WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to watches/pocket watches, but I want to get my brother and sister-in-law a new pocket watch for their wedding. I was looking around on the internet and saw some really nice ones. Some of the ones I was looking at were (Brands) Miesterwerk, Bernex, and Woodford. I really like some of their designs or lack of design if you want to call it that. Want one that is very simple(plain case no etchings) and elegant(Roman Numerals) for example. I have about $1000 to spend and would perfer Sterling Silver. My problem is that I don't know if these brands are good or where to buy them for that matter. I just don't want to buy one and then it turns out to be a fake :( can you guys help me out and tell me if any of these brands are good and if these sites are legit? Thanks.

Greenwichpocketwatch
pocketwatchsite
sterlingengraved

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Hi,
I'm not really an expert in pocketwatches but these brands on the sites seems to me as no-name category except a few names that are probably revived recently,please correct me if I'm wrong...I could suggest you Tissot pocket watches for your budget, I bought one for a similar occassion and they are really nice...whatever you take,don't buy a quartz pocketwatch:)

Hey guys I'm new to watches/pocket watches, but I want to get my brother and sister-in-law a new pocket watch for their wedding. I was looking around on the internet and saw some really nice ones. Some of the ones I was looking at were (Brands) Miesterwerk, Bernex, and Woodford. I really like some of their designs or lack of design if you want to call it that. Want one that is very simple(plain case no etchings) and elegant(Roman Numerals) for example. I have about $1000 to spend and would perfer Sterling Silver. My problem is that I don't know if these brands are good or where to buy them for that matter. I just don't want to buy one and then it turns out to be a fake :( can you guys help me out and tell me if any of these brands are good and if these sites are legit? Thanks.

Greenwichpocketwatch
pocketwatchsite
sterlingengraved

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Collectors generally prefer mechanical watches. Non-collectors generally prefer quartz. Non-collectors generally don't hang out here :)

In that price range you should be able to get a nice watch. Most of the Swiss watches will use the same movement (mechanism inside) and will differ in the cases. Tissot does make some nice ones. I am sure others will have more suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Collectors generally prefer mechanical watches. Non-collectors generally prefer quartz. Non-collectors generally don't hang out here :)

In that price range you should be able to get a nice watch. Most of the Swiss watches will use the same movement (mechanism inside) and will differ in the cases. Tissot does make some nice ones. I am sure others will have more suggestions.
Thanks also for your time in replying. Even though I am not a collector, I do find the mechanical ones to be true work of art. I mean just look at it, it's so nice.. I will definitely look into Tissot brand and can't wait to get more suggestion from you experts. Who knows, I might start getting a few for myself and be hanging around here in the future :p thanks again all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
I'm not really an expert in pocketwatches but these brands on the sites seems to me as no-name category except a few names that are probably revived recently,please correct me if I'm wrong...I could suggest you Tissot pocket watches for your budget, I bought one for a similar occassion and they are really nice...whatever you take,don't buy a quartz pocketwatch:)
Thanks so much in taking your time to reply. Even if you aren't a expert on PWs, your opinion means a great deal to me.
I will definitely be looking into the Tissot brand and will be getting a mechanical. Even if you didn't tell me to get a mechanical I was going to get it. I just think quartz's should be on wrist watches, etc. Anyways, thanks again.:)

ps. I had to write this again even though this was the first one I reply back to.. Forgot to multi quote :(

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Thanks so much in taking your time to reply. Even if you aren't a expert on PWs, your opinion means a great deal to me.
I will definitely be looking into the Tissot brand and will be getting a mechanical. Even if you didn't tell me to get a mechanical I was going to get it. I just think quartz's should be on wrist watches, etc. Anyways, thanks again.:)

ps. I had to write this again even though this was the first one I reply back to.. Forgot to multi quote :(
You're welcome:) and once you decided for a PW,don't forget to post a pic here;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome:) and once you decided for a PW,don't forget to post a pic here;)
I finally found one that I think they will like.. It is a Tissot Savonnette mechanical, 17 jewels, .950 sterling silver pocket watch. Again thanks for the help and here is a pic of it :)
photo.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts