WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Joshua, just joined after lurking for a couple of weeks. All I can say is that I need cheaper hobbies! lol, Everytime I get a new one they get more and more expensive! Guns,knives,flashights and now watches!!!

Well anyways, I dont want to ask the same ole "what watch is the best for under 500" I have searched enough to see that question appear about everyday! I need to know if I got something like the new JSAR if it would look way too big on my little 6.5" wrists? Any personal experience with a watch of this size anyone? I am also stuck on what I would like to get, I like so many watches it has become very hard to make a decision. I really like the Sar/Jsar, ocean7 g-1,bernhardt watches....I just cant seem to pick a good one to start with? So anyways this is my current dilemna entering this addictive hobby! Thanks for looking and any help or suggestion is appreciated!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Welcome, Joshua! I think you've got some great choices there - Marathon, Ocean7, and Bernhard all offer great bang for the buck. If you respond with some more details, maybe we can help steer you in the right direction. For instance, is this for sports, casual, or office wear (or all of the above)? Is bright lume a high priority? Preference for quartz or automatic, etc.

As for the size on the wrist, a lot of that is subjective. I'd suggest measuring your wrist across the top to find the width of the flat area where a watch would sit. Then you can take that number and compare it to the lug-to-lug dimensions of various watches you are considering. As long as the lugs don't overhang the top of your wrist, you should be good to go. Although that's just my opinion, and I often see pics of people wearing watches with a huge overhang. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;-) I've never seen the JSAR in person, but it looks really huge. You may want to start with a slightly smaller watch to start out, then work your way up to the big guns. As you wear the big divers more and more, you'll find that what used to seem huge becomes just right after a while.

Good luck with the hunt, and my condolences to your bank account! :-d

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Welcome aboard, Joshua!|> I'd say buy the watch that "speaks" to you the most as your first purchase. The one you look a little longer at, and think a little more about. And if you made a mistake, no harm done. Flip it, and buy the next one on your list.;-)

And wrist size shouldn't be much of a problem. Lots of guys here wear big watches, irresepctive of their wrist size. It's mostly about attitude! Think big, and you can pull it off.:)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome Joshua,

Like lordsinclair said get it, if it don't work for you sell it, watches fly off the sales forums.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just don't get sucked up in keeping up with the Joneses.
The Seiko Monsters are among my favorite watches in my collection, but no where near the most expensive.
Hell, I get more comments about a $ 40.00 Vostok Neptune I wear from time to time than any other watch I own.
Like what you like and make no excuses.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have 6.5 wrists and the jsar is too big for me to consider. The sar would fit very nicely and be plenty big enough IMO. I would go try on an ecozilla or the biggest thing in the jewelry store and if you think you can pull it off, then maybe you could wear a jsar.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Great suggestions above. One more: the watch sale forum here is awesome. You can get absolutely killer deals and there are new ones going up for sale almost by the minute.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I'd stick to around 40-42mm if I were you.
Ppl in here will tell you a piepan on your wrist looks fine :-d
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help! Now about what kind of movement, it does'nt really matter, I would like an auto but I am not picky about quartz either. The lume should be decent is all I can say, I dont plan on staying up all night so that wont make too big a difference. I also want the wacth to have sapphire crystal. And for wear, I plan for the usual "desk diving" that most of you guys like to do! And as for which watch speaks to me....they all do! thats my problem!! I think I am leaning towards the sar or a gmt of some sort....or maybe I'll try and get a doxa.... and I really am ejoying it here, seems everyone is very friendly!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
perhaps start looking at Seiko's "SKX" series. Their standard divers are mostly in this line. Good products, good pricing as well, i think in the range of $100-500 or so. lots of color choices too. The Seiko Monster is in the SKX series, along with a lot of other watches you will see in this forum.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Welcome aboard, Joshua! I'd go big if I were you, then again I do have arms like a mountain gorilla and shovels for hands! :-d

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe the JSAR bezel diameter is about 47mm, which seems pretty big for me at least. My wrists are about 6.75" and when I tried on a 47mm diameter watch, it seemed way too big. If you're looking for it to really standout then it might be a good choice, but for a more subtle look, I'd stay around 42mm. I just got a Debaufre GMT Ocean-1 that is 42mm and I think it's the perfect size for me. I believe the Debaufre GMT Ocean-1 and the Ocean7 G-1 GMT are the same watch, just branded differently with a few stylistic changes. I really like the watch so far and was impressed with how it looked and felt in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts