WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy folks.....I have been wanting to get into collecting Pocket Watches for some time. I have had some in the past...a couple of Elgins and Illinois. Hamiltons and such...but sadly most of what I ever had were either destroyed in fire or lost or stolen....

Before I get into vintage collecting I want an everyday carry peice...I'm somewhat eccentric and retrograde in dress and require my every day acrouterments to compliment my attire.

I'm looking for a manual wind pocket watch (railroad style) with a tried and true movement. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg right now, either. This is what I have decided on....

Your comments and suggestions will be very much appreciated....

http://www.ofrei.com/page406.html

Railroad Style Pocket Watch Gold Plated, Swiss Made

This Swiss made Style Railroad Watch, uses the Unitas 6497 movement. On the back side of the case is a etched design of a Steam Engine. This would be a great movement for someone just starting to learn about watches to practice with.FB-12001-YEL
$118.95</B>

S

·
0 Posts
Moved from Inquiries to our Vintage Watches & PW Forum where you probabaly get the answers you are searching for :)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Assuming you want to buy a brand new pocket watch this one is a pretty good choice. It's a solid movement and shock protected, although a bit small for my taste as a pocket watch.
Another possibility is a Russian made one like Molniya - lots of these available on Ebay.
However with the continued availability of classic brands like Elgin at low prices I personally would just buy a vintage American one. Even if you have to get it serviced it's still a good deal and the real deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Ray.....I have been out of the loop, pre se, for about thirty years...and when I was in the loop I was only a halfhearted pocket watch enthusiast...to say the least.

What I wanted was a servicable modern daily carry pocket watch...from a reputabe watch maker. I'm very hard on watches, and hesitate to even purchase a vintage watch for everyday carry. I'm a dog trainer by trade.

I will be buying vintage pocket watches but will only carry them when I'm not working....or they will just remain in my display.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well my uncle was a woodworker and cabinet maker and he wore my grandfather's Hamilton 992B every day without major incident. Also railroad engineers and brakemen carried pocket watches all the time 100 years ago, so pocket watches are not as fragile as one may think.
The Incabloc watches do offer a bit more protection against rough handling, it's true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And...my own grandfather was a West Virginia Coalminer who carried one every day of his life. I don't even know what brand it was, but it was huge. To my childs eyes it seemed the size of a coffee saucer. When he died in the seventies it ended up somewhere besides with my family...he had eleven children. The watch was sans encription or decorative filagree of any kind, silver in color if not metal. One could hear it ticking through his house, it was stem wound. I would assume it was from the 20s or 30s at least.

Coalminers are a rough lot...so I get your point, Ray.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
One of my grandfathers was a stationary engineer in a pumphouse and the other a horse carter. They both wore pocket watches every day. I still have one grandfather's 1893 Elgin and the other's 1901 Waltham. They work fine.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,199 Posts
About the only thing I have to add is that, if you are a little rough on your watches, a "hunter" might come in handier to protect the glass.

Good luck in your search!

Hartmut Richter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts