WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one article weve been playing with for some time, as many of you know we really love this watch and think this is a great modern sized 70s watch with superbly built movement.

We trust you enjoy the write up! The SMf300 rocks! :-!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Excellent article, jon! That pre-history of the 1250 was well done and enjoyable. I had not realized that the positional dependencies in the 214 movement were so severe. What are the (apparently adjustable) devices on the bottom of the tuning fork arms? Are they for adjusting the frequency?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Excellent article. Wonderful layout and pictures. Good writing! |> |>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hiya Bruce,

yes the little "propellers" on the base of the fork are for timing adjustment. It's difficult to see on the photo but there are markings on their base-plates. Each division represents a change of 1 sec/day.
To slow the watch down the left adjuster is turned anti-clockwise and the right clockwise, vice versa for gain.

Andy
(DD admin)

Excellent article, jon! That pre-history of the 1250 was well done and enjoyable. I had not realized that the positional dependencies in the 214 movement were so severe. What are the (apparently adjustable) devices on the bottom of the tuning fork arms? Are they for adjusting the frequency?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Thanks, Andy! A very clever upgrade to the 214 design. Not only is the fork poised, it can be regulated as well. This whole thing must have been very satisfying for Hetzel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are right Bruce,
As Jon said on another forum "the f300 is the best of the hummers" and I agree with him. the fork itself is a work of art and the reason why I included the pics of it and the earlier accutron (actually its a 218) fork. The modular nature of the movement is also a touch of genius. the mechanical and electronic modules separate, the index wheel staying in the electronic side, this means you can service the mechanics, change hands and dials then simply pop back on the electronic module. No need to re-index the pawl fingers and no risk of damage to the index wheel. Very useful as the date wheels are made out of soft toffee!
All in all my favourite movt.

cheers

Andy

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy Foz has hit the nail on the head really. Hetzel really had his work cut out to redesign the Accutron to the f300 and yet he made what I think of as the PS2 of computers. When it came out it was expensive but a lot of thought had gone into how it would also come apart and be fixed. The PS2 was the computer you could take apart without tooks - lots of snap studs etc, and the f300 is similar with its split movt. Hetzel's later 720 was also superbly engineerd and very innovative but only the brave could take it apart as one slip and the magnetic gears would be ruined - so the f300 remains the pinacle of the hummers, yet is simple enough to be worn the masses as it could be fixed by almost any watchmaker.

In fact the Omega service manual advises splitting the movement to do any work as knocking the secs hand when taking the movt out of the case could damage the small pawl/index wheel etc. And with it being so simple to do it makes perfect sense to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts