WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently Alon of DWATCH sent me his new Sting Ray dive watch. I received the brushed finish case with the black filled stainless steel bezel. This watch has the new "alternate" hand set that DWATCH is now offering. Dwatch also makes a black PVD version called the Black Ray. The watch came in a nicely finished white lacquered wood presentation box with black velvet lining. The very interesting factor about this company and their watches is the level of customization that you can create in each watch. Case finish, bezel finish, multiple dial colors, hands style, hands color and choice of straps are all selectable options on their web site.

Technical Specs:
• Depth rated to 1000m / 3300 ft
• Movement: High-grade, self-winding, Swiss ETA-2824
• Case: 316L stainless steel
• Automatic Helium Release Valve
• Case diameter: 46.5 mm without crown
• Dial diameter: 34 mm
• Overall height: 16.9 mm
• Lug width: 24 mm
• Lug to lug distance: 52 mm
• Bezel: 120 click unidirectional rotation, solid stainless steel.
• Crystal: 4.0 mm thick domed sapphire, Anti-reflective coated on the interior
• Bracelet: Not available at this time but in planning for the future
• Lume: C3 Super-LumiNova
• Limited edition, only 100 will be produced

Close examination of the watch shows a nice overall build quality. The large, domed sapphire crystal is beautiful and crystal clear, no pun intended, with an evenly applied AR coating to the interior. The satin brushed finishing on the case is executed nice and evenly and takes on a nice sheen as the light reflects on it's contoured surfaces. The bezel has a very firm yet smooth click action to it's rotation and aligns perfectly at the 12:00 position. The machined knurling on the sides of the bezel give it a good secure grip even with wet hands. The off-set crown at 4:00 is a nice design element to the DWATCH, it adds a bit of character visually as well as an element of comfort. This is a large watch and a crown at the typical 3:00 position would have dug into the back of the wrist. The lume on the dial hour markers and hands is C3 and lots of it, this thing glows, you lume guys will love this one.

The case on the DWATCH has an arching contour that fits to the wrist nicely. All surfaces and edges are nicely finished with no sharp edges or corners. The case back is relatively flat allowing it to hug the wrist and adds to wearable comfort. On the case back itself there is an etched Sting Ray graphic which is understated and tastefully done.

One thing that I have to mention is the dial and handset combination on this one. The bold hour markers and new alternate hands combine to make this one of the most legible watches out there. There is beauty in the simplicity of this combination and is executed very well in my opinion.

The DWATCH is supplied on a choice of rubber dive strap or a nylon Nato strap. One thing I would like to see is the option of a supplied bracelet. In talking with Alon he tells me he has been in working with a bracelet manufacturer and will be having a mesh bracelet available in the future.

OK, enough info, let's get to the photos:

After wearing the watch on the supplied dive strap for a couple of days I tried a variety of other straps and settled on a Modena strap with fold over deployment clasp. IMO I think the texture pattern on the band works well with the knurling of the bezel and crown.

Integrated helium valve

And of course the lume shot...incredible lume on this one.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
First Dwatch I really like. Thanks as always for the pics and review. This looks like a winner!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
First Dwatch I really like. Thanks as always for the pics and review. This looks like a winner!
Same here. The new hands are win!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is the first properly coherent combination of colours and styles for the Dwatch I have seen. To be honest, I have not really liked any of the others, in spite of the fact that there is much to like about the design and execution. In particular, I simply do not understand the logic of having an all black PVD bezel + insert and have felt that the watches we have seen with that bezel look very odd. This one on the other hand looks fantastic all round - in fact I would say the perfect combination of options available on Alon's site.

Martin

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Great review mate! Nice picks too! :-!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Great Pictures and review. I really like this combo and finish.
I saw Bill's DWATCH at a GTG and it is a big watch with some real presence.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Dave,

As usual, great photos and thanks for the review.
I am sure this will generate more interest in DWATCH for Alon.
I contacted him for some additional info. He responded quickly and is very customer service oriented.
Now if I can pull this off with my 6 1/2" wrist.............

Bill

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

I agree, this case, bezel, hands combo is the best looking setup.

Another unique feature is the "key chain" that is supplied with the watch. It is like a mini read-only flash drive that plugs into your USB port on your computer. It contains the instructions and warranty info.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Dave, great review, and as usual, fantastic pictures. These are probably the best pictures I've seen of the Dwatch, and they really showcase just what a nice piece this is. Looks very well made, and seems to have killer lume which is always welcome!!

If you get a chance, can you do a side by side case picture with the Trimix? The Dwatch case reminds me a lot of the Trimix, although it appears that the Dwatch might be a bit more contoured. A comparison picture would be great.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Very nice review. I like your case, dial, and hands combo better that some of the earlier versions i've seen. IMO, the brushed stainless steel case gives it more pop than the black PVD. Great pics!:-!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Very cool, I really like the color combo and design of the watch. That thing is huge though. It looks great on your wrists but a poor soul like myself with 6.5" wrists would get dwarfed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts