WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first G-Shock from the Sharper Image in 1983. I was in College and thought it was a great watch. It lasted many years and finally gave way and was "Lost at Sea". Really, I was goofing around in the surf and it simply disappeared. So, I bought several different versions from a couple different retailers but never considered myself a "collector." Well, for the last 7 years I've been trading, well, let's just say, watches other than G-Shock.

This past Monday, I had a change of heart. Not sure what happened, but, I am now only interested in G-Shocks. I just bought the one in the photo today. Another one on Wednesday and a nice one from Seiya yesterday that is on the way.

Glad I stumbled onto this forum and, in doing so, stumbled upon G-Peopleland.

I'm looking forward to participating and collecting.

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I am wearing that exact model today, GW-330 isn't it? Yes, G's seem to be infectious and once you have more than one in your house they breed like rabbits and before you know it, you have like 12-15 or whatever! We look forward to new members as much as you look forward to meeting us.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
First G from the Sharper Image? Really? This is fairly interesting. Do you recall it being a catalog purchase - was there an ad in a SI catalog you saw - or did they have the retail stores by then? In 1983 you could have only purchased one or two models as the G-Shock had just come out. So it was either a DW-5000 or, if it was a Christmas season purchase, a WW-5100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to get the Sharper Image catalog in my dorm room and saw it in there. There was this really cool description about it and a couple decent photographs. The model was the DW-5000. I bought one of the 20th anniversary models from Seiya a few years ago, but, ended up giving it to a friend who was constantly admiring it.

Just as a side note, I also received that same year a Timberline knife catalog, which I still have by the way. Anyway, I wound up buying from one of the original owners of the company two knives. Just so happens they were the ones used for the photo shoot. Makes a cool display. How does this relate to the G-Shock? Well, if I had been a smart guy, I would have kept that Sharper Image catalog and bought two watches. One to wear and one to put away. How cool would that be to have that displayed!!!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Welcome Ispy, I know you'll have a great time here although it might not go easy on your bank account. I first posted here asking for information, and some hundreds of posts later, I am stuck and suddenly the owner of several new G-shocks that I love. Could you give us more info on the other 2 G's you bought? :-!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the other one I bought.

Thought I'd go one better and just post a couple photos. It is the G-2300. I like it very much but the strap is not as comfortable as the one I bought today, the GW-330A.

The Photo of the Gulfman is from Seiya's site.

Thanks for all the nice replies.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Welcome Ispy..:-!:-!:-!

regards,

Kirk M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts