WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full tritium 1990 Explorer 1. The lume is as good as gone. There is still a faint rest but really you can't see it unless your eyes are totally accustomed to the dark already and the lume has been very well charged.

The lume is just starting to get that nice patina. Very early still in the patina process but detectable. I could get a relume done but then I lose the patina (unless I use some of that vintage look lume) and possibly Rolex might refuse to work on the watch if ever that becomes necessary.

So I'd like to get a new set of hands and dial with Superluminova but keep the old one.

What's the best way to accomplish that? I hear RSC usually doesn't let you keep the old one.

Till

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
You might be able to purchase the spare parts grey market. Try Steve Mulholland over on TRF. Once you have them, any competent watchmaker should be able to install them and will be happy to return your old parts to you.

Jeannie

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
A Rolex certified watchmaker with a parts account can order hands, but not dials. You'll need to take Jeannie's advice for the dial.

·
Registered
658 Posts
call giovanni at the sf service center, and i am sure he will be able to help you out. (415) 982-9830, and tell him roger sent you. :-!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ask your local RSC if they will return to you the old parts.
In RSC in Athens, Greece they do it.

Regards
Dimitris

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I will follow up on your hints. I know the RSC in Germany won't return the old dial/hand set and I think the US RSC won't do it, either, unless you got a special connection. Thanks, Roger, for the possible "in".

We have a Rolex authorized watchmaker here in Austin. Ideally, I'd let them do the work. The idea of sending the watch by mail is slightly scary, although I know not much can/should happen. And I'd ask the local guy if he would be willing to add some lume to the 3,6,9 numerals. I've actually seen that on replicas. It looks great and would make readability even better.

I also just realized that this is one of the first series 14270. They came out in 1990. So this model might actually be kind of a collectible.

Thanks again,

Till

1 - 6 of 6 Posts