WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
361 - 380 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
F

With DLC you cant see through it ..likely they just polished this front face. DLC is only a few microns think but def not a see though coating.
The TB is full DLC on the bezel, and it has shiny bits on it as well. Unless Casio is full on liying, I believe that they are able to create polished DLC bits.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The TB is full DLC on the bezel, and it has shiny bits on it as well. Unless Casio is full on liying, I believe that they are able to create polished DLC bits.
With the TB I assume they create a mixture of blasted finish and polished surfaces before the DLC coating is applied. DLC is very thin so when you apply it, you get whatever surface finish was already there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
no concern or issue here, its your site, you can call it whatever you like, im just saying call it what it is. if you think your readers are having problems understanding the basics maybe thats a topic for a future article?
It seems like all your criticism is a reaction to my response to Time4Play rather than the actual paragraph we were talking about.

"you can call it whatever you like, im just saying call it what it is."

Umm okay, I guess that makes sense.

Sorry if saying "I try to write for a general audience and not just G-Shock experts..." offended and triggered you. That doesn't mean I don't take experts and WUS members into consideration. I always do. It doesn't mean that I look down on my readers or think that they don't understand the basics or can't figure it out by the context. It just means that I am trying to provide clarity and be inclusive, not exclusive.

You don't need to turn everything I say into something negative that needs correcting. I say I am trying to provide clarity, you say I am "dumbing it down" and will confuse people. I say I am using two terms to describe two areas of a part because it is a unique circumstance involving two different surface treatments, you say "you should at least know the right terminology." I say I want all my readers to know what area of a part I am talking about, you say I think they are "having problems understanding the basics."

But yeah it's just a forum where we can shoot from the hip, so enjoy your soapbox.

·
Registered
Casio G-Shock DW-5600MS (on DW-5600E bezel and GW-5000 band)
2,361 Posts
i’m personally not upset at the IP. if you intend on wearing the watch daily i think the bezel IP looking a bit scuffed will add character to the watch. kind of like those battle worn mecha

if you are a collector then you probably won’t wear it that much anyway so just be careful and use a $50 gw5600 as a beater
Agreed on both points.

The Black IP on the front bezel getting scratched up due to constant wear will look awesome. I just hope it's the same light-colored DLC coating underneath that IP.

Most collectors don't wear limited edition G-Shocks. I personally know someone who collects the really rare pieces like the MR-G2000 Bruce Lee, Mastermind GWF-1000 Frogman (both versions), Murakami Frogman, MR-G Full Ti Frogman, Porter 5000, etc. He's never worn any of them -- All of the watches are untouched since the day he bought them. He wears a basic DW-5600E as a daily beater.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agreed on both points.

The Black IP on the front bezel getting scratched up due to constant wear will look awesome. I just hope it's the same light-colored DLC coating underneath that IP.

Most collectors don't wear limited edition G-Shocks. I personally know someone who collects the really rare pieces like the MR-G2000 Bruce Lee, Mastermind GWF-1000 Frogman (both versions), Murakami Frogman, MR-G Full Ti Frogman, Porter 5000, etc. He's never worn any of them -- All of the watches are untouched since the day he bought them. He wears a basic DW-5600E as a daily beater.
Whilst I understand the rationale, and it is ultimately his money to do as he pleases, I find it a bit of a shame. I have a few squares myself and there's a certain appreciation you can only get from wearing the watch itself and watching (excuse the pun) it age over time.

·
Registered
Casio G-Shock DW-5600MS (on DW-5600E bezel and GW-5000 band)
2,361 Posts
Whilst I understand the rationale, and it is ultimately his money to do as he pleases, I find it a bit of a shame. I have a few squares myself and there's a certain appreciation you can only get from wearing the watch itself and watching (excuse the pun) it age over time.
I did warn him though that the resin on some of his collection, like the Murakami and Mastermind Frogmans, will soon rot as it ages.

But he insisted that it won't be his problem since it will be the new owner's problem. He's just looking to sell the pieces for the prices he want.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
It seems like all your criticism is a reaction to my response to Time4Play rather than the actual paragraph we were talking about.

"you can call it whatever you like, im just saying call it what it is."

Umm okay, I guess that makes sense.

Sorry if saying "I try to write for a general audience and not just G-Shock experts..." offended and triggered you. That doesn't mean I don't take experts and WUS members into consideration. I always do. It doesn't mean that I look down on my readers or think that they don't understand the basics or can't figure it out by the context. It just means that I am trying to provide clarity and be inclusive, not exclusive.

You don't need to turn everything I say into something negative that needs correcting. I say I am trying to provide clarity, you say I am "dumbing it down" and will confuse people. I say I am using two terms to describe two areas of a part because it is a unique circumstance involving two different surface treatments, you say "you should at least know the right terminology." I say I want all my readers to know what area of a part I am talking about, you say I think they are "having problems understanding the basics."

But yeah it's just a forum where we can shoot from the hip, so enjoy your soapbox.
This is not the first time you and Tetsu had a back and forth.... Everyone is so passionate about G-Shocks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Reactions: Dxnnis and babyivan

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Agreed on both points.

You got to wear them some of the time... Daughter's wedding maybe?

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Agreed. I wouldn't enjoy getting LE g-shocks and then never wearing them. That just would not work for me. The joy for me comes in wearing them, not in thinking how much money I'll make on sales all while they sit inside their boxes, untouched.

I've worn every G I've ever owned, including limited ones like the Porter and a Ti Frog. If they are that limited, often you can get more money than you paid for them even if they are used if/when you sell - so IMO, that's a win-win.

·
Registered
342 Posts
GMWB5000TVA1 is on G-Shock U.S. now. Shows "Out of Stock" but I don't think it has gone on sale yet.

"Like the very first G-SHOCK, the GMWB5000TVA uses a robust screw-lock back case that ensures a tight seal. The bevels are mirror-finished and the entire watch is coated in diamond-like carbon (DLC) to enhance abrasion resistance."

·
Registered
52 Posts
as opposed to a negative display like every other basic and non basic square? 😂

theres also such thing as too much black, having a stark contrast for the digits separates them from the rest of the busyness

View attachment 16166327
View attachment 16166328
I like positive displays because of the legibility but honestly this one looks much much better with the neg display. Much more stealthy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GMWB5000TVA1 is on G-Shock U.S. now. Shows "Out of Stock" but I don't think it has gone on sale yet.

"Like the very first G-SHOCK, the GMWB5000TVA uses a robust screw-lock back case that ensures a tight seal. The bevels are mirror-finished and the entire watch is coated in diamond-like carbon (DLC) to enhance abrasion resistance."

Excellent I hope it has IP somewhere on the case so I can use the watch for 5 years and then demand a free titanium watch from casio on the premise of false advertising

·
Registered
52 Posts
Should be a simple mod if one was really serious about going that direction
Well yes, you could easily swap out the negative module from a regular b5000, but it certainly won't be me doing this mod because I am already invested in 1 Ti square and that is really all I want to spend on that specific model right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well yes, you could easily swap out the negative module from a regular b5000, but it certainly won't be me doing this mod because I am already invested in 1 Ti square and that is really all I want to spend on that specific model right now.
Just an idea. The module won't be an exact match either. I personally prefer the positive display anyway

·
Registered
9,357 Posts

Just something I'd like to point out after noticing this: the above description is also found on the page for the PB, and we can be pretty sure that the PB is not DLC coated everywhere, for $600. (so, we can assume this statement above for the TVA essentially carries no weight) I suspect someone at Casio is doing a copy and paste of text from another listing.

* To be clear - I think the TVA is DLC-coated everywhere. But I don't think that ref'd statement proves anything one way or the other.

The pic below was taken from the Tokyo Twilight model's page at gshock.com:

Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Circle Audio equipment

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just an idea. The module won't be an exact match either. I personally prefer the positive display anyway
au contraire mon friend, the modules between the stainless steel squares and the Ti squares are identical, you should be able to swap them out no problem or get a jeweller to do it for you.

361 - 380 of 578 Posts