WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
581 - 600 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the 5610U needs to be in dimmer lighting before the light will come on? My 5610 el comes on in brighter rooms (which are still dim enough I wouldn't mind the light coming on.) A bit annoying (as I'm used to the other).. maybe a battery-preservation change?
i'm confused... are you suggesting the watch has light sensor?

all my U's turn on their light whether it's sunny or night.

·
Registered
18 Posts

all my U's turn on their light whether it's sunny or night.
Sorry, not very concise of me. I meant the auto-light (when you flip your wrist towards your face; probably not using G-Shock proper terminology). So, I mean that the 5610U doesn't trigger as often as the 5610, and it's consistently when the room is dim enough to trigger the 5610, I imagine since solar powered, it reads a level of light/charging. I've tried 2 5610u's with same result: wearing both new and old, the new one only turns on when twisting my wrist if the room is dim enough. Not a biggie; i'll get used to it. I think the old one's light is prettier and more even, but the new led does make it easier to read the smaller print. And I do like the time available in timer modes, and the hold-C to get back to main screen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read on this forum that some modules with solar power batteries will disable the auto light function when the charge falls below M ( medium) .
Could your watch charge be causing this?
Thanks, but no.. it (and the other 5610U that I tried) was fully charged. I just think they've adjust the ambient light level that allows the auto light to go on. Probably conserves battery level to.. I do like the new watch though!

·
Registered
274 Posts
So it seems that Amazon has been substituting GWM-5610U for the GWM-5610 recently. I bought a GWM-5610 to give as a gift. To my surprise I was sent a GWM-5610U instead of the older GWM-5610. This was from Amazon.com themselves and not a 3rd party seller on Amazon or a fulfilled by Amazon thing.
Just a note that this does not seem to be consistent. I just tried this and received the older 5610 (not the U). Maybe they found another old box at the back of the warehouse... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just added the latest member to my GW-U family: GW-M5610U-1CJF 😍
From left to right: S5k6U, 5kU, M5k61U.
View attachment 16234343
I see it's the only one that hasn't been modded...............yet ;)

I have been wearing my GW-M5610U-1CJF a lot : the strap seems to fit me well so I see no reason to fit another one.

It goes really well with a standard pair of blue jeans :cool:

(PS: I have sold my Classic red stripe 5610U which I never really clicked with. IMO this blue/grey/black colour scheme design is much more awesome).

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The solar panel essentially is a light sensor. When light hits it, it generates a voltage, hence detection. The auto light uses a tilt switch, which consists of a metal ball rolling around in a "cage" and making electrical contact in certain position. It's basically a crude motion sensor. The power save function in the watch uses combination of light, motion and time detection to determine when it should be activated.

It's been like that even before the "U" model. Don't overlook the amount of technology used in these watches, even though in this day and age they are already considered very basic devices.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just added the latest member to my GW-U family: GW-M5610U-1CJF 😍
From left to right: S5k6U, 5kU, M5k61U.
View attachment 16234343
Just got the GW-M5610U-1CJF a few days ago and I love the watch (that blue screen!), but I hate the band. Doesn't fit me well at all. Think I'll just get the regular strap that comes with most 5600's. It's unfortunate it isn't easier to get official Casio replacement straps here in the USA. Does anyone know why that is?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Just got the GW-M5610U-1CJF a few days ago and I love the watch (that blue screen!), but I hate the band. Doesn't fit me well at all. Think I'll just get the regular strap that comes with most 5600's. It's unfortunate it isn't easier to get official Casio replacement straps here in the USA. Does anyone know why that is?
Sorry to hear the strap issue. It is indeed thicker and harder compared to many others. I would suggest the GW-5000 strap for a replacement, as it is softer and cery comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
You might try PacParts. They are located in Southern California and they sell genuine Casio parts.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts

No disrespect to you but I am very curious as to why you say it is hard to to get OEM casio straps for this watch? I am in the USA also and it literally took 10 minutes to find and buy one. Ether look at Pac Parts. If they don't have it in stock, look on eBay. I was able to find a DW-5600E strap a few months ago for $17 when I needed one. It was brand new in OEM Casio packaging.

I use these folks for a lot of my strap needs

All straps were brand new in sealed Casio packaging. They used to be my go to place for GW-5000 straps but the prices on those have risen quite a lot.

Speaking of GW-5000 straps, they are very comfortable and a lot of folks dump the straps on the GW-M5610 for these straps. (the DW-5600E and GW-M5610 straps are the same while the GW-5000 straps are more supple and longer)

·
Registered
23 Posts
No disrespect to you but I am very curious as to why you say it is hard to to get OEM casio straps for this watch? I am in the USA also and it literally took 10 minutes to find and buy one. Ether look at Pac Parts. If they don't have it in stock, look on eBay. I was able to find a DW-5600E strap a few months ago for $17 when I needed one. It was brand new in OEM Casio packaging.

I use these folks for a lot of my strap needs

All straps were brand new in sealed Casio packaging. They used to be my go to place for GW-5000 straps but the prices on those have risen quite a lot.

Speaking of GW-5000 straps, they are very comfortable and a lot of folks dump the straps on the GW-M5610 for these straps. (the DW-5600E and GW-M5610 straps are the same while the GW-5000 straps are more supple and longer)
I've found resin straps on Ebay, and of course PacParts. I should have been more specific in that I meant like some of the overseas stores that have extensive parts selections. More importantly, they seem to actually have items in stock. PacParts never seems to have anything in stock I'm looking for, let alone their high prices.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #597 ·
I've found resin straps on Ebay, and of course PacParts. I should have been more specific in that I meant like some of the overseas stores that have extensive parts selections. More importantly, they seem to actually have items in stock. PacParts never seems to have anything in stock I'm looking for, let alone their high prices.
Tiktox has a good price on the GW-5000 strap. I'm not sure how much shipping to the U.S. is, but the total cost should be way cheaper than PacParts on this item, which was $18 last year but is now $38 (not including shipping).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tiktox has a good price on the GW-5000 strap. I'm not sure how much shipping to the U.S. is, but the total cost should be way cheaper than PacParts on this item, which was $18 last year but is now $38 (not including shipping).

Yea, I'm thinking of ordering a few straps from them and a bracelet. Help offset some of the shipping costs.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts

Out of interest, have you contacted Casio USA directly or your local Casio AD?

I wanted to order a spare strap for my GPW-2000. A overseas seller was selling it for $150 and Pac Parts was selling it for $148. I went to my local Casio AD and they called Casio and told me it was about $100 (tax included) While still pricy for a strap it was still almost $50 cheaper then Pac Parts

581 - 600 of 613 Posts