WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Looking for a new AUTOMATIC field watch. Have narrowed down my choice to a few. The list does vary quite broadly, but I would like to find as close to these tick boxes as possible:

* Black face / black case
* Day / date
* Non reflective sapphire
* Titanium

What I have found interesting (in no particular order):

Panzera Aqua Descent Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 8.54.39 PM.png

Avi-8 Flyboy Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 8.55.24 PM.png

Citizen Eco Drive BM8478-01L Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 8.56.49 PM.png

Fortis Spacematic Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 8.57.26 PM.png

Hamilton Field Kahki Titanium Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.00.43 PM.png

Christopher Ward C65 Trident Vintage Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.02.47 PM.png

Damasko DA 36 Black Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.04.23 PM.png

Lew & Huey Phantom Black Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.09.15 PM.png

Bremont U-2 DLC Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.11.16 PM.png

GPW Titanium Auto Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.15.59 PM.png

pity the day /date is not in an auto which is a must have : Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.14.50 PM.png

Seiko 5 SNZG17 Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.24.29 PM.jpg

If anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any of these, please let me know.

Of course I am very open to suggestions! ;)

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,610 Posts
Here would be my choices in order... the caveat being that I don't generally like DLC or otherwise black bodies... but these ones are still pretty darn cool :

Bremont
Damasko
Hamilton
Archimede

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Price is a little all over the board. I'd go in this order which happens to rank them based on price too.

Bremont
Demasko
Fortis

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Out of the options listed, I'd go Damasko. I have a DA38 (regular version, not black) and love it.

I owned the GPW shown and it's solid but the white seconds hand seemed out of place and I didn't care for the mercedes hour hand.

Also owned a Seiko SNZG, which is a great value but not comparable in quality to some of the other options.

I second soaking.fused's suggestion of the Archimede Outdoor Protect in black. I currently have the regular silver version and it's easy watch to wear daily.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Money aside, the nicest one made today in my opinion is the IWC Mark XVIII.

It does lack an in-house movement, and some won't like the date window placement, but it has the best pedigree and historical authenticity of any of the currently manufactured field watches. In particular, the IWC mark series can trace it's lineage all the way back to the British W.W.W watches, which basically defined our current notion of a field watch.

The only other currently manufactured watch I think is in it's league is the 38mm hamikton khaki mechanical, at least from a military pedigree perspective. It's a great watch, has an in-family movement, and good date window placement. But, it's a manual wind, just like most of the other the real deal military field watches, rather than an automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much platinumEX ! Yeah, I have just about settled on the Damasko. The Oris recommendation is really awesome too. I'm gonna try find one to look at.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Looks good on almost anything. I love the bracelet it comes on, as well as a brown leather or NATO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or, for another suggestion...

Oris BC3 Advanced Day Date (735-7641-4733BKFS)

View attachment 12443041 View attachment 12443043

Thanks again PlatinumEX !

I've decided to go with a BC3. It was a close call between the Damasko and Oris. However, my feeling is that the white used on the Damasko is a bit severe, where the Oris is more subtle on the eyes. I also don't really like the Damasko 12 being replaced with a big triangle.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 5.43.24 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thanks again PlatinumEX !

I've decided to go with a BC3. It was a close call between the Damasko and Oris. However, my feeling is that the white used on the Damasko is a bit severe, where the Oris is more subtle on the eyes. I also don't really like the Damasko 12 being replaced with a big triangle.

View attachment 12455889
Awesome! My pleasure. Be sure to post pics when it arrives!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts