WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'd enjoy hearing some opinions from the g-square guys on these possible choices:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think I've said my piece on those watches. You can't go wrong with either, they are great -- I own both! Five years ago I'd have said some of the best options out there for a
3159 module watch, and in a way they still are. But you already own a 5610, if you need another square to badly (ooh like I'm one to talk) just get a B5000/B5600.

A few things to note:
• They fit the wrist quite differently. As you probably know (because you own a 5600 and 5610 already), the 5610 is smaller.
The GW5000 fits more like the larger DW5600, but even bigger because the screwback pushes the head a bit farther off your wrist.
• The combi bracelet on the 5610BC is super nice in my opinion, even better than the new ones on the B5600BC.
• The resin on the GW5600 is some of the best, you can swap the band/bracelet between these two, but not the bezels.

It distracted me from all the bad news bombarding us. It has been a great stress-reliever.
I can relate. That's a big part of why I got back into this hobby in the last several months. I still have an ear on current events, but I need a break for a small chunk of the day. I actually find browsing ebay hypnotic, almost meditative. I do it on and off for other hobbies too not, even to buy all that often -- it's more like browsing artwork in a digital museum for me (mixed with a little bit of math to see prices, etc).

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'd enjoy hearing some opinions from the g-square guys on these possible choices:

View attachment 15371937
I have both. Seems like you're a sucker for Black G's (just like me)

the Negative display on the 5610 can a little hard to read at times which is why I dont wear mine all that often but overall it's one of the best looking squares IMO

The GW5000 is a forum favourite for good reason. Same module as the 5610 but Its made in Japan exclusively and the overall build quality is a step up from the regular non metal squares. It has a full stainless steel inner case under the bezel (standard models have a plastic case.) and a much softer supple resin band.

It's noticeably heavier and a touch thicker as a result but feels every bit the premium watch as it's price tag suggests. There's a dedicated GW5000 thread, some great pics there.

Bottom line: Both are Classics!

I'd start with the GW as you already have the M5610 in a different colour, but if your wallet (and your Mrs) allows for both then why not.

There's also the S5600J...Ok ill stop now haha.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

View attachment 15371937
I'm a square dude and yes they're both good watches and I think enough has been said by other posters for you to make a decision...but why do you keep buying black watches???? Put some color into your life or add some metal or cool LEs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Awesome insta-collection!

But, definitely a good idea hitting pause for a little while. Not because I'm advocating that you should have only that many G-Shocks, but because I can pretty much guarantee that:

(1) your G-Shock taste will go through multiple phases before you settle down with a balanced collection - eg when I first started collecting, I bought about 8 or more squares in the space of a few months, only to cull that down to 2 (one of which is a GW-5000, which you have to wear to appreciate, I reckon); and

(2) the world of G-Shock (as T4P alluded to) is almost overwhelmingly huge, and you'll feel the siren call constantly, particularly on this forum - I've found that it's more enjoyable settling in for a long ride (in retrospect this is a similar point to #1 haha).

That said, do what makes you happy! That's what this hobby is all about. At the end of the day, even a single watch is arguably redundant, given we carry our phones everywhere.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
My first G-Shock was the 5000, and it remains my favorite G-Shock. Love how it feels on the wrist and its monochrome design. I would not recommend it early on though. See how you enjoy your squares and see if you’d like the more premium squares. As others have mentioned, your preferences in G-Shocks may change.

As a someone who’s been in all sorts of phases, such as the buy many in a week or so stage, maybe take some time to enjoy your watches and research new ones. Read reviews and watch videos.

I found that I flipped a lot of the watches I bought on impulse, which is fine if you enjoy the chase.

Still, from personal experience, it does get annoying putting up all the sales ads and dealing with low ballers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,275 Posts
Fair question.

I honestly planned to get ONE. Really! LOL! My only working watch, a Rolex Yachtmaster, quit working a couple of months ago. I was going to delay sending it in for service because of the cost and I just didn't feel like doing that right now. I got tired of having to grab my phone to see the time / date. So, I thought, "I'll just get a cheap Casio to tide me over. Something I can wear and tell the time and date at a glance." I went online and started looking for a "cheap Casio." I had no idea of the rabbit hole I was about to enter.

It went like this... Ooh, I like that one. Ooh, that one is cool, too. Oh, I like that other one! Wow, check this one out, too! And, at these prices, I can get more than one.

Then I joined some Casio watch groups on Facebook and this forum. Ha! Like I said... I had no idea about the rabbit hole.

So, why so many so quickly? Short answer: Why not??

Longer answer: Because it's FUN. Honestly, I didn't know that Casio was such a prolific watch company. I knew they were BIG. But, I didn't know about the prolific part. They make so many fun "flavors." I knew they were reliable, inexpensive watches. But, I didn't know they made such a WIDE RANGE of watches! Wow. There's something for everyone. There are many things for everyone, as I found out! LOL!

So, I could get my Rolex fixed for $750 and get it back and be pleased to have it in working order again. Simply pleased. By that point, I will have spent about $1500 on just SERVICE for that Rolex. Hmmmm.... Or... I could get a bunch of fun NEW watches and have a ball with it.

I'll say this, too.... This journey into the Casio rabbit hole has been a MOST WELCOME distraction from all the **** going on in our world. It distracted me from all the bad news bombarding us. It has been a great stress-reliever. For this time, I've not engaged in social media discussions about COVID and politics. And, man... that's been NICE.

Well, I'm glad I got two that meet your approval. ;) Just kidding. I like'em all. I especially like the two Pro Treks, the G-Steels, and the 5610 square. I'm definitely now spoiled with solar and atomic. The tech is pretty amazing, especially at the price points.

PS... Several years ago, I did the same thing with Spyderco knives. Dove deep into that pool and ended up with about 50 of them.
Nice post. Of course, you don't have to explain or justify your purchases to us. When it comes to Casios, believe me, we KNOW why. I'd recommend checking out the daily WRUW threads here, and soon you'll have a whole new appreciation for the breadth of what Casio produces. When I came to this forum in 2011, I don't think I had ever heard of a G-shock Frogman. Little did I know, that can be a rabbit hole ALL on its own! (this is true for many of the g-shock models, which is why a lot of us own more than one version of the same model). Some Gs are "limited edition," and can get very expensive for that reason alone.

Speaking of G-shock tech... FYI - Casio makes Gs and other Casios with varying types of time-sync technology. You'll find Multiband 6, Bluetooth, and GPS. Some watches use one of those methods, some have two available, and some have all 3 (primarily Oceanus, I think). Aside from that, "sensors" are another big tech feature of g-shocks and Protreks. Most have 3 "ABC" sensors. Some are different, like the D1000 Frog that has temperature, bearing (compass), and pressure (water depth). Then, you'll find varieties of case and band materials. Only a small number of Gs have fully metal cases. GW-5000 and Frogmans come to mind. Most of those are stainless steel. Some Frogs are Titanium. Some Gs and Protreks have sapphire crystals. There are also variations in band type and materials - "combi" bracelets, for ex, some of which have very hard plastic exteriors with metal parts inside. Check out the MR-G line for the top-of-the-line Gs (& they get crazy expensive too). At the other end, the "entry-level" G is something like the classic DW-5600E, for about $40, which btw is one of the watches certified for space flight by NASA. This concludes this mini-tutorial. 😂😂

Still picking my jaw up off the table at your comment about 50 Spyderco knives!! 😲 FIFTY!! (says the guy with 60+ G-shocks... 😂) I got my first Spyderco (okay, my first TWO) recently, but unlike you, I didn't jump into the pool. Let's say I waded into the shallow end. (got a PM2 w/Spyderedge blade, and a Dragonfly 2 Salt with yellow handle)

Never owned a Casio but enjoy looking at them!
Well...............it seems like now would be a good time to be adventurous and actually get one! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,762 Posts
This thread is awesome and congrats on the instant collection, OP. I’ll second the GW-5000 recommendations. It’s my favorite G and while dozens of Gs, if not hundreds, have come and gone, the GW-5000 has been all over the world with me and will never go away. Premium build quality including the screw back and upgraded rubber strap along with classic looks makes it a home run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Still picking my jaw up off the table at your comment about 50 Spyderco knives!! 😲 FIFTY!! (says the guy with 60+ G-shocks... 😂) I got my first Spyderco (okay, my first TWO) recently, but unlike you, I didn't jump into the pool. Let's say I waded into the shallow end. (got a PM2 w/Spyderedge blade, and a Dragonfly 2 Salt with yellow handle)
Great post about the Casio spectrum. Thanks! Yeah... I've just scratched the surface, it seems. It sure is fun.

The Spyderco PM2 is one of my favorites. Got five of those, I think. Spyderco does the same thing as Casio (which is brilliant). They also have special limited editions... different scales... different steels... etc. It's a another rabbit hole.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts