WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellas,

I recently bought a GWM5610, and I really enjoy it, but don’t tell my mechanical watches (I know they aren’t sentient, but sometimes I think they’re on to me).

I’ve been browsing AliExpress for aftermarket parts, and I’ve decided that my next purchase will probably be a metal case/bracelet set for my G-Shock. So, my question, if you care to answer, is this: would you recommend titanium or steel?

I like the fact that I can get a steel set for almost 3x less than titanium, but titanium has always intrigued me as a watch material. I don’t know if the price of the steel would outweigh (no pun intended) the weight and toughness of the titanium.

I’d probably go black for the set and let it get a little dinged up so it looks sexy. I’m just trying to weigh the pros and cons of lightness vs cheapness, I guess. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has any experience with the aftermarket Ali sets, please chime in!

[Edit]: I guess this is my 100th post. If I ever get something worth selling, I’ll know where to go. Thanks everyone for all the help and great info this past year!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
we ain't gonna talk about fakes or after-market stuffs around here

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
we ain't gonna talk about fakes or after-market stuffs around here
Then why did you bother to comment?

[Edit]: That sounded a bit harsh, and I mean no disrespect. The watch is, afaik, not a fake (bought it off of Amazon), and I know that it’s pretty common for folks around here to buy aftermarket bezels from eBay or AliExpress. Ignoring the fact that some of these aftermarket parts have the name “G-Shock” stamped on them, when they are obviously not coming out of Casio’s factory, how is it any different than buying a new, non-OEM bezel or bracelet for, say, an SKX? I will gladly look into genuine Casio aftermarket parts if you can direct me to a source that sells them.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I'll talk after market "stuffs".

I went steel. The cost of titanium case/bracelet was about twice the $98 I paid for my 5610.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Sweet! How does the weight feel on the wrist?

I've got more watches on bracelets than on straps. I've never minded a watch with some weight.

That being said its comfy. I prefer the added weight compared to the stock resin bezel and strap. Bracelet has four micro adjust holes so I was able to get a pretty perfect fit.

Edit: I should mention. If the oem titanium camo wasn't $1700, I'd buy it. But for a simple square, I cant bring myself to do that. The only thing that this lacks compared to the full factory model is bluetooth. But, tbh, I prefer MB6 anyways.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Beautiful square. I think the Ti set is overrated, and that's coming from someone with a mild nickel allergy 😅, but you said it's always intrigued you, this is probably the cheapest way to finally try one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess part of the appeal of a G Shock is the lightness. Don't get me wrong, one day I'll have a full metal G (even of it is an aftermarket AE kit), but if money is no object and the weightlessness of the G ethos is something to consider, titanium is the way to go

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll second Marcelo71, I think the lack of weight is part of what makes them great daily/beaters. At the end of the day, I could feel that I had a watch on my wrist but that never happened with either my 5600 or my 6900.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I went with Ti. It is significantly lighter. However, the camo pattern is a lot lighter than on the OEM Ti cammo G-Shock bezel and band. I have also put black paint in the letters. It looks better, but I can not find any pictures of it, after I painted it, right now.

Wait, I just found it. Here it is after being painted.

And here it is with a shiny metal case, I immediately realized that shiny isn't for me. I Got this before the cammo, but didn't wear it. It just was not me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Having converted two 5610s to titanium case/bracelet, that's what I'd recommend. Two questions to help you decide - how weight-sensitive are you? And how important (scarce) is money?

A genuine all-steel square will weigh in excess of 150 grams, nearly three times a resin square like you've just bought. That's too much for me, for a square. The ti will come in comfortably under 100 grams. Can't comment on aftermarket steel, haven't personally weighed any. But, steel is steel.

Does it make sense to spend more on the band/case than on the watch? Of course not! But, this is a hobby. indulge.

As you will have noted, any discussion of aftermarket bits will trigger some people. PM me if you'd like to know which brand to avoid.

Have fun!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Awesome watches, I have the standard one but I think it looks great and is perfect for the beach! Im always so pleased when the sunshine changes that solar reading to H ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone! I think Ti is the way to go. I’m not completely diggin the camo, but I found a brushed black combo that looks pretty sweet and will probably look even better with some dings and scratches.

It does seem silly to spend $150 on accessories for a $100 watch, but it still seems like a good value and, most importantly, a lot of fun 😁

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I wouldn't put a metal bracelet (steel or titanium) on a resin case watch that uses springbars.

There is a reason why CASIO uses a very different pin to attach their genuine metal bracelets on their products -- the tight fit and constant pressure inside a very tiny lug hole can result in the springbar ripping right through the case surrounding the module. I have seen many pictures of this happening (mostly on GA2100 but also on squares). Then you are left with pocket watch 🧐

But that said, if you are not rough with it it'll probably be fine. I'd still just save up and find a lightly used B5000 for a little more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't put a metal bracelet (steel or titanium) on a resin case watch that uses springbars.

There is a reason why CASIO uses a very different pin to attach their genuine metal bracelets on their products -- the tight fit and constant pressure inside a very tiny lug hole can result in the springbar ripping right through the case surrounding the module. I have seen many pictures of this happening (mostly on GA2100 but also on squares). Then you are left with pocket watch 🧐

But that said, if you are not rough with it it'll probably be fine. I'd still just save up and find a lightly used B5000 for a little more.
Duly noted; thank you. I’ve noticed that most of the metal bracelets have an “arm” that rests against the caseback for added support, similar to the stock resin strap, but I suppose this doesn’t completely eliminate the risk of “pocket-watching”. I may err on the side of caution and just upgrade the bezel first

·
Registered
590 Posts
I used a GW-B5600 as my donor and got the camo steel kit. It comes to 140g (4.9oz) on my scales with my probably slightly more than six and a half-ish inch wrists. I love it. I got the watch cheap (£53 as I recall) and got a stupidly good deal on the kit, £37 I think? Anyway, I love it. Love the way the bright blue metallic face pops against the nice camo pattern. Weight is no issue at all, sometimes even wear it in bed. I think it'll take you a loooooong time until it is dinged up enough for your tastes mind.

·
Registered
150 Posts

While a springbar ripping out of a resin case is absolutely possible, I think it would depend largely on how much weight is involved. That's another advantage of Ti over steel - less stress on the case for a given level of activity. Of course, if you wear your watch tighter than a blood pressure cuff, you are asking for that sort of trouble with a resin case. I do agree, though, that metal>resin. So my next Ti conversion will start with a B5000. (Hopefully, the factory Ti caseback fro the really expensive models will interchange with the B500's steel.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts