WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wait is over, my watch is here...... :) Flieger Classic 40, no date, but with logo and custom rotor.

First impression is very good, fit and finish on the case and dial are excellent, basically on par with my Omega. The brushing is nearly flawless. The blue hands are beautiful. The AquaTerra has a much more complex dial, but that is a question of styling, not just level of finish. The Fl 23883 engraving on the side is nicely executed, just like the engraving on the custom rotor. The movement finish and refinement can't really be compared to the Omega 8500, but overall I'm highly satisfied with the movement finish for an ETA. My only minute complaint is the loud rotor, but I got used to it in like 10 seconds, so it's really not an issue, just a minor detail. Overall I'm really, really happy and more than satisfied, my expectations were exceeded by the reality without a question.

If anyone from Stowa is by chance reading this, THANK YOU a lot for the wonderful product and great communication and advice! I'll definitely be buying more watches from you in the future...

One interesting thing though....
I watched a bunch of online reviews and my packaging and lume are different than all of them, so apparently Stowa made some recent changes....

Gone seems to be the metal box, but I personally like the nice wooden one what supplanted it. My package didn't include a Stowa booklet/catalogue. Also, more importantly, now everything on the dial is lumed, including the minute markers, not just the hour markers.... :cool:

If you are interested in strap options, I started a discussion about strap sizes earlier, now I added some pictures...
Strap size

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Yeah, as you said Stowa did recently revamp their box setup. I was quite surprised in June when mine arrived diffrently than normal.

Also as a side note (I could be mistaken) but upon close inspection of the Jorg Schuaer signature on the box it looked like it may be handwritten. Cool to think the CEO actually took the time out of his day to sign each persons order.

And of course as always, another imaculate timepeiece made by Stowa! Gorgeous watch!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I REALLY like the new packaging. Those steel boxes, probably sourced cheaply from Asia (nothing wrong with that, even a 50k€ Patek Philippe does that), are just ugly. Hopefully the wood is locally sourced, that would be super geil. I wouldn't mind even less packaging, for example just the small wooden box.

Congrats on the watch!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I REALLY like the new packaging. Those steel boxes, probably sourced cheaply from Asia (nothing wrong with that, even a 50k€ Patek Philippe does that), are just ugly. Hopefully the wood is locally sourced, that would be super geil. I wouldn't mind even less packaging, for example just the small wooden box.

Congrats on the watch!
I fully agree, the wooden box is nice! My favorite part are the burnt edges of the (I assume) laser engraving.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That looks really nice! My Antea KS arrived in a similar box back in February. It's made of MDF, which is "wood" in the sense that it's made from sawdust. Still, more sensible than the metal case, which just gets chucked into a closet anyway.

Reactions: D-back

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

I have the Klassik but no logo, no date, and a hand winding movement. I originally bought the automatic, but after a short time (and LOVING the aesthetics of the watch) I decided I wanted something a touch closer to the original WWII pilot's watches, so I ended up buying the manual wind version and sold the automatic to a friend. Now I'm trying to convince another friend to take the plunge. He's been on the fence but I've told him he will NOT be disappointed in a Stowa flieger. I think one more time seeing mine in person and he may place the order.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congrats on the purchase!

I have the Klassik but no logo, no date, and a hand winding movement. I originally bought the automatic, but after a short time (and LOVING the aesthetics of the watch) I decided I wanted something a touch closer to the original WWII pilot's watches, so I ended up buying the manual wind version and sold the automatic to a friend. Now I'm trying to convince another friend to take the plunge. He's been on the fence but I've told him he will NOT be disappointed in a Stowa flieger. I think one more time seeing mine in person and he may place the order.
Thank you!

I initially wanted to get the watch exactly in your configuration, but the sentence engraved in the rotor has some personal significance to me and always planned to get an automatic watch with that on the rotor.....but I never found such a customization option at a reasonable price point. So after I discovered that Stowa offers this on the automatic, it was a no brainer.

With regards to the no logo dial, the amount of free real estate bothered me a little, but would still had it that way if not for Stowa's ingenious logo implementation...... it's not jumping at you, small and barely visible from any distance due to the silver color. To me a perfect middle ground.

One day though I plan to get a type B dial flieger exactly in your configuration.

EDIT: I've just checked the accuracy for today. In both of the first 2 days on the wrist, the watch gained exactly 3.5 seconds, which is of course a result I'm happy with.

Reactions: mightymiloquinn

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Congratulations, great watch and the personalized rotor just adds to it - I have a Schauer Kulisse Edition 10 with a personalized bridge in the hand wound movement.

If memory serves me well, the wooden boxes (no laser engraving) were first introduced with the 90th Anniversary pieces in 2017.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Congratulations on a very nice watch! So much fun getting a new watch delivered. And now all smiles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congrats! Personally i prefer the metal case box, but the added minute marker lume is really nice. Wear it in good health!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats! Personally i prefer the metal case box, but the added minute marker lume is really nice. Wear it in good health!
Thanks!

Yeah, I was really happy about the lume change....now that I'm thinking about the box, the metal might be better for traveling if you want to have it in the luggage, won't open accidentally etc, but the wooden one (even if it's only from sawdust) feels much more emotional and warm........anyway....who cares...no-one buys a watch for the box.... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the wait is over, my watch is here...... :) Flieger Classic 40, no date, but with logo and custom rotor.

First impression is very good, fit and finish on the case and dial are excellent, basically on par with my Omega. The brushing is nearly flawless. The blue hands are beautiful. The AquaTerra has a much more complex dial, but that is a question of styling, not just level of finish. The Fl 23883 engraving on the side is nicely executed, just like the engraving on the custom rotor. The movement finish and refinement can't really be compared to the Omega 8500, but overall I'm highly satisfied with the movement finish for an ETA. My only minute complaint is the loud rotor, but I got used to it in like 10 seconds, so it's really not an issue, just a minor detail. Overall I'm really, really happy and more than satisfied, my expectations were exceeded by the reality without a question.

If anyone from Stowa is by chance reading this, THANK YOU a lot for the wonderful product and great communication and advice! I'll definitely be buying more watches from you in the future...

One interesting thing though....
I watched a bunch of online reviews and my packaging and lume are different than all of them, so apparently Stowa made some recent changes....

Gone seems to be the metal box, but I personally like the nice wooden one what supplanted it. My package didn't include a Stowa booklet/catalogue. Also, more importantly, now everything on the dial is lumed, including the minute markers, not just the hour markers.... :cool:

If you are interested in strap options, I started a discussion about strap sizes earlier, now I added some pictures...
Strap size

View attachment 15479058 View attachment 15479060 View attachment 15479062 View attachment 15479063 View attachment 15479064 View attachment 15479065

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just received MY type B Flieger from Stowa - it's a shame they don't send out their book anymore - anyway the watch is looking really good. I do like how the dial is more unusual than the type A - very different from my other watches. Thought the short hour hand might be an issue but it's easy to get used to.
May treat myself to a Stowa Marine for Christmas 😁.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Congrats on the watch! I think their 40mm flieger is the best option out there. I have the 36 because it fits me better but I envy your 40. Mine has the lumed minute markers but came with a metal box this year, I guess the lume changed first. Really like the change to wood for the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts