WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
My daughter just turned two years old, and at her party last week a doctor friend of ours came by wearing an 'analog' Frogman which I noticed almost immediately. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that it was a fake, but it did bother me a bit.

Now, a real MIRB Frogman goes on retail locally for almost $500, and I completely understand his hesitation at spending that much on a wristwatch (he's a young doctor, so he isn't exactly making a ton of money as yet). But since there are more affordable models out there that would still befit his stature as a professional, he really didn't have to settle for a counterfeit in the first place.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I am not looking forward to the day they can counterfit the module because they seem to have the resin parts down pretty good.

With all the G Shocks out there with rotted bezels and straps but with functional modules, I am surprised we don't see more Franken Shocks with real modules and aftermarket resin parts being sold as NOS. Or maybe there are and I just never paid attention.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm sick and tired of fakes being listed on ebay as G-shock when they clearly aren't. If you search for "G-shock" on ebay.co.uk there are literally hundreds of G7900 rip offs by an American seller you have to wade through. How do they get away calling them G's?!

Makes me mad :-|

·
Registered
533 Posts
How about this one.

Walking through the mall today the colors of this 'G Shock' display really caught my eye. I looked closer and here's the Orange Frog. The salesman ran over and said "G Shock, twenty dollars!!' I just took this pic and kept on going.:roll::-|<|<|

·
Registered
905 Posts
I tried to explain why there are so many "pirated" products on Ebay in the thread below:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=335476

I could provide further detail, but the bottom line is that it's not necessarily illegal to sell watches that look like watches manufactured by major manufacturers. In fact, major manufacturers (most notoriously Invicta) often sell watches that look uncannily like watches from other major manufacturers. And there is probably nothing illegal about it. It is incredibly difficult to protect intellectual property outside of North America, Western Europe and Japan. Even in such regions, watch designs receive little or no protection. The only possible exceptions may be watches like some Movado watches, some Miyake watches, etc.

I have never been to the Phillipines, but Bogey's anecdote is equally applicable to any country in Central America or South America. Authentic products (including G-Shocks) are often double or triple the price compared to U.S. prices. Meanwhile, "pirated" products are ubiquitous and inexpensive. Again, the pirated products are not necessarily illegal. And even if they were illegal, there is little or no enforcement of intellectual property rights.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Look a like is one thing but the use of trademarked names like Casio, G-Shock, Shock Resist, Frogman is a different story. The branding is the fuzzy division between homage and counterfit. You can't even use the phrase Marine Militare here at WUS unless it is in association with Panerai because their lawyers sent Ernie papers.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Look a like is one thing but the use of trademarked names like Casio, G-Shock, Shock Resist, Frogman is a different story.
You are assuming all of those phrases are trademarked. They may not be.

Even if they are trademarked, it makes zero difference in most of the world.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts