WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It reminds me more of a GP Laureato (Which I am becoming more and more a fan of) than a RO and the design is definitely a Nautilus imitator.
I don’t see the Laureato in it at all, except for the bracelet, which is a derivation of the Nautilus bracelet, so I'd hark back to that. However, I guess we all emphasis different things when we look at watches.

To me the bracelet is definitely Nautilus inspired, the case/bezel construction Royal Oak, and the dial distinctly Panerai-esque.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t see the Laureato in it at all, except for the bracelet, which is a derivation of the Nautilus bracelet, so I'd hark back to that. However, I guess we all emphasis different things when we look at watches.

To me the bracelet is definitely Nautilus inspired, the case/bezel construction Royal Oak, and the dial distinctly Panerai-esque.
The Laureato Bracelet precedes the Nautilus bracelet:)

In order of origin: Royal Oak > Laureato > Nautilus > Overseas (you have to count this when mentioning the other 2 because the holy trinity even though its not a Genta design)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The Laureato Bracelet precedes the Nautilus bracelet:)
Actually, it doesn’t. The original bracelet looked nothing like it does today, so the Nautilus had it first, and GP slowly "borrowed" the design over the years.

Photo credit: @Crown Comfort on WatchProSite. Five generations, from left to right.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
The case screws are also a core part of B&R's design language, as is the general package. It's still very much reminiscent of a cockpit instrument. It's not a bad looking watch at all, but I don't like the style. There's a LOT of extraneous metal making up that "instrumentation" design...I'd be a lot happier with it if the bezel was reduced by 80%, as long as it's gonna still be embedded in the square case. 40 mm square is one BIG watch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its odd to see a company known for certain design language go sideways like that. I prefer the core B&R designs.

I'm torn between happy to see a company try new directions and sad to see what is being universally called at minimum borrowed concepts.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There are a lot of watch manufacturers that forget the primary purpose of a watch is to tell the time.

The last thing that I want is to have to study the face and work out what time it is. For me, you should be able to glance at the watch to see what it is. Therefore I really like the clear and simple face of that B&R.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think they will sell a ton of these. Perhaps this will sate the demand for the real thing and force AP and RO to actually produce the watches. I think they have a hit on their hands.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they will sell a ton of these. Perhaps this will sate the demand for the real thing and force AP and RO to actually produce the watches. I think they have a hit on their hands.
Unfortunately I think its just a different buyer/market. I also think that the stalemate with AP/PP is helping Vacheron move the overseas as the third in the holy trinity. I actually believe it to be a better watch too... although the looks; as always, are subjective. The bracelet is far superior and the fact that you get a bracelet, 2 straps and a Geneve seal on the movement and case is a lot of objective value that you don't get in the PP/AP.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately I think its just a different buyer/market. I also think that the stalemate with AP/PP is helping Vacheron move the overseas as the third in the holy trinity. I actually believe it to be a better watch too... although the looks; as always, are subjective. The bracelet is far superior and the fact that you get a bracelet, 2 straps and a Geneve seal on the movement and case is a lot of objective value that you don't get in the PP/AP.
VO is a great watch but sadly the design isn't "unique" enough to be a great statement piece like the APRO or PPN. The latter two can be clocked from across the room by case profile alone (unless one is wearing a homage, which of course doesn't pass close inspection); the VO's design appears to be a simple round 3-hander from afar and its many thoughtful details can only be appreciated on close inspection.

The B+R on the other hand is just "Dad bod Genta." (Not my joke, saw it somewhere on the interwebs but thought it fit perfect.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts