WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just shy of 2 weeks, and I'm hitting the "pause" button on the Casio buying spree!. I got the ones that "called" to me. Eight of them. Well... there was a 9th watch... a GWB-5600BC-1B that got cancelled due to "out of stock."

Here's what I got:

1. GST-S300G-1A1 (G-Steel “black-out”)
2. PRW-50Y-1ACR (Pro Trek)
3. PRW-3100Y-1JF (Pro Trek)
4. GA800-1A
5. AWG-M100-1ACR
6. GWM5610-1
7. DW5600BB-1

8. GST-W300G-1A2JF (Japanese Domestic G-Steel)

How did I do? I think I got a nice variety. 🤓 I'm sure there will be more in the future. But, I dare say I got a good "starter pack." 😎 I call it my "insta-collection!"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how old are you? retirement age? life is not always black and white, aight?

lolz
j/k
I don't know what "retirement age" is. But, I'm a LONG way from retirement at age 56. :geek:

I have no interest in retiring. I like what I do, so that helps. :cool: Plus I've still got teenagers!

The "black and white" comment went over my head, I guess! But, we cool.. aight? ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice haul, you've chose well, I've owned a few of those.

I'd get a GW5000 and call it a day (for now)

Enjoy
Thanks. It seems there is a wide variety of GW5000 models. I really don't care about or for BlueTooth. In fact, I think I'd prefer not to have it. Solar and atomic are musts. I'm intrigued by the new "composite" band / bracelet, so that would be a plus. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
800 Posts
GW5000 is just solar/MB6, same exact module as your 5610.

It's got an cult like following here. Personally I'd skip it and get a GW-B5600 or GMW-B5000 (yes the bluetooth model). You can still enjoy do 95% of what the watch is cabable of without using the app or ever pairing it to your phone (I have 3 and I never used the app once).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
GW5000 is just solar/MB6, same exact module as your 5610.

It's got an cult like following here. Personally I'd skip it and get a GW-B5600 or GMW-B5000 (yes the bluetooth model).
So, what is the advantage of the 5000 over the 5610? The 5610 is solar-atomic. Thanks for indulging my noob questions.

·
Registered
800 Posts
From my perspective, almost everything.

• LCD viewing angle
• Louder beep alarm/signal
• 2 or 4 second backlight
• 5 programmable world times (and you can swap em with your home time, and dual time simultaneously)
• Home time viewable during stopwatch and CDT
• CDT untervals down to the second

Personal preference
• Larger case size (like a DW5600)
• LED backlight vs EL backlight
• No battery indicator

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From my perspective, almost everything.

• LCD viewing angle
• Louder beep alarm/signal
• 2 or 4 second backlight
• 5 programmable world times (and you can swap em with your home time, and dual time simultaneously)
• Home time viewable during stopwatch and CDT
• CDT untervals down to the second

Personal preference
• Larger case size (like a DW5600)
• LED backlight vs EL backlight
• No battery indicator
Roger that. Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice collection! I'd add an Oceanus in there for some shiny steel, but otherwise looks great!

·
Premium Member
8,275 Posts
Yeah, nice start! Very nice, for 2 weeks! 😉

You've barely scratched the surface of the G world though. Plenty of great Master of Gs out there, lots of COLORFUL options, and even metal options. (And btw, if you happen to get a watch with both Bluetooth and MB6, you don't have to use the BT at all if you don't want to. But personally, I like it)

Some to consider at some point: a GW-9400 Ranger, a GWG-1000 Mudmaster, a Frogman (I like the GWF-D1000), a GMW-B5000 (metal) square, and one of the Aviation-style Gs. And explore other squares too. Plenty of great ones out there.

Enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't get it to be honest. Why would you buy 8 watches in 2 weeks, all from the same brand and many seemingly very similar? It's not that any of them are bad watches, I just don't understand the speedy accumulation of this combination.

Personally I'd have the one on the right hand side of the top row, and the second from the right on the second row.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't get it to be honest. Why would you buy 8 watches in 2 weeks, all from the same brand and many seemingly very similar? It's not that any of them are bad watches, I just don't understand the speedy accumulation of this combination.

Personally I'd have the one on the right hand side of the top row, and the second from the right on the second row.
Fair question.

I honestly planned to get ONE. Really! LOL! My only working watch, a Rolex Yachtmaster, quit working a couple of months ago. I was going to delay sending it in for service because of the cost and I just didn't feel like doing that right now. I got tired of having to grab my phone to see the time / date. So, I thought, "I'll just get a cheap Casio to tide me over. Something I can wear and tell the time and date at a glance." I went online and started looking for a "cheap Casio." I had no idea of the rabbit hole I was about to enter.

It went like this... Ooh, I like that one. Ooh, that one is cool, too. Oh, I like that other one! Wow, check this one out, too! And, at these prices, I can get more than one.

Then I joined some Casio watch groups on Facebook and this forum. Ha! Like I said... I had no idea about the rabbit hole.

So, why so many so quickly? Short answer: Why not??

Longer answer: Because it's FUN. Honestly, I didn't know that Casio was such a prolific watch company. I knew they were BIG. But, I didn't know about the prolific part. They make so many fun "flavors." I knew they were reliable, inexpensive watches. But, I didn't know they made such a WIDE RANGE of watches! Wow. There's something for everyone. There are many things for everyone, as I found out! LOL!

So, I could get my Rolex fixed for $750 and get it back and be pleased to have it in working order again. Simply pleased. By that point, I will have spent about $1500 on just SERVICE for that Rolex. Hmmmm.... Or... I could get a bunch of fun NEW watches and have a ball with it.

I'll say this, too.... This journey into the Casio rabbit hole has been a MOST WELCOME distraction from all the **** going on in our world. It distracted me from all the bad news bombarding us. It has been a great stress-reliever. For this time, I've not engaged in social media discussions about COVID and politics. And, man... that's been NICE.

Well, I'm glad I got two that meet your approval. ;) Just kidding. I like'em all. I especially like the two Pro Treks, the G-Steels, and the 5610 square. I'm definitely now spoiled with solar and atomic. The tech is pretty amazing, especially at the price points.

PS... Several years ago, I did the same thing with Spyderco knives. Dove deep into that pool and ended up with about 50 of them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 129 Posts