WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my preordered Formex Essence 39 and it's an amazing watch. The finish is above anything I've seen in this price category. It's modern, beautiful, and so comfortable to wear but...

Usually I don't care how accurate the watch is but this one is COSC certified so I've been keeping an eye on it. It's been measuring at -9s a day when I log the time everyday and I thought it would improve with wear. Today I looked down at my watch and it was 2 minutes behind and it's only been 5 days since I've received it. So I set it on my Timegrapher and it's running -11s. I've tried fully winding the crown but the rate doesn't change.
So I've heard that you need to wear the watch for a few weeks for it to "break in" but hasn't it already been tested and regulated to be accurate?

Did I receive a dud or do I need to wait for it to break in a bit. What are your experiences with your COSC watches?

Note* I also have a Sinn 556i with the same movement but not chronometer grade and the rotor has a nice weight to it but the Formex rotor is skeletonized and looks super thin - it looks like it can barely make a full revolution without me really trying to get it to turn. The sinn will rotate like a top if I "shake" the watch. Was really hoping this would be the micro brand I would be truly impressed with..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yikes, I hope you contact Formex and they are able to rectify this issue for you. Maybe hit them up in a week if the watch is still running out of COSC spec. This is very concerning, as I am considering picking one of these up in the near future.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
When you put it on your timegrapher, did you measure and average the 5 standard positions, or just check one position? COSC rate is an average over 5 positions. Single, individual positions can run outside of that range so long as the average is in range. I can't recall COSC's positional variance requirement, but a Top grade Sellita is 15 spd (and METAS, which is stricter than COSC, is 12), so it's certainly possible to have a single position running +/-10 spd and still meet COSC.

·
Premium Member
42,686 Posts
Wear it for a few days and monitor it's accuracy. If still out of spec, I agree, contact Formex is your best bet.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
The FedEx guy must have drop-kicked it on to the front porch.

Considering its COSC and brand new I would contact Formex.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My Longines Record is a COSC chronometer and from day one was absolutely running at spec. In fact, It runs better than spec. I've had it on my wrist for two weeks and have not had to reset it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would have thought the cosc test itself was all the breaking in you need.
It's a bit like Montblanc Watches. They test them for 500 hours. That's a used watch by then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shame to hear about your experience, but thanks for sharing! Good to see some feedback on the watch as a potential buyer, hope you get sorted out!

·
Registered
248 Posts
That would be unacceptable. A COSC certified piece should and must run within specs. Otherwise what’s the point, right? Send it back!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Been thinking about getting one of these. What happened?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I waited a week and just checking the accuracy of the time over a few days it was really off. Must've been damaged during shipping. I reached out to Formex and sent it back to them. They fixed it and sent it back a week later - I was surprised how fast it came back. They didn't tell me what was wrong with it but it came back much more accurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts