WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,523 Posts

I have to admit that it looks impressive, like its price.

Owning already a TB-1 I find it hard to justify getting this one but....wow, it looks amazing.
Adding the pictures from the blog here though please check also the page to give them some credit.

View attachment 16122953

View attachment 16122954

View attachment 16122955

View attachment 16122956

View attachment 16122957

View attachment 16122958

It doesn't speak to me at all. I don't like that extra text everywhere. That's a good thing, I guess. I don't need to be dropping that kind of coin on another square.. ;)

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Yeah, I'm still waiting for @Time4Playnow to sell me his, like he did his PRX-8000. I think I'll be waiting a long time though. :p
You waiting a long time is very possible, Kubr1ck... ?

Rib Neck Jaw Human anatomy Bone

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Okay, after watching the video, I MUST HAVE it!!! ?

lol Nah, just kidding. ? ? ? Although I can see why many of you want it.

* Note to self: now, if I really do end up getting it one day, I'll have to 'keep it quiet' from the forum... ???

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: JustAbe and kubr1ck

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Casio took the cheap resin square from our youth, slapped in a new BT module, some stainless steel, titanium, sapphire, and plopped it in front of middle-aged men with disposable incomes. They tapped into our nostalgia and hooked us, and now they're slowly upping the ante every year because they know they have a captive audience. At the end of the day you're right, these watches aren't worth anywhere near what they're selling for. But trying to do a cost benefit analysis of luxury goods has always been futile. It is what it is.
In my case, there was no nostalgia piece as I never knew g-shocks in the '80s. (or '90s!) Turns out, I guess I'm still a sucker anyway! 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong, but where did you hear that they are not numbering them?
Numbering pieces is not something G-Shock does ordinarily, but from what I read, there was no mention one way or the other. I originally thought they did mention it, but misread the blog post (no thanks to Google translate).
I didn't hear a thing about this one. But throwing this out there - the Porter edition square was supposed to be limited to 500 pieces, but it is not numbered. (however, it was extreeeeeeeemely hard to get!!)

Reactions: babyivan

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Yeah, I don't remember the last time I heard that G-Shock actually numbered a piece. I believe it's been done before, but exceedingly rare.

Just to let you know, I'm second in line after @kubr1ck for your Porter
I had a GWF-1000 Ti Frog that was numbered (1 of 300, I think). That's the only g-shock I've ever had that was numbered.

Oh, and about the Porter... Just to let you know, the "line" is kinda worthless. You guys might want to seek out other forum members w/a Porter. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: babyivan

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Gotcha, so you're saying there's still chance :p
Sure! Very similar to Jim Carrey's "one in a million" chance in Dumb and Dumber. About the same. ?

Hahaha, but don't forget, you got two people in front of you :ROFLMAO:
Suddenly, this pic seems very appropriate to use, again.. ;)

Rib Neck Jaw Human anatomy Bone

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Asking prices are one thing but it's the actual sold price that matters. There are two on eBay with asking prices of $5,600 and $10,000 but they are not going to sell for that much. I think your estimate of $3,000 is probably about right. I checked sold auctions and there were none. Just a bunch of regular G-Shocks with spare parts from the Porter edition grafted on. Has anyone here sold a Porter edition? Have they really held their value?
Have not sold one, but have one. Can pretty much guarantee they will hold their value, and then some. Retail price in the U.S. was $1,200. But as I have no plans to sell mine, the point is moot in my case.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I am very curious why they would use DLC everywhere and then IP on the bezel. I honestly think it might be a mistake on the site...I mean it says DLC on the watch itself.
Yes, that would make no logical sense at all.

Someone earlier was wondering about the TCM camo version - it is full DLC.

It may already be pointed out but, judging by the official Casio's pic, bezel, at least, is DLC:
View attachment 16153054
Should be proof enough, right??

Reactions: AstroAtlantique

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Asked my AD, they say it’s a mix of IP and DLC. So there’s an IP coating somewhere on the watch.

Not a deal breaker for me.
ADs can be wrong, too. Not saying this one is. However, the bezel is marked DLC. Unless the bracelet is IP....but I doubt it, on a watch this expensive. :unsure:

Reactions: Mr.Jones82

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
On the Japanese site, for the TR-9 they say the case is gold IP coated... and with PB-6 they say purple case part

Most of us here would consider the word case to be used incorrectly in these instances. So when they say bezel for TVA-1, we cannot really take it as gospel.

Somebody needs to ask their AD to get confirmation. Not merely read a spec sheet but actually have a conversation with someone in G-Shock Japan who was involved in the manufacture. For $1650 it is the least they can do.
That's what I'd do. I suspect too many ADs would simply rely on a spec sheet without actually knowing if it's accurate or not. For a watch this expensive, it would be important for me to know details about the DLC finish, and the AD should be able to find that out. But since I am not planning to get this watch, I won't be asking.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Says the guy who thinks a dated looking positive display makes sense on a dark, futuristically designed square. :ROFLMAO:
I'm not going to get involved in this tit-for-tat EXCEPT to point you to this previous post, which is relevant to your post here...

It is not a "futuristically designed square."

The markings on the case are inspired by mech anime but the watch itself is not meant to be futuristic. Otherwise they wouldn't base it on a 1983 design (and an old LCD screen).

It's just a playful twist. Maybe Casio will create a new futuristic model based on mech in the future. This watch caters to the nostalgics not the tech fanatics.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
At this point, isn't the whole "Mecha" thing rather dated, almost nostalgic? Thus appealing to middle-aged watch enthusiasts (few teens can afford this.) The future isn't what it used to be.
You guys will probably get a good laugh at this, but I don't really know what the whole "mecha" thing even refers to! (& I am older than most of you) Guess I missed that entire period of American culture, somehow. ;) Is it the Transformer-thing? :unsure:

According to G-Shock Japan, the surface has a DLC processing and black ion plating (IP) for the “bezel part.”

(There is some confusion as to what this means exactly, so here’s our take: We believe that the band has a DLC coating, see the reference below, as well as the outer case, and that “bezel part” refers to the actual bezel around the display or part of it, and not the entire outer case like “bezel” sometimes refers to when it comes to resin G-Shock models. You can see that the color and texture of the bezel is different from the rest of the case, and that the rest of the case looks more like the band surface. It is possible that the whole outer case has DLC and that the black IP is applied on top of it on the bezel area, in order to create that contrasting look, but we cannot confirm this. There is a “Diamond Like Carbon Coating” label etched on the side of the case, which supports the idea that the whole case has DLC. Casio-intl.com lists “Black ion plated bezel” and “Diamond Like Coating” in the specs, so make of that what you will.)

Not a good idea to bet your life in something you're not 100% sure of.

Edit: Nice edit to "life savings." 🤣🤣
I'll throw in my 2 cents as a mostly disinterested observer. First I think we have a terminology problem. The above paragraph (from G-shock Japan?) says that the DLC label is "etched onto the side of the case." Ummm, no.... That is the removable (one-piece) bezel that has that etching. Underneath THAT is the case. It would not make much sense for the case to have DLC.

Based on the other post in which a member asked Casio USA about it and they responded, it seems clear (to me) that the entire band and bezel has a DLC finish. That is the only thing that, in my mind, makes sense here.

There was also another suggestion of the finish possibly having DLC, then IP on top of it. ???? Why would IP be put on top of DLC if DLC is what offers the scratch protection? Seems to me (I am no expert) that the DLC would be the exterior coating. No IP on top of it.

If I were getting this watch, I'd be comfortable at this point that the entire band and bezel has a DLC finish.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I think the translation of "case" from Japanese to English (Japanese translation gets skewed even with Google Translate sometimes due to different phonetics) is actually the "bezel".

If it's not the upper bezel (darker part) that's IP plated, then what part of the watch actually has the Black IP plating (as per G-Shock JP AND Casio Int'l sites)?
I don't know.......don't have a 'friggin clue. This hurts my brain for a Friday. I'm out. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

One question, for real, bec I don't know how this is actually done. Can a DLC finish be applied OVER IP plating? I wish I understood this technology better. Huh. Maybe I should have worked in the watch industry - then this wouldn't be so much of a mystery. 🤪

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
My advice is to shop around. There are a lot of ADs so contact all the ones you like and get the best price. If not try to get it from the official Casio site when it becomes available. Worst case scenario try to buy it from Japan using a proxy service.

Like all scalpers I hope he gets burned. If I were in his shoes I would try to sell them at a smaller mark-up so I don't get stuck with the watch for too long. Economically it's better to make a guaranteed 15% profit right now than a possible 20% in a few months, I think...
Agreed. I got a discount on my TCM when they were first released. I paid $1,350, and I think the retail was $1,600? (or $1,700, not sure) And I know the TB was available for even a bit less than that. (well below retail)

Plus there are a LOT of Casio authorized retailers. Plenty of competition. ;)

For the slightly more expensive GMW-B5000TCM-1, CASIO clearly specifies it's made out of Ti + DLC.

Why would the TVA be any different?
I really don't think it would be - especially since it (DLC) is PRINTED on the band and bezel. You can't get too much more obvious than that.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
The paragraph is from G-Central. Sometimes I refer to what you say should be the "bezel" as the "case" or "outer case," and when talking about the inner case, I usually say "inner case," because I try to write for a general audience and not just G-Shock experts. I thought I made this distinction clear in that paragraph, but apparently not. I know G-Shock fans and experts often take the bezel to mean the whole outer case, but not everyone might know that and others may think the bezel is just the part immediately surrounding the display, as that is the traditional terminology for non-G-Shock watches. The suggestion as to why the IP might have been applied on top of the DLC, was to create the contrasting look that the bezel has from the rest of the outer case. I think I mentioned this too. ("It is possible that the whole outer case has DLC and that the black IP is applied on top of it on the bezel area, in order to create that contrasting look, but we cannot confirm this.)

Casio also often says "case" to refer to the outer case.
"Size of case : 49.3×43.2×13mm" refers to outer case and not the inner case that you think "case" should refer to. This is an English-language site.
Clearly I should have read your other post more closely - apologies.

I called it a bezel simply because that's what pacparts calls it, and plus it's one piece. I understand why different ppl and groups use different names for those parts, but IMO it just adds confusion. ;)

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
That's okay. :giggle:

"Mecha" is a genre of Japanese animation (also known as anime) that involves robots. They come in all sizes and shapes but are often humanoid. They can be larger than a building or as tall as the average human. They can also be partly human (the android Mokoto from Ghost in the Shell, for example) or full robots (Astroboy). Shows such as Gundam, Macross (Robotech in the States), Power Rangers, Neon Genesis Evangelion all fall under the mecha genre. I think Transformers also fall under the mecha genre given that it is also based around robots that transform.

Anime featuring mecha reached the States as early as the 80's -- maybe earlier -- and gained popularity in the States during the 90's. I was introduced to mecha in the early 90's with Robotech and Gundam in the 2000's. It's more of a niche fandom but I like to think that as anime grew in popularity in the States, so too has mecha.

(Sources: Myself [a nerd], Wikipedia, and NYPL web site on "mecha").

As far as this watch goes, I have been lazily hunting for it LOL. It would be nice to have, but as the weeks passed, the burning desire to get one has faded. That said, that may change when I see folks posting them in WRUW. :ROFLMAO:
Appreciate the explanation. Yep, I deeeeeeeefinitely missed all of that. 🤣 But, the '90s was a busy time of life for me. No time for Anime. 😁🤣🤣

Truthfully, and contrary to my first impression, I think the watch looks kinda cool. IF it were a good deal less expensive, I might even consider it. But I can't drop that kind of coin on that right now, so.... that's one more for you guys to fight over. ;)🤣

1 - 20 of 66 Posts