WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Rustic and this is my first post! I posted on another forum but I haven't gotten much feedback, so I thought I'd try here! I am looking to build the perfect FrankenRolex because I like old vintage watches. It's not a "cherry" or "true" numbers-matching Rolex, it's just got all the elements I want - which is what a grail is after all, right? :)

I want a day-date Rolex from WHENEVER with a 40mm dial, fluted bezel, and all SS. I'm going to add a custom saddle-leather strap and an authentic Rolex burlwood dial - both of which I plan to acquire separately. YES I know it won't be a "real" Rolex, NO I don't care. So I was wondering what I should be looking for to get all the pieces to at least fit together. Are all Presidents 40mm with fluted bezels? Are all Air-Kings? Are either available in all SS? Will I just have to find a separate bezel? Essentially, I'm looking for something close to the following img, but, duh, not gold. Thanks for any help or suggestions! ;)

ROL 41131.jpg

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
Hello, and welcome to watchuseek.

Since your questions are Rolex specific, I think you might
get the best answers on the Rolex & Tudor forum,
found --> there.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, and welcome to watchuseek.

Since your questions are Rolex specific, I think you might
get the best answers on the Rolex & Tudor forum,
found --> there.

Thanks,
rationaltime
I thought there may be non rolex available options with the same exact appearance, since so many brands make rolex looking watches. But thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
It's probably do-able -- anything is with the right amount of money and time. You may want to check out the Seiko & Citizen forum also, there's quite a lot of "modding" going on there. You might be able to find a "modder" to do it for you.

I assume you're talking gen-you-wine Rolex parts here, and if so, that's probably going to cost you plenty. You might be better off finding a used Rolex with the case you're looking for, then finding a modder to put something together for you. The strap should be a fairly easy custom build by a strapmaker; there's a WUS strap forum also for that!

I have no idea where you'd get a Rolex wood face -- was there ever such a thing? Maybe you can have someone make a custom face for you out of wood... Good luck, I'd sure like to see the results some day!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definately want to go for a used Rolex- I think it will ad to the vintage look im going for. The burlwood dials are factory made but were only seen in a limited number of watches, as it became evident that the finish on the dial was too thin which caused cracking. It seems silly to say im not looking for pieces in mint condition but im totaly into the vintage and worn look.

Thank you for the tips :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
40mm dial will be a deal breaker for a vintage "Day/Date" Rolex.
36MM was the standard for the older watches.

Welcome to the forum.

T

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
We always welcome female members! My experience, sometimes sub forum can be a bit slow...Day-Date on leather isn't something I usually would agree that they marry well but the picture you show the combo works fine. It is fun to experiment and be unique about it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The problem is probably going to be two-fold, the size and that the Day-Date isn't available in SS. But maybe in the past it was? Would like to hear from someone who knows more about Rolex. Interesting idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts