WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
The clasp on the TVA seems to work a lot better than the ones on pretty much any of my other metal squares (SS or Ti), i.e. it's working like a clasp on a watch at this price point should work: easy latching and unlatching. Do you guys notice this as well or is this a fluke?
I don't have a TVA to compare but have noticed that the full metal clasps feel and work great when I'm wearing them but on the case cushions some models want to latch easily and others need some manipulation, raising the lower side of the clasp, to get it to latch. My D and TFG latch easy first time every time on the cushion but my TB and GD don't want to latch every time and need some work.

Because it never happens when I'm wearing it I hadn't given it much thought or a close look but I'm sure it's basically caused by the cushion having too much give to push the lower end of the bifold up so the pin catch.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The simple test: can you push the clasp closed against your wrist with one finger with no issues. I can't say this is the case with most of my other metal squares, which is kinda sad. The TVA though, no issues.
Oh no I've never had any issue with them working just fine when I'm wearing them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
OK so it seems like what I'm experiencing with the case cushions is what others are experiencing wearing the watch. I could see how that would be irritating as I don't like having to fiddle with it even though I don't take them on and off the cushions that often.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wonder if it isn't something that will ease with time with many cycles of the latch mechanism? I think if so it would be many many cycles, years of use. Or if the clasp springs could be softened?

It seems like there's only a few factors and essentially the second leg of the bi-fold isn't getting enough pressure on the wrist side to overcome the latch catch springs to allow it to shift and latch properly.

So the bi-fold needs more pressure (which is what a finger on the back of the clasp does, which is irritating) or the clasp needs less pressure to operate.

An easy test of the springs role in this would be to replace the clasp button housing (I'm making up terms, I'd be interested know the Casio term) between watches that work and don't work as desired.

The clasp button housing is very easy to remove using two toothpicks. With a toothpick wedged slightly behind the housing and another used to depress one of the clasp buttons at a time the whole housing comes out neatly. The buttons and springs are call captive and so far as I know any Ti models should be compatible and any SS models should be compatible. There's very slight differences in the Ti and SS model dimensions and I'm not sure if this is a difference and whether it would keep them from being swapped. Anyhow, that could help determine if the spring tension is the central issue.

If it were, I wonder if the springs tension couldn't be softened by binding them closed for some time? If you simply used something to hold the clasp buttons closed, tape, whatever, would that reduce their tension and allow one of these problematic claps to close effortlessly for any user?

·
Registered
461 Posts
So with the button housing swapped, we would expect the latching issue to reverse, with the D having issues and the TB latching fine. It didn't and my TB still doesn't like to latch on the cushion and the D still latches fine.
But with that in mind I found another difference, the pin height.
The pin on the TB is .2mm shorter, at 3.3mm, compared to the 3.5mm pin height on my D and TFG, which latch perfectly.
It seems to me this is just enough difference in the height as to require some additional pressure on the clasp to latch.
I wonder if you others would notice a similar difference in the height?
Mine latch fine on my wrist, so I won't be trying to soften or break in the springs on mine but that could still be an option to try.
Another thing I'd be curious about. With watches that don't want to latch, have you had someone else try it and noticed that they have the same issue? If not, does it mean we can blame your wrist? 😂 😅 Ahhh, I'm joking, obviously it should work regardless, but still would be something to note.

·
Registered
461 Posts
In closing the clasp on my TB I've found that it makes a difference where I press down on the clasp itself. A press about two thirds towards the hinge end closes it nicely. Pressing above the release buttons gets a bit fiddly. Pressing at the far end on the G-SHOCK logo doesn't really work at all.
Ahhh yeah that works to get my TB to latch on the cushion too!

@kubr1ck does it latch if you press more toward the middle of the clasp back, away from the logo?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I put mine on the B5000G-1 strap for a day and then realized that it loses most of its mecha character with the rubber strap. The bracelet is back on mine. Sorry I don't have any pictures with the rubber strap but blackeye's pictures are a good reference.
I've got a resin strap with gold buckle just for my TB but don't wear it on it much at all. The stock bracelet is so nice and I would like it to wear evenly with the rest of the watch.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You know something else struck me about the TVA. Of course the abundant text is inspired by sci-fi Gundam-like power armor, but I can't help but feel like the artists working on designs for those and similar series must have also been somewhat influenced by Casio watch design, at least inadvertently. I'd be so interested to know. Of course the text on the power armor is to make the design and function of the suits more convincing and deliberate. I can't imagine they weren't aware of Casio watches and seen the labeled features and functions.
So I feel like the TVA is inspired by art like Gundam, but also the art design of Gundam must also have been somewhat inspired by Casio.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gundam predates G-Shock. For me it was eyeopening seing concept and design art for G-Shock. It looks straight out of a manga. Check out this article with a G-Shock designer:
For me the TVA is not the most mecha G-Shock. There are so many other designs that scream sci-fi anime. The TVA is what the name actually describes, the armor used in video games. I see it more as prototype art come to life.
It predates G-Shock, it doesn't predate Casio, which has had a text rich approach to design from very early on.

Mid-70's
Watch Clock Measuring instrument Material property Gadget

·
Registered
461 Posts
It also helps a lot to have a block with a matching flathead to hold the far side.

Can't find a picture with better detail just now, but you can see my block with a bit holder in the background of this picture.

Also, if you want to order the perfect strap, it's the kolor release that's best.

Watch Gadget Clock Camera accessory Wrist

·
Registered
461 Posts
The entire bezel, bracelet, and case are DLC... The portions of the links and bezel that are polished are polished DLC. The pushers and screws are IP. I'd like to see a wear report on the TCF because that should be blue IP and wear differently. The polished front face of the TB bezel scratches and generally shows wear first is because the bezel front is most prone to wear and also polished. The reason you don't generally see wear on polished DLC like on the case of the GW-5000 is because it's protected by the bezel and facing the wrist.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Really? The DLC is laser etched, making the titanium shine through the DLC. It’s the same on the top of the bezel which is IP coated, not DLC. At first I thought it was bull that the top of the bezel was IP coated but it’s apparent IRL. Making the top of the bezel IP coated will result in the bezel showing wear much faster than the rest of the watch. If you look at beaten up TVAs, you’ll see this effect clearly. My guess is it’s a design choice since it’s possible to make glossy DLC finish.
The bezel edges and corners shown here are shiny, not worn. There are none of these in circulation that will have wear enough to show any significant amount of titanium anywhere.
First let me say, I think the sites references to IP are just incorrect and there's no way Casio is putting to surface treatments on there because there's no reason to. What about the links and clasp sections that are polished? Did they ion plate all those? I'm in serious doubt. DLC can certainly be applied to polished surfaces and worked afterward to take a high gloss reflection. There's lots of examples beyond this line of G-Shocks that have polished DLC. Contagiri polished DLC - Giuliano Mazzuoli watches Finishing — Orion Watches Finishing — Orion Watches
DLC and IP both mostly take up whatever finishing the original surface has. What I can say for sure is that the TB segments that are shiny get some additional polishing treatment because I've seen where links on new TBs were polished through to the titanium.
My feeling is that the polished top surface of the bezel shows wear is because it is polished and also the most exposed part of the watch.
What is the "Ion Plated Bezel" line in the specs of the US Casio site referring to? I'm not sure, I think nothing, I think it's literally a line pasted in from another watch. I like Casio but they just don't get all these things right every time. I've got a support case opened asking for confirmation of the surface treatment for the TB and TVA and we will see what they say but I wouldn't be surprised if they just refer back to the specs page.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Alright, so we heard back from Casio on the bezel treatment inquiry and in a way it was more informative and surprising than I expected! I asked them about the TB and TVA and they replied with one set of info. Is it the same for each?

Italics belong to our Casio support friend Adi so I take it they're using it for attribution for communication from another department.

================================================
Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting Casio America. Please see the following information down below.

The parts that are DLC processed and the parts that are IP processed are as follows.

・ The parts that are DLC processed
  - Bezel
- Back cover
- Band

・ The parts that are IP processed
  - Case
- Button
- Case-Band connection screw

Thank you for choosing Casio

Regards,
Adi
================================================

Just for clarity's sake I've asked for confirmation that this is the same for the TVA and TB. I believe it's the same for both.

So the case is IP coated, but the case back is DLC. That's surprising and interesting to me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Im not an expert, but speaking from my own experience I highly doubt that the bezel of the B5000TB is IP coated.

Here are a few pics of my own specimen. There is definitely some scratches on the bezel but they are exaggerated by the photo because I'm holding the watch at a specific angle so that the scratches catch the light.
Yeah I've always thought that the bezel and the rest of the bracelet was all DLC.

Yours is the only TB I've ever seen that's compatibly warn as mine!

·
Registered
461 Posts
For the newbie here, what do you mean by the case is protected?

The bezel protrudes more but there would be instances where you might hit the case at a strange angle.
The case back is DLC, the bezel is DLC, the case body itself is IP and there's hardly any of it exposed and that is fairly recessed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts