Premium Member
448 Posts
These are now both in stock @ Sakurawatches

Ordered the 'Positively Blue' one :cool:
Positive Blue is also on my shopping list 🙂

·
Registered
152 Posts
$170 feels a little steep, though I have been wanting the blue 5610 for a bit to throw together with a metal bezel/bracelet.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
So it seems that Amazon has been substituting GWM-5610U for the GWM-5610 recently. I bought a GWM-5610 to give as a gift. To my surprise I was sent a GWM-5610U instead of the older GWM-5610. This was from Amazon.com themselves and not a 3rd party seller on Amazon or a fulfilled by Amazon thing.

It seems I am not the only one. A couple of the recent reviews talk about this also. One review thinks it is a fake one because they expect the green backlight.

So why pay $150 or $170 from Japan for a 5610U when you can get one for $98 plus tax and shipping?

·
Registered
880 Posts
These are now both in stock @ Sakurawatches

Ordered the 'Positively Blue' one :cool:
And the blue one is already gone :/

·
Registered
509 Posts
Jumped on restock for the GW-5000U-1ER, hopefully receiving this week in the UK.

I plan on buying a spare set of straps and a bezel for the future. I know the strap rubber is softer than the standard squares but is the bezel resin any different (softer, black or very dark grey)? I would like to have a bezel without painted letters from the DW-5600BB-1ER - I trust this is a like for like swap?

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gadget Automotive exterior

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mail from Japan, took 20 seconds to rip open:

Tokyo time:

Mobile phone Communication Device Font Telephony Gadget

Synced (UTC +1)

Watch Clock Gadget Watch accessory Material property

Interesting: different strap than EU models, it's a bit wider the buckle too (GW-M5610U-1ER on the right):

Digital camera Camera accessory Gadget Cameras & optics Reflex camera

Red, white(ish) and blue:

Watch Clock Camera accessory Gadget Watch accessory

First impressions: I like it, I reckon it's the most stealthy positive MB6 solar G-Shock square available at this moment. :cool:

Will have to test out if I like the strap or maybe get a combi bracelet (also for the red one).

Complimentary video -because this is the internet- reflecting the theme of the watch (and dreary weather):

·
Registered
401 Posts
this is from the japanese home page

DW-5600RB-2
View attachment 16203066

GW-5000U-JF
View attachment 16203067
doh. Off by a decimal. You could say it’s the other way around. That the GW is as thick as the DW 5600 and GW-B5600 series , as they’re all 13.4mm.

The GW-5000 is almost as thick as those series due to the stainless steel case and the thickness of the screw back.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Mail from Japan, took 20 seconds to rip open:

Tokyo time:

View attachment 16198418

Synced (UTC +1)

View attachment 16198420

Interesting: different strap than EU models, it's a bit wider the buckle too (GW-M5610U-1ER on the right):

View attachment 16198427

Red, white(ish) and blue:

View attachment 16198438

First impressions: I like it, I reckon it's the most stealthy positive MB6 solar G-Shock square available at this moment. :cool:

Will have to test out if I like the strap or maybe get a combi bracelet (also for the red one).

Complimentary video -because this is the internet- reflecting the theme of the watch (and dreary weather):

That is a nice watch. Casio has used that strap style for several DW-5600E and DW-6900 derivatives. I find it a bit more comfortable then the non- GW-5000 square strap. I feel it fits a bit better on the wrist. But if you don't like it then you can switch it out for a GW-5000 strap or a base model GW-M5610 strap

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’ve had my 5000U a couple of months now. Bought it from Seiya and it got to me in the uk within 48 hours so hats off to their customer service!
I have about 30 G shocks at present - been wearing them since the late 80’s. I have very large wrists and have a whole bunch of squares that fit me well - I’m not a massive square fan as they are frankly a bit small for me. I tend to wear a frogman (with no strap overhang!) However, I find the fit and comfort of the 5000U really poor. Sure, the band is noticeably softer but it doesn’t really help when the watch itself is heavier. I also don’t find it’s any longer than a standard DW5600 - or maybe that’s because the 5000 wears taller. I have a fair few screwbacks so know what to expect - I’ve been thinking of paring the collection down to Japan made screwbacks tbh. However I find the 5000U pretty underwhelming. The display seems slightly dimmer than my old trusty 5610, the buttons are a definite backwards step - maybe the worst of any G I own for stiffness - and, whilst I’m not that bothered by the LED backlight, it’s not as nice as the 5610. What really surprised me was the red and yellow bezel and band sets I got recently to dress up a couple of old watches - the resin, whilst stiffer than that on the 5000, is almost silky whilst really comfortable - and unlike the 5000 the keepers stay in place and I can’t feel the watch on my wrist. I do prefer the new module - time in all modes and as a Brit the date is finally the right way round. I thought I’d prefer the all black more subdued colourway but out of all the sober squares I own the vanilla DW5600 looks better imho. I doubt I’ll sell the 5000U but take away the ‘Japan made exclusivity’ and I find it a bit meh. I certainly won’t be switching out all my bands for the 5000 bands either - just being more flexible and ‘softer’ makes no difference to comfort for me - although if you have a smaller wrist I guess it could. As an aside why are the alarm sounds on solar atomics - especially the screwback ‘premium’ models - so poor? Give me a battery model any day to wake me up!!
Anyhow, just wanted to mention a few alternate observations of the 5000U. I’m a bit of a g shock fanboy so not choosing to knock it, just wanted to share my observations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
So it seems that Amazon has been substituting GWM-5610U for the GWM-5610 recently. I bought a GWM-5610 to give as a gift. To my surprise I was sent a GWM-5610U instead of the older GWM-5610. This was from Amazon.com themselves and not a 3rd party seller on Amazon or a fulfilled by Amazon thing.
Does anyone know if the new GW-M5610U has the exact same dimensions as the older version to fit a bezel and strap for the older original model?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
So it seems they fixed that reception issue that some of these new moduled GW-5000, GW-M5610 and GW-S5600U had in the beginning. I decided to keep one if the GW-M5610U I got from Amazon instead of sending it as a gift (I got him a GW-6900 instead). On my GW-5000U, the watch had a hard time syncing near my window. This GW-M5610 syncs to the atomic when it is on the dresser all the way on the other side of the room from the window. The other 3 atomic G-Shocks did not get the signal. I am quite impressed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i posted this same comment in the thread about receiving the signal. I have the brand new U models and they all sync regardless of where i leave them and i'm clear across the country from Colorado.

also, for Robdad, i hadn't realized it until you said it. the carbon fiber dial is definitely "brighter/darker numbers" over the 5000U, but i did notice the 5000U seems deeper in the case than the carbon fiber one.

Very interesting differences... i'm still in love with the 5000U though.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,864 Posts
i posted this same comment in the thread about receiving the signal. I have the brand new U models and they all sync regardless of where i leave them and i'm clear across the country from Colorado.

also, for Robdad, i hadn't realized it until you said it. the carbon fiber dial is definitely "brighter/darker numbers" over the 5000U, but i did notice the 5000U seems deeper in the case than the carbon fiber one.

Very interesting differences... i'm still in love with the 5000U though.
My GW-5000U syncs almost every day if work on the wrist, more consistently than my old 5000 original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xerxes300

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the 5610U needs to be in dimmer lighting before the light will come on? My 5610 el comes on in brighter rooms (which are still dim enough I wouldn't mind the light coming on.) A bit annoying (as I'm used to the other).. maybe a battery-preservation change?

561 - 580 of 613 Posts