WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just received a new Combat Sub 42mm. Right out of the box I was impressed with build quality. My previous divers have been Seiko, Orient, etc. I've heard people say the Glycine is OK quality, but not great. Maybe that's true when compared to Swiss watches that cost thousands. But here are a few observations:

Bracelet is fairly good, but a couple of the links were almost impossible to remove. I actually broke my bracelet tool trying to push the pins out. Once it was sized, it's very comfortable

Bezel action is good, clicks are solid and everything lines up perfectly.

The crown/stem really shines. Screwing and unscrewing the crown is a total joy. It's so smooth you can't feel the threads at all. When screwing the crown back down, it catches the threads perfectly and works amazingly well. The movement winds very smooth as well.

Speaking of the movement... it's the ETA 2824 which I know and love. My Hamilton Khaki has the same and runs consistently about +3 seconds per day. So far the Glycine seems to be running very fast, like almost a second per hour. I'll have to give it some time to break in as I've only worn it about 5 hours since it came out of the box now.

So far I'm very impressed with the quality of the watch. We'll keep an eye on the accuracy.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very cool, I have been eyeing that exact watch as a possible diver addition. Does it appear that the bracelet can be replaced with a different type of strap (leather, nato, etc)? Their site says the bracelet is "integrated" and I am not sure how they are using that term.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool, I have been eyeing that exact watch as a possible diver addition. Does it appear that the bracelet can be replaced with a different type of strap (leather, nato, etc)? Their site says the bracelet is "integrated" and I am not sure how they are using that term.
They just mean curved end links I think. The bracelet is clearly removable. Actually this watch works very well on NATO style straps, as the profile is so low that the extra height from a strap sitting under it doesn't make it too tall.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Where did you get this? Love the yellow hands and markers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They just mean curved end links I think. The bracelet is clearly removable. Actually this watch works very well on NATO style straps, as the profile is so low that the extra height from a strap sitting under it doesn't make it too tall.
Excellent, thank you for the info. It looks great on the bracelet, I was just not sure about committing to something that had to be on a bracelet.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you get this? Love the yellow hands and markers.
Believe it or not, this was through Massdrop. Short lived flash sale based on a certain number of committed orders to lock in a lower price. So I can't tell you who it actually came from as I bought it through the third party, Massdrop. But the warranty card is stamped with "authorized distributor" which was a nice surprise :) But this version is available on Amazon as well.

The yellow is an awesome contrast. And the dial is a cool smoky black, and the bezel looks black or grey depending on the lighting. I like the "battleship grey" hands as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the Combat Sub is the best value for the $ diver out there.
I'm starting to agree. The case dimensions, solid build and the crazy smooth crown/stem action make it feel much more expensive. Especially considering I got a crazy deal on Massdrop.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine just arrived, and I am having a heck of a time trying to resize the bracelet. Are they push pins, or screw? There appears to be a very small slot on some, but not all of the link pins, but too small for even my tiniest screwdriver. I tried driving 1 out in the direction indicated, but that just resulted in a bent pusher. :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine just arrived, and I am having a heck of a time trying to resize the bracelet. Are they push pins, or screw? There appears to be a very small slot on some, but not all of the link pins, but too small for even my tiniest screwdriver. I tried driving 1 out in the direction indicated, but that just resulted in a bent pusher. :(
My stock oyster style bracelet was push pins. One side looks like a small screw head but it's not. There are arrows on the inside of the links that tell you which way to push the pins out. I have a special stand with pin pushers and a hammer to remove the pins, and I bent 3 pushers trying to get these pins out. It was very difficult, some harder then others. But I got it done. Then changed the band anyway :)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts