WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Steps and distance are atrocious on mine as well.

I'm done with this watch for now, putting it on the shelf and will only check from time to time if new firmware is pushed.

Maybe nobody cares, but to those who are considering buying, I've compiled a list of things to consider (not exhaustive). Cells/scores marked with an upper-right tick contain a comment made visible upon click/hover. See list: Google Sheets

It's a great looking watch, but it's become a source of irritation for me at this point. Everytime I look at it all I can think about is how poorly they've tested it. It seems they didn't care at all before pushing this to market. Wearing the GW-B5600 again feels like a relief in comparison.
i dont think ive ever been annoyed enough to make a spreadsheet of my grievances to further stew over them 😜
but going by your detailed whinge efforts, the gbx is exactly what its supposed to be, a blend between advance phone functions and basic watch functions of the gwb.
are you simply not wearing it out of spite now? it does everything the gwb does with a much better display and lets be real here, 99% of the time youre using it to tell the time, so thats gotta be a huge plus. the only thing the gwb has that the gbx doesnt is the hourly chime, so i guess on the days you want to annoy your coworkers you can wear that instead. problem solved 👍

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Super annoying fact: when changing the time manually, you cannot adjust the seconds.

So if your seconds are off, which they will be at some point (my experience with all G-Shocks is that they run fast), you must connect the watch to the Bluetooth phone app.

For most people buying this watch that probably won't be a big deal (since a majority of people will specifically buy this watch to use with their phone for the added features), but I have no interest in connecting it to my phone whatsoever.
Oh well, I guess I will have to hook up the app once a month to keep it accurate.

Other than that minor annoyance, this G is a home run!

"boys support boys"
Based on this and stian133’s post, I’m out. Had every intention of picking this one up but, no. Bought another DLC strap for my GMW-B5000 instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still waiting for these to be released by Casio UK - the longer I wait the more mixed reviews come. I guess it might be mid or end July at this stage.
I read the Google sheets review and I'm shocked that stian133 felt the legibility was mediocre compared to the gwb5600!! I find that incredible. That is certainly the primary driver for me. That MiP display. As for the step counter, I don't expect it to be super accurate. Rather a relative guide of how much movement I do per day. Relative only to any other day. Not my actual steps or Google fit etc. I think expectation is important. I don't expect a scientific instrument that will be as accurate as an in shoe GPS pedometer for 160 bucks.
In saying all that... Hurry up Casio UK. 😃

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a reply from Casio support regarding the email I sent them a few days ago. Their reply was anything but helpful.

Dear Mr. Karlsen:

Thank you for your email.

Regarding your question, we can inform you the following: "Counting Steps" and "Causes of Incorrect Step Count"
In other words, they just referenced the manual.

I replied that I had already read the manual in detail, and then included a link to this thread, starting on page 12, asking them to kindly read it and get back to me.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Still waiting for these to be released by Casio UK - the longer I wait the more mixed reviews come. I guess it might be mid or end July at this stage.
I read the Google sheets review and I'm shocked that stian133 felt the legibility was mediocre compared to the gwb5600!!
On that, he is ABSOLUTELY wrong. Not even close. I have no idea how anyone could even argue that. Yeah, sure there is stuff to gripe about, but that statement is preposterous.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On that, he is ABSOLUTELY wrong. Not even close. I have no idea how anyone could even argue that. Yeah, sure there is stuff to gripe about, but that statement is preposterous.
I guess I struck a nerve there. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Maybe things aren't all that black and white in the world, and maybe my eyes process things differently than yours. Either way, I'm glad you find the display excellent. I do too. I was just saying that for me personally, when it gets quite dark, I still find the positive display slightly more legible.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
In fact, the display is so good on it that when take pictures of it, it looks like I photoshopped it.

There is just no denying on how much better it is than any other standard display, STN or otherwise!

See UNedited pictures below; which were taken in natural sunlight, coming through my window, during the day, in my living room:

"boys support boys"

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I guess I struck a nerve there. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Maybe things aren't all that black and white in the world, and maybe my eyes process things differently than yours. Either way, I'm glad you find the display excellent. I do too. I was just saying that for me personally, when it gets quite dark, I still find the positive display slightly more legible.
Of course, a positive display is better in low-light. But the MIP certainly narrows the gap in the positive vs. negative debate.
As a general observation, which includes use throughout the day and into the evening, the MIP is just that much better overall.

Edit: one more thing I will add is that the MIP display is actually better than any positive in lighted conditions.

"boys support boys"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of course, a positive display is better in low-light. But the MIP certainly narrows the gap in the positive vs. negative debate.
As a general observation, which includes use throughout the day and into the evening, the MIP is just that much better overall.

Edit: one more thing I will add is that the MIP display is actually better than any positive in lighted conditions.

"boys support boys"
I agree 100%. In lighted conditions the MIP display is superior. My comment specifically referred to low light situations.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Ah, the old panties in a bunch comment. Glad to see I could bring the 6th grader out of you.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah, the old panties in a bunch comment. Glad to see I could bring the 6th grader out of you.
Just.. wow. I'm done with this forum. I'm speaking with Casio support now, and they are trying to identify the pedometer issue. If anyone is interested in hearing the results, feel free to PM me and I'll update you if and when any meaningful information comes to light. Beyond that, I'm unsubscribing to this thread.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Who is the hothouse flower now? Hahaha

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I did a short run/walk workout this morning. I estimated the distance to be 2.4-2.5 miles. The watch showed 2.31 miles at the end. But because I have it linked to Strava, it overlays the route from the phone to their maps, which show 2.48 miles, which is more what I expected. I’ll keep using it and see how it goes long term.

Otherwise, I really like it as a daily wear watch. So legible...OK, maybe not in low light, but it has a light. I can take or leave a lot of the features, like the tide graph (it did let me select the Hudson River at Albany, NY as my home port, but being at least 100 miles from the ocean, I’m not sure how necessary it is). And I turned off phone notifications. Even the pedometer...I don’t really know how to gauge the accuracy. I don’t think the iPhone is accurate, either, and I guess I don’t care that much. I get plenty of steps between work and other workouts, so it’s not like I am trying to hit a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
thread is too long to remember which/whom/what, but here are my thoughts:
1. dude wearing his gbx-100 to bed and wake up with 8000 steps: SIR! which hand you use to choke the chicken? it maybe the cause
2. dude saying it take 2 weeks for the accelerometer to be accurate: I can related to that with phone app. BUT, with the same shoes though. If I change shoes, which I have many, it either stops counting for 1 day or 2, or the counting is inaccurate.
3. Didnot know that so many dudes would buy a gshock for just the accelerometer feature though. Shouldn't a phone with an app is a much cheaper option? and did you know a passionate kiss burn 800 calories which equals to 1 mile of walking? talking about life priorities and pleasures

lolz

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
thread is too long to remember which/whom/what, but here are my thoughts:
1. dude wearing his gbx-100 to bed and wake up with 8000 steps: SIR! which hand you use to choke the chicken? it maybe the cause
2. dude saying it take 2 weeks for the accelerometer to be accurate: I can related to that with phone app. BUT, with the same shoes though. If I change shoes, which I have many, it either stops counting for 1 day or 2, or the counting is inaccurate.
3. Didnot know that so many dudes would buy a gshock for just the accelerometer feature though. Shouldn't a phone with an app is a much cheaper option? and did you know a passionate kiss burn 800 calories which equals to 1 mile of walking? talking about life priorities and pleasures

lolz
LMFAO

"boys support boys"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a short run/walk workout this morning. I estimated the distance to be 2.4-2.5 miles. The watch showed 2.31 miles at the end.
May I ask what cadence was reported and how many runs you’ve used with GPS connected?

I’m still seeing distance values that are consistently 1.6x off, but perhaps I just step rapidly and need to train it for a week.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
May I ask what cadence was reported and how many runs you’ve used with GPS connected?

I’m still seeing distance values that are consistently 1.6x off, but perhaps I just step rapidly and need to train it for a week.
This was my first workout with the watch. It shows 115 spm. This is not really something I ever look at, but for comparison my Coros Pace, a more dedicated running watch, showed 126 and 129 spm on my last two similar workouts.

Did you give the watch permission to use the phone’s location? I think this is necessary to access the GPS/mapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was my first workout with the watch. It shows 115 spm. This is not really something I ever look at, but for comparison my Coros Pace, a more dedicated running watch, showed 126 and 129 spm on my last two similar workouts.

Did you give the watch permission to use the phone’s location? I think this is necessary to access the GPS/mapping.
Thanks! This gives me hope. My watch is showing ~180 spm, so it might just need enough GPS data to convince it that, yes, I’m stepping quickly but, no, I’m not moving quickly.

My iPhone has reminded me that I’ve given the app full-time background permission for GPS, so that’s on ... but I prefer to run with as little as possible, so I haven’t taken the phone on more than two or three outings.

Maybe I should also check to see if I have an app that can verify my running cadence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My phone confirmed my cadence.

This morning, I set up my watch with my phone and GPS with an auto-lap setting of 0.5 miles. Much to my surprise, the alerts and laps were spot on —except the watch reports that each lap was 0.8 miles long, with paces to match. Ok. That convinces me that this is a bug. Off to find Casio support.

261 - 280 of 309 Posts