WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My Dad recently gave me his watch which he bought new he thinks in the 60s, we recently had it serviced and the repairer said he could not value it as it’s unusual. I don’t even know what model it is. Searching the web makes me think it’s either a 1601 or 1603 but I can’t find any pictures on the web of similar watches.

20161022_142807.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
That has the Omani coat of arms on it - where did he buy it? ME or in the US? A lot (not all) of these "marked" dials are given as service awards to military personnel that either serve in the ME or for the military of that country. It is certainly unusual. These pieces generally can start at around $6,000 minimum from what I have seen (not a definitive valuation - best guess) and go much higher depending on condition, provenance, boxes, papers and alike. As for 1601 or 1603 I am not sure - is the bezel WG or Steel?

Good luck with the search - cracking piece and one I would not give up easily if it was in my hands .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I should add the bezel looks like it is "engine turned" steel - which would make it a 1603 from what I am aware of. The 1601 did not have a "Engine Turned or Coin" bezel as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, he says he bought it new in the uk in the 1960s and was told it was a military gift that had been commisioned within a batch , I was not sure that I believed him, your comments support that. Its a steel bezel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have checked the serial number and its 1977, we are still trying to get more info on it, we asked a jeweler to value it which he is doing but he tells me it’s not that rare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts