WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many watches in my long old life and probably spent too much money on them. I have bought and sold two Omegas, a Seiko, a Jaeger LeCoultre, a Marcello and four Rolexes. (I still have the Sea-Dweller).
Recently I heard someone talking about G-Shock's and how tough, reliable and well designed they were. I have to say that I before then I never paid them much attention. So, while shopping in Target, I looked at a G100 and a GW1500A. I was immediately bitten by the G-Shock bug and walked out with the GW1500A.
Since then I have begun to see what my friend was talking about. This is a great watch: solar power, water resistant and atomic time. I realize that I've been missing out all these years on a great series of watches. Now I find myself scanning the net for information on these great watches. I found this forum and have read many interesting articles and reviews. Now my only problem will be not giving in the the G-Shock bug and buying another and another..

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Welcome! :-!

I've also had my share of Rolexes, Omegas and the like and still find much to appreciate in the G-SHOCK line.

We're a friendly lot here, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Good to have you here, Bernie. As you've discovered, G-Shocks can make you re-evaluate what you need and what you value in a watch.

Of course, it's nice to have one or two other watches as well, for when you fancy a bit of contrast.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have had many watches in my long old life and probably spent too much money on them. I have bought and sold two Omegas, a Seiko, a Jaeger LeCoultre, a Marcello and four Rolexes. (I still have the Sea-Dweller).
Recently I heard someone talking about G-Shock's and how tough, reliable and well designed they were. I have to say that I before then I never paid them much attention. So, while shopping in Target, I looked at a G100 and a GW1500A. I was immediately bitten by the G-Shock bug and walked out with the GW1500A.
Since then I have begun to see what my friend was talking about. This is a great watch: solar power, water resistant and atomic time. I realize that I've been missing out all these years on a great series of watches. Now I find myself scanning the net for information on these great watches. I found this forum and have read many interesting articles and reviews. Now my only problem will be not giving in the the G-Shock bug and buying another and another..
Don't worry, you will get addicted to G-Shocks in no time:-! But Rolexes and Omegas are much better investments, though they have lesser variations/functions yet carry as much value as jewelry|> Recently I saw an old guy wearing a Rolex Gold President (with bark finishing) which I cannot take my eyes off it the entire train journey and it looks pretty authentic:p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't worry, you will get addicted to G-Shocks in no time:-! But Rolexes and Omegas are much better investments, though they have lesser variations/functions yet carry as much value as jewelry|> Recently I saw an old guy wearing a Rolex Gold President (with bark finishing) which I cannot take my eyes off it the entire train journey and it looks pretty authentic:p
Wat's a guy with a Rolex Gold President Day Date doing on a MRT ride?
Funny. :-S

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wat's a guy with a Rolex Gold President Day Date doing on a MRT ride?
Funny. :-S
You know, there's this concept of opportunity costs:-D There are well-dressed ppl with lots of jewelry/flashy/branded accessories still taking mrt, and from what I know there's never a replicated Rolex President that has bark finishes on the gold bracelet

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Bernie,
Welcome to the world of G-Shocks. I've only had 2, but really like them. Funny story. I've had the same barber for well over 10 years now. In that time, I've worn many types of watches while getting a haircut. From Swatches, Tissot Divermatic, Seiko Landmaster, or Omega SMP. He has never commented on watches. A couple of months ago I wore my G-Shock GW-1600LVJ in. Immediately he noticed and asked what type of watch it was, etc. Yesterday, I go back in with my SMP on and he does not ask about that. I guess the G-Shocks just draw people in. Just seemed interesting.
...Eddie

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Bernie,
Welcome to the world of G-Shocks. I've only had 2, but really like them. Funny story. I've had the same barber for well over 10 years now. In that time, I've worn many types of watches while getting a haircut. From Swatches, Tissot Divermatic, Seiko Landmaster, or Omega SMP. He has never commented on watches. A couple of months ago I wore my G-Shock GW-1600LVJ in. Immediately he noticed and asked what type of watch it was, etc. Yesterday, I go back in with my SMP on and he does not ask about that. I guess the G-Shocks just draw people in. Just seemed interesting.
...Eddie
You are right, my Antmans do attract glances from young women and small children especially during public transportationB-) , though they are not really a good reflection of one's financial status compared to genuine Rolexes/Panerais/Pateks/etc. I have owned 2 automatic Swatches out of curiosity when I was a kid and I really hate wearing them even till now: they feel cheap

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Welcome. I'm a budget watch guy. I have a couple of SS divers. One of which is my daily wear for the office and social events and etc. I love the all around versatility as far as water resistance, durability and looks.....

Yet most days I just can't wait to get home and put on my G-2300. I do think it's rather ugly. However, when I consider the accuracy, durability and functionality, it forces me to ponder what I really like about the higher end and pricier watches.

For better or worse, as a guy who loves auto/divers... the G is my guilty pleasure.

--steve

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
welcome to the forum bernie,

I admit, that once I too had only eyes for mechanical watches. my favorite brands were omega, sinn and tag heuer. although I was very aware of g-shock's back then, I never cared about those watches for a second (well, for no quarzt watch in general actually). i can honestly say I am lucky that this period is over. today I keep asking myself why I did spend so much money on watches which were high inaccurate in comparison, not to mention the all useful features a g-shock makes a G.

if you are once infected with the "G" virus, there is no cure I'm afraid :-D but trust me, there are plenty "diseases" which are far worth...

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think I'm with you on this cal..45. I find myself inexplicably drawn to my G more and more over my diver. I think I'm being assimilated. .... can't ..break..free.. must ....warn... the others.... ;-)

I still think the G's are butt ugly compared the look of the stainless steel divers, though.

--steve

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I still think the G's are butt ugly compared the look of the stainless steel divers, though.

--steve
hi steve,

well there are for sure some butt ugly G's out there (frogmans for example :-X - I just can get used to the assymetrical design) but other than that I wouldn't say all G's are ugly. of course it is always a personal thing to find something ugly or beautyful, but to me this one for instance is a butt ugly watch:

now compare this picture to a "regular" and affordable diver watch like this:

or this:

and to a (at least for me) beautyful looking ana-digi g-shock like this:

and ask yourself once more, whether g-shocks are really so butt ugly compared to other brands? I don't think so, but thats just my opinion of course.....

regards, holger

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have not owned any Automatic watches for the past 13 years, the last one being my Seiko Vintage Diver, probably cos I need the most accurate timekeeping and winding can be a chore

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have not owned any Automatic watches for the past 13 years, the last one being my Seiko Vintage Diver, probably cos I need the most accurate timekeeping and winding can be a chore
Yup-I try to rotate mine on my Orbita Quattro, but it's usually the one you want to wear that isn't wound. It DOES get old...probably why the watch that has had the most wrist time over the past few years has been my Oakley Timebomb. It's an automatic movement that charges a battery for a quartz movement. So I can set it down for a week or two and it is still running! Very comfortable to wear also. |>

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
"Now my only problem will be not giving in the the G-Shock bug and buying another and another"

Good luck with that! The 1500 is a nice start. Cool looking watch for sure. You can check out some really great Casios and info here:
http://www.g-peopleland.com/

Also Amazon, Costco, Superchrono.com and the Private Sellers on this forum are great places to shop. Check out the Good Guys for reliable sellers (I have bought at least 5 Casios there-all great).

I, like you, have been through the gamut and still have Omegas, Zeniths, Breitlings...you name it, but This forum just is by far the most fun for me personally. Probably because the watches are the most fun also! Welcome Bernie! :-!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
and ask yourself once more, whether g-shocks are really so butt ugly compared to other brands? I don't think so, but thats just my opinion of course.....

regards, holger
Hi Holger,
I do agree that it's all a matter of preference. I just prefer the sleek metal lines of the SS divers for office and social occasions.
"Relatively butt ugly" might have been a better characterization. :rodekaart

kidding

--Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts