WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get a thread started to help everyone get the most out of the new forum software. Hopefully the mods will sticky this thread for future reference.

If there's something you can't figure out, some function or feature you miss, or some hack you've discovered, share it here.

I'll start with some things I liked about the old software, and can't seem to find in the new system...

1. Is there a way to search within specific threads? I miss the "Search Thread" function from the old system.

2. Is there a way to pull up a list of who posted in a thread, with links to show all the posts from each person who posted? This is another thing I miss from the old system.

Those are the two biggest things I miss so far. Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
2. Is there a way to pull up a list of who posted in a thread, with links to show all the posts from each person who posted? This is another thing I miss from the old system.

I've only discovered #2. When in your profile or a thread you have posted on, click the user's name and a mini menu will pop up and the menu will have clickable links like replies and threads started by info.
Screenshot_20200802-111852_Chrome.jpg

Edit; this is on the phone or device. When on desktop mode you'll see this

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
1. Is there a way to search within specific threads? I miss the "Search Thread" function from the old system.

Those are the two biggest things I miss so far.
Google can do both and might be more efficient than the built-in search engine.

E.g. search for all posts mentioning Parnis in the Best of Ali-Express thread:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com/threads/best-of-ali-xpress.2636489 parnis
E.g. view all my posts:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com mougino

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
One effect of the new format is the resurrection of zombie threads. probably due to the "Recommended Reading" section below the last post recommending 8 year old threads.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I find it hard to search for a specific watch in the for sale section, so I just use watchrecon.com now instead. Doc, good idea for a thread.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I only use this on my phone and haven't really encountered any problems...yet!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Is anyone else unable to quote a post using Tapatalk (free version)? The quote option is there, but when the reply window opens the quoted post's text isn't.

Another "feature" since the update, is the messaging function is not supported in Tapatalk.

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Wait are you saying that the forum software can be hacked? ooooooh do tell.

·
Premium Member
38,931 Posts
Is anyone else unable to quote a post using Tapatalk (free version)? The quote option is there, but when the reply window opens the quoted post's text isn't.

Another "feature" since the update, is the messaging function is not supported in Tapatalk.
Both work for me in tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,931 Posts
Let's get a thread started to help everyone get the most out of the new forum software. Hopefully the mods will sticky this thread for future reference.

If there's something you can't figure out, some function or feature you miss, or some hack you've discovered, share it here.

I'll start with some things I liked about the old software, and can't seem to find in the new system...

Has this option only just been added?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've only discovered #2. When in your profile or a thread you have posted on, click the user's name and a mini menu will pop up and the menu will have clickable links like replies and threads started by info.
That's not what doc means.

In the old design you could click the number of replies in a thread and it would open a new message box with the number of replies per poster, for all posters, for that thread. Clicking that number would then open all the replies by a given poster in that given thread.

I miss this too.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
Not really a 'hack' but the 'zebra striping' pattern of the old site was actually functional to help your eye follow the same thread's information across the screen. With the white screen, it's just a blob of text with no guidelines so it's hard to see where one post ends and one begins, or when browsing threads to see the information on each one. The dark theme is not perfect, but it adds visual break lines. That's still not as good, but it's something.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the reply and data point @Bradjhomes

The weird thing is that the quote function works fine on all of the other forums I use with Tapatalk. A phone restart and uninstalling/reinstalling the app didn't fix the issue. Maybe it's an Android issue?

As for the unsupported messages, see the attached screenshot

Both of these issues only started after the new format.

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Google can do both and might be more efficient than the built-in search engine.

E.g. search for all posts mentioning Parnis in the Best of Ali-Express thread:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com/threads/best-of-ali-xpress.2636489 parnis
E.g. view all my posts:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com mougino
Is there a way to search specific threads for posts by a specific user though?

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone else finding that hitting "post reply" doesn't always work?

A lot of times, it seems all I get is this undulating set of bars in the upper right corner.

·
Vendor
25,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've just found that the search within discussion function doesn't turn up any results prior to the software switch. For any threads which were going on long before the switch, the search thread function is basically useless.

Example - this post by me, in a thread about the Helson Sharkmaster - Helson Sharkmaster 300

If you search that thread for my user name, or the term "Estoril", that post doesn't turn up in the search results, only the posts since the forum switch.

Also - @jmariorebelo is correct about what I meant. The old software had links embedded into the post-count when looking at a list of threads. Clicking the post-count number would open up a list of every user who posted in that thread, sorted by how many times they posted. Clicking on the numbers next to the names would pull up a list of all that users posts within that thread.

That function was pretty useful.

Reactions: jmariorebelo

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Anyone else finding that hitting "post reply" doesn't always work?

A lot of times, it seems all I get is this undulating set of bars in the upper right corner.

View attachment 15378563
Happens to me frequently. I'd say 50-60% of the time I have to hit "post reply" twice. I'm on a tablet, so the first time I hit it, it seems to only drop the keyboard down. Second time will actually post it. But, not always the case.

Better than a double post I guess.

Reactions: docvail

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Is there a way to search specific threads for posts by a specific user though?
Yes:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com/threads/helson-sharkmaster-300.4632649 docvail
By default Google shows me only one post, if I click at the bottom on "repeat the search with the omitted results included" I see all your posts from this topic.

You can combine it with other terms to filter the search further:
Code:
site:watchuseek.com/threads/helson-sharkmaster-300.4632649 docvail estoril
shows you the one post you described above...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts