WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If the GW-5000U has the same look (color scheme of the crystal) as the original DW-5000 then I am interested. I hope it has a non DLC case (like the original DW-5600C)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I have some pictures, here you go:
View attachment 15960846 View attachment 15960847 View attachment 15960848
Something to note is that it says LT instead of R.EL on the LCD. And it says LIGHT instead of EL BACK LIGHT on the frame. We can guess that the module has changed to a different type of light, but that is not confirmed.

For me most interesting is the European model GW-5000U. Because GW-5000 is not currently offered in Europe. Good news.
Well that is a super disappointment. I was hoping for a GW-5000 that had a crystal that make it look like a DW-5600C or at the least a GW-5000 with the crystal of the GWM-5610. There is no point in spending money on that one over the regular GW-5000.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I noticed a discontinued badge on the GW-5000 on Chino Japan about a week ago. I was thinking maybe I should grab one, but if the new one looks as good and is really an upgrade, probably no need to rush.

View attachment 15961808
I would not use Chino as a barometer for if the GW-5000 is discontinued. He sometimes marks watches he decides not to sell anymore as discontinued. I asked Seiya about 3 days ago if the GW-5000 was discontinued as he was sold out. He said no it was not discontinued and that he was getting more in shortly. Sure enough last night i got an email saying they were now in.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Other nifty stuff: long press of the mode change button (1 sec or more) will return to the main time display from any mode. Even the stopwatch will indeed show the current time also after one hour has passed, and it just switches from minutes-seconds-hundredths to displaying hours-minutes-seconds, on the fly, keeping the current time visible in the small display. This is really great :p !

Also, you can switch the date format between MM DD and DD MM !

Wahhh, basically there's no other way to go about this, I will need to get a GW-5000 like this.
i am glad that the new watch has the features you are looking for. I never knew how much folks wanted those features.As an American, the date is perfect for me. Plus the lack of time showing when using other features never bothered me.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
So will this watch be available in the USA? Probably not as Casio USA is a very stupid branch of Casio.

Casio USA should be smart enough to realize there is a huge market for G-Shocks. They sold out quickly of all the $1000 Frogs (RN Frog, Rainbow Toad Frog etc) they offered here.

There would be a big market for the GW-5000 here.

As for being made in Japan or somewhere else, I am not concerned with where it is made. I bought the GW-5000 because it was a cool watch that pays homage to the 1980's-early 1990's squares with the metal case topped by resin and not where it was made.

The classic square G-Shocks are like Nike Air max 90 shoes (always in style), So whether it is made in Thailand, China, japan or South Korea, the watch is still cool and I would buy it.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Most of the new features on this watch are things i dont care about. However i will probably end up buying one anyway.
Does anybody know if they changed the size of the watch? I would love to be able to use the spare GW-5000 straps and bezels i already own.

i wish they had made it a titanium case with a rubber strap and bezel or at least got rid of the dlc coating (which makes the case back sticky)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Will this GW-5000U be sold in the USA? That might be worth waiting for it to drop here in the good ole US of A instead of buying it from overseas.

However I also have no problem buying it overseas if the prices is better. The fact the GW-5000 was a JDM watch was not the reason I bought the GW-5000. I bought it because it was a square that had a metal case with a rubber bezel like the 1980's models with solar and atomic time. That it was a JDM watch was cool but not an impact whatsoever on me buying it.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I'd say it would be really weird if no retailer carried this watch in the USA, as it's a non-JDM one and a very significant one in the Casio lineup.

I absolutely agree; for me, it being a JDM was realistically more like a hindrance (as in, it was more difficult to get :p) than a reason / plus side getting the GW-5000. I got it because it was the best watch for me at the time - and in turn, now that the update turned out to be this good, the only thing making me question getting the new one is: my trusty GW-5000 is on my wrist every day, and it works awesomely well, still, of course. And I've been through a lot with it already, it's been my "pandemic watch" all this time, for one thing (who would have known we'd have some of those, eh), and it's also been on my wrist through some important career developments and projects and... well, you get the idea. Definitely not selling that one, even if going with the updated one as a daily.

Might seem like an odd or overly sentimental thing, but I've thought about updating this watch like "stepping out of the pandemic times" and so on, getting my second covid shot at the end of August and in a way breathing a sigh of relief in that sense; it might be a nice symbolic time to start measuring the "new time" on a "watch for the new times" like the GW-5000U ;)
Celebrating the covid shots by getting a watch is a good idea. It is a milestone

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I'm also inquiring with Chino for a GW-5000 thanks to your post. Sorry, Seiya-san, but you are sold out at the moment 😢
Let us know how it goes with Chino. I have heard good things about him. I am sticking with Seiya, if I have to wait a few weeks for this new watch. It is not like I don't have a GW-5000 already :)

I hope they change the box though. Casio went cheap on the box and stopped giving us the inner and outer box set up in favor of one box which sucks because the older set up had the manuals and other papers in the outer box and the watch in the inner. Now the booklets and stuff are in with the watch. I don't want that rattling around against my watch when shipping

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I got an email reminder from Seiya that the GW-5000U was in stock at 3:15am est this morning. When I checked at 8:20am (20 mins after I woke up) they were sold out again.

My guess is that even if I wanted one desperately right now, i would not be able to get one.

Luckily, the new features on the watch are not features I use, so I am not in a super hurry to replace the GW-5000 with a GW-5000U yet. I can wait. I figure they will be plentiful in Aug or Sept 2021 and then i will get one.

For those that want to be kept in the loop with Seiya, you can click on the email when available box and it will send you a one time email when it comes back in stock (it is a one and done thing so you have to do it all over for the next time around)

One thing I think was stupid was that the module has the ability to change the date languages but does not offer Japanese day of the week. it is a watch sold in Japan and they do have the Lineage models that have this option

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
G-Shock Advertisements: "These are the toughest watches EVER!!! LOOK, you can RUN THEM OVER WITH CARS and they WON'T BREAK. Gahhhhh, TOUGH!!!"

G-Shock owners: "I'd rather not have those pieces of paper resting against my G-shock. The paper might scratch the resin."
It is not as if i baby my G-Shocks, I am not concerned about dinging up my G-Shock while wearing it. I simply want a pristine watch to arrive to me so that i can dirty it up. I have had G-Shocks where the folded manual and other paperwork scraped the bezel up because they were banging about and yes it is a let down when you eagerly waited for your new G-Shock to arrive only to find it has a bunch of scratches on the bezel due to the manuals roaming free (some of these manuals have staples that hold them together)

Of course a G-Shock is going to be bumped about and get all sorts of marks on it when being worn. However do you want a new G arriving to you with those marks already on it? It is like buying a pair of shoes. You know they are going to get wear and tear the minute you start wearing them. However wouldn't you prefer a new pair that is from the back and has no flaws over a pair that has been tried on and worn in the store and has dirt on the underside before you even had a chance to wear them?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Hmm, the new GW-5000U (module 3495) seems to have somehow weaker sync signal detection compared to older models? I have several GW, GAW and GST models in same case and they all get the signal every night at the same time. 5000U is not getting the signal from the same inhouse location (near window), but only from the balcony.

As I'm living on the edge of the German sync signal coverage range, even a small differences in the circuitry might affect this? Has anyone noticed similar issues with the new 3495 module?

Otherwise, this GW-5000U-1JF is fantastic G-Shock 🎃
It could be you got one that is a little less sensitive. I have noticed that not all G's seem to be equal in time sync sensitivity. Even with several of the same. Case in point, i had 5 GWM500 3 months ago( i got them for $25 plus tax each) which i got for gifts. 3 of them synced right up at 2am, one synced up at 3am and the 5th did not sync unless itwas moved to another window

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Well I caved

I was not going to get a GW-5000U right away but I decided that since Seiya had some in stock right now, I might as well get one before everybody discovers he got stock and blows it all out

I hope to see it by week's end.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
it could be a batch with a less sensitive receiver in them.

I hope I did not leap to quickly and buy a "first year' model

My older GW-5000 and my GWM-5610 both sync to the atomic clock while on my wrist in a room not facing Colorado (yes my sorry ass is still up at 2am most nights)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
As requested by ComplexCarb, some pics of the watch in CDT and Stopwatch mode.

I have applied a cheap protector I bought from eBay so there is a plastic film on the watch lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does the Russian day of the week look like? I find it odd that Casio would offer a watch with several different day languages without offering Japanese (despite this being also sold in japan and Casio offering the Lineage with a digital Kanji day option)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I tried toggling for the Russian option and saw PYC which I assume was Russian.

No idea what the Russian equivalent of Tuesday is lol

I would also like to use the kanji for day of the week, but it's not available.

Thanks for the pic. It is sad Japanese is not used.

In Russian Tuesday is вторник. it basically means the second (as in second day)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
GW5000U-1JF just arrived from Chino Watch, good price and free shipping. I ordered on Monday and it arrived to me in the states via DHL this afternoon. I haven't purchased from them before, but based on this experience I recommend them, their website is a little janky but they had great communication the whole way through.

View attachment 16013156

View attachment 16013158

View attachment 16013160

View attachment 16013162
Nice!!!

You are making me excited and impatient to get my GW-5000U (it should arrive on Friday) even though I am wearing my GW-5000 (old model) as I type and it probably looks and feels the same as the new one (I probably will not use any of the new features). Though i like the GW-5000 so I had to get one.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
My original 5000 was more like yours. I replaced the original buckle with a GW-5000B (negative display) buckle. That model had a DLC buckle that I liked a lot and sourced from PacParts a few years ago.

The size of the new GW-5000U buckle is slightly larger than the originals for some reason.
So is the buckle different also? the GW-5000B buckle looks smaller. How is the original buckle and tang from the GW-5000 strap compare with the new GW-5000U strap? I am hoping it is all the same since I was counting on using a GW-5000 bezel and GW-5000 strap as replacements down the line when the ones on the watch get torn up. I also hope the bezel screws on the GW-5000U are the same as the GW-5000 bezel screws (or at least close enough to work) as I have a spare set of GW-5000 bezel screws for it.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Buckle of the GW-5000U is definitely larger. The screws appear to be the same. I'm sure you can use older buckle and tang for the U model but haven't tried yet.

I am more concerned with ability to use the spare brand new bezel and strap (and if need be the screws) that I bought for a GW-5000 on the GW-5000U. I plan on getting rid of the GW-5000 (I see no need to keep both the GW-5000 and GW-5000U) but want to keep the spare strap,bezel and screws

The new buckle size should be no problem. Only the huge Citizen buckles (like on my Steel Navihawk GPS) cause issues as it pinches the vein on the underside of the wrist.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts