WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Here's the deal...I traded my Ball NEDU Hydrocarbon a few months ago because it was way too big and clunky for me. A beautiful watch, just didn't wear well on my wrist. I was left diver-less. Not much of an issue for me (so I thought) since I don't spend much time in water.

But I did miss the unidirectional bezel and also like the idea of something to wear in or near water without much worry. I wanted something that didn't look like most divers and would wear comfortably on land with versatility. Case size would have to be 42mm diameter or less and 13mm or less thick.

Water resistance, 200m or greater with no other complications except for date. Price in the $2K range or lower (preferably lower)

I narrowed my choices to these two:

LonginesLegendDiver.jpg
Longines Legend Diver

Rado-D-Star-200.jpg
Rado D-Star 200

OK, so I already decided and got the watch yesterday. Just wanted some opinions on which you would have chosen and why. I'll share some photos in a day or so. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
I'd go with the Rado (well, I sort of did). The D-Star first came to my attention here a week or so ago, which got me looking at Rado again. However, I went for the Original Diver, which is a different look (I wanted different). The D-Star, and the D-Star Chrono are great looking watches that you won't see often. I also like the Longines, but I'd go with the Rado and (I think) save a few bucks.

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
Doxa 1200 T. And hurry up - it's down to the last few models online.

Reactions: Docrwm

·
Premium Member
39,816 Posts
Two good choices. The LLD gets a lot of love around here. My vote would go for the Rado though - a very beautiful, well designed watch.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Rado as I don't think the LLD has a bracelet option. I like the option to put a strap on a diver, but would wear it on the bracelet most of the time.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Longines Legend Diver would be my choice. It is one of the most versatile divers that cost less than a Submariner… If you want to put it in water often, you'll have to be fine with a straight end bracelet though...

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
Nice unique look! A true diver, but it may have been too bulky for what I was hoping for.
Ah -yes. And my apologies. I didn't read that you've already narrowed your choices. I love the look of the Longines - but having tried it on the lugs were just too long for my wrist. I'd vote for the Rado - which is still a beautiful, well constructed dive watch. That said, if the Longines fit my wrist, I'd be buying that one.

Reactions: Victor Cruz

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Size considerations aside, if you like the LLD then that's a pretty good choice. I actually don't love it but there's no reason to believe I'm right about that. Lack of bracelet could be a concern but I think I'd give a whole lot of thought to aftermarket mesh before it turned into a deal-breaker.

Side note about the Rado: It doesn't have all the characteristics of a "true" diver: no lume pip, no 15 minute counter and lack of hashes on the bezel, no crown guard. That would bug some purists, but not me.

So: Classic icon(ish), old-school diver that has a great chance to look good on mesh or a dressier blue diver which is great in it's own right because hardly anything beats the panache of a blue dive watch. It would have been tough to screw this one up.

Regardless of the choice you've made, don't take some of my comments too much too heart...it's just one fella's opinion.

Reactions: Victor Cruz
1 - 20 of 30 Posts