of the window.
It's a Audi A6 it's a pretty quiet cabin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts