WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Engineer Hydrocarbon Racer Chronograph Chronometer

The HC Racer Chrono has not an obscenely large 42mm case. However, it feels and looks a lot bigger due to the large protruding pushers plus the ubiquitous and unique Ball crown guard system. Being an automatic chronograph, it also has a substantial 15.2mm case height - all this makes it a very heavy and unapologetically bold looking watch.

The movement inside is the Automatic caliber BALL RR1401-C
The watch is Chronometer certified COSC with 100m water resistance and a domed anti-reflective sapphire crystal and of course, true to Ball, it has the Tritium micro gas tubes. The lug width is 21mm.

This is certainly a very impressive watch - it retails for around $3,500 to $4,000 but there are some huge discounts on this price right now so shop around if you're keen to buy this new.

It comes in other styles that include a black or silver dial, with a ceramic tachymeter bezel as well as the brushed steel version.

The bracelet tapers and is a wonderfully over engineered work of art. The links are an exquisite combination of brushed and polished finish and then there is the magnificent clasp mechanism. It is the classiest, most self assured and satisfying clasp I have ever seen on a watch - push button release with fold over clasp. It also has the extra extensions either side. Superb.

The dial is a gorgeous, iridescent sunburst blue. I think the dials are well laid out and easy to read. The date window has a unique magnifier built in to the dial which is cool. However, what is not cool is the fact that they positioned it at 12 o'clock which I quite like to see on some watches, but not on a chronograph!! As the second hand resides in the 12 o'clock position when not in use (which is most of the time), it obscures the view of the date - very annoying. That is the only real negative comment I have about this watch, thankfully.

The caseback is very attractive and interesting as with most Ball watches. It features the Empire State Express train - the first man made vehicle to exceed 100mph.

The crown is protected by Ball's patented crown protection system and is finished with the ornate RR symbol.

The Engineer Hydrocarbon Racer truly is a stunning and unforgettable watch. I am suitably impressed and love the way it looks. It is a big. chunky, shiny and obvious timepiece though, so if you like subtle, then it is not for you.

·
Premium Member
36,346 Posts
Great review and excellent supporting pictures as well. Looks like a very nice watch.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, but I wonder why there are no tubes on the chrono hands??
Hi, yes that's a good point. I suppose it's because you wouldn't usually operate the chronograph function in the dark so it's not necessary. Would be a nice added touch though. I do think it would have been better to at least paint the chrono hands red or blue so they were easier to read.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi, yes that's a good point. I suppose it's because you wouldn't usually operate the chronograph function in the dark so it's not necessary. Would be a nice added touch though. I do think it would have been better to at least paint the chrono hands red or blue so they were easier to read.
I've got tubes on the chrono hands of the Stormchaser Glow LE. Interesting.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nice looking chronograph! I really like the shade of blue on the dial. Does the crown guard dig into your wrist at all?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice looking chronograph! I really like the shade of blue on the dial. Does the crown guard dig into your wrist at all?
Thanks, no it's fine. I did think that might have been an issue but it does not dig into the wrist at all. See attached image.

·
Registered
Breitling Aerospace, Davosa Ternos, Victorinox Airboss Chrono, Glycine Airman GMT, Etc...
275 Posts
The date window is cool. But I honestly didn't consider the second hand covering it all the time... Seems like a weird design choice

1 - 20 of 33 Posts